Hi All,

It may be a silly question, but I just saw the news that ZTE's Axon 7 Elite / Lux has been announced for release next month. The specs are mid-high range at a budget price. Why can't BlackBerry follow this spc and pricing model?

ZTE's Axon 7 has high-end specs and design with a budget price | The Verge

I didn't even realise ZTE ranked 6th in last quarter smartphone sales until I dug a little deeper. The price is definitely what a smartphone with the listed specs should sell for. Can someone explain why BlackBerry would not consider speccing their devices up to this level at the very least, the specs speak for themself; the Axon 7 Elite / Lux devices are future proof. ZTE's new flagship could easily be adopted as a Hamburg over an Alcatel model, I think it is the definition or at the very least a great representation of what a mid-high tier and reasonably priced smartphone with the latest OS and technology should be. There is also one other new iteration they are working on which will be their top flagship phone with increased storage.

What are your thoughts?

I'm more of a Rome fan myself, but I would strongly consider an Axon 7 now and downloading all the BB services via the Play Store. I'll let you guys read the article and give your opinions.
    Last edited by agaw04; 05-28-16 at 10:28 AM.
    05-28-16 10:05 AM
    One of the factors in product pricing is recovering development costs (for both hardware and software). The more units you sell the less development cost you need to recover per unit sold. This makes it harder for a low volume producer like BlackBerry to compete on price with higher volume producers like Samsung or even ZTE.
    05-28-16 10:43 AM
    There are a combination of reasons why Blackberry can not sell their devices as low as ZTE. Since Blackberry is a Canadian company they are going to have higher salaries for their employees, at least the ones outside of China, that factor into the cost of the phone compared to ZTE. The cost of a phone is not just based on the parts, but a company factors in the research, development, parts, design, and support of the hardware/software into the cost of a phone. Blackberry also don't have the bulk purchasing power that will allow them to purchase materials at discounted price based on volume of their orders.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 10:56 AM
    One main factor is simply recovering the cost of manufacturing & development.

If you sell a high about of advices, you can make less profit per device and still cover costs.

If you sell a low amount (EG. BlackBerry) the profit you need to make per device will be higher, hence, the higher price per device.

I'm sure BlackBerry is trying their best to keep the price low. They want more sales.

A Berry A Day Keeps The Apple Away
    05-28-16 01:05 PM
    BB can't use the usual cost saving measures that Chinese companies like ZTE do (slave labor, "copyright? What copyright?", etc.), which probably explains some of the markup.
    05-28-16 01:18 PM
    Because.... #BlackBerry.
    There's little to no r&d needed to make a rectangular slab. We all know BlackBerry won't add any special unique materials, features etc. No waterproofing, no new tech or fingerprint scanners They already did/doing the hard part with "locking down android " on the priv. Throw that spec sheet into a z30 at that price and it would sell way better than the priv.

Personally I think BlackBerry hopes to sell increasing # devices while doing less and less. Which won't happen. If they want to sell they need to put in the work, a lot more r&d and or marketing.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 02:33 PM
    You guys are comparing blackberry with Chinese OEMs?

Seriously?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    david7saad likes this.
    05-29-16 06:05 PM
    Chinese companies are willing to cut everything including their profit margin to bring out devices.
    05-29-16 06:30 PM
    You guys are comparing blackberry with Chinese OEMs?

Seriously?

They're just another android oem now. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Canadian it doesn't matter now. They've thrown their hat in the ring now they need to compete.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-16 06:13 PM
    They're just another android oem now. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Canadian it doesn't matter now. They've thrown their hat in the ring now they need to compete.

Posted via CB10
    It helps when the OEM doesn't have pesky workers' rights tying one hand behind their back.
    05-30-16 06:45 PM
    Hi All,

It may be a silly question, but I just saw the news that ZTE's Axon 7 Elite / Lux has been announced for release next month. The specs are mid-high range at a budget price. Why can't BlackBerry follow this spc and pricing model?

ZTE's Axon 7 has high-end specs and design with a budget price | The Verge

I didn't even realise ZTE ranked 6th in last quarter smartphone sales until I dug a little deeper. The price is definitely what a smartphone with the listed specs should sell for. Can someone explain why BlackBerry would not consider speccing their devices up to this level at the very least, the specs speak for themself; the Axon 7 Elite / Lux devices are future proof. ZTE's new flagship could easily be adopted as a Hamburg over an Alcatel model, I think it is the definition or at the very least a great representation of what a mid-high tier and reasonably priced smartphone with the latest OS and technology should be. There is also one other new iteration they are working on which will be their top flagship phone with increased storage.

What are your thoughts?

I'm more of a Rome fan myself, but I would strongly consider an Axon 7 now and downloading all the BB services via the Play Store. I'll let you guys read the article and give your opinions.
    When BlackBerry moves to China, yes they will compete.

06-04-16 10:23 PM