I've run most of the leaks folks, and using Sachup/Sachibar (go over to the Playbook area to find it here: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...rabber-737025/) it's possible to upgrade and downgrade non-destructively.

Including the radio, the OS and/or both.

What I've found is that 1720/1721, which is the "official" carrier release, is materially more stable than the later leaks. If you're getting crashes and other "odd" behavior you might want to go grab that (NOT the leak folks; use Sachup to grab the "debrick" image files for one of the Canadian or EU carriers appropriate for your device.)

It's not perfect; I've still seen a few oddities -- but it does matter. In addition the radio version matters quite a bit; the latest "leak" radio is in my experience materially less stable than 1721.

This, by the way, means we should keep an eagle-eye peeled for new radio versions much more than firmware This tends to add even more to the probability that what I believe is going on with the crashes (deadlock in the networking code) is correct, and it means that when BlackBerry finds and fixes it the update may be both small and easily-loaded in a non-destructive fashion (the radio code for 1721 is ~22MB.)

YMMV and all, but for those carriers who are sitting on this update the above toolset is a godsend and allows for experimentation without having to reload everything, every time, and in addition it allows you to mix and match components as you find necessary (or desirable) -- although with that of course comes risk!

Big, big kudos to xsacha.
    05-17-13 01:00 PM
    Thanks for the heads up!
    05-28-13 12:12 AM