I thought BlackBerry would be alone when it came to a modern Android pkb smartphone. So, I was surprised when I did a quick search that there are a number of them out there right now.

So, if released, what would the 'Vienna' be competing directly against, head to head? Which Android pkb phone is the current reigning king?

Posted via my Blackberry Classic
    11-16-15 07:35 PM
    This is the point no one sees and why BlackBerry will be successful with the Priv and the Vienna.

There IS NO competition. No single mid to high end device with a keyboard.

BlackBerry made the move I always wanted Nokia to make back in the days: Keep your great hardware and keyboards and switch to Android.

We all know how Nokia decided.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 01:38 AM
    What phones with pkb? Only some old/very low spec...

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 02:10 AM
    There are a lot of lists out there.

Here is one example / link:

http://thedroidguy.com/2014/03/top-7...eyboards-87556

Presumably, the Vienna would have the most updated specs. The NEC Terrain has some similarities.

Posted via my Blackberry Classic
    11-17-15 07:44 AM
    That's a relatively old list. I don't think anyone else makes a qwerty phone with hardware from the last year.
    11-17-15 08:09 AM
    This crap is Not even close to BlackBerry quality qwerty device .
    11-17-15 08:28 AM
    This guy who wrote this is so wrong. I choose to continue to use a BlackBerry keyboard simply because it's the most accurate way for word entry.

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015...k-in-2008.html

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    11-17-15 09:52 AM
    This guy who wrote this is so wrong. I choose to continue to use a BlackBerry keyboard simply because it's the most accurate way for word entry.

That guy would be from the reversed UTB Blogs, if such a thing existed. ie, little to no credibility

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    11-17-15 11:04 AM
    There IS NO competition. No single mid to high end device with a keyboard.
    Which is why I'm on a 3 year old phone that has a keyboard (Non blackberry.) Spec-wise, it was the best out there before the Priv came out. Blackberry being sold out of the Priv should be evidence enough that "touch only" is absurd. It would be like going to touch screens instead of your xbox/ps4 controller. I am glad it's making a hit, and hopefully this will be what the company needs to be a big player in the smartphone market again.
    11-17-15 02:54 PM
    What device is it if I may ask? Thx

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 02:58 AM

This guy is a complete *****. It's like being stuck in 2008 because it has a keyboard that doesn't take ANYTHING away from the use of the phone? How does that make any sense? And at one point he says this:

"I gave up and went to using the software keyboard included. Much better. As an upshot, my display won�t be covered in thumbprints from sliding up the display all the time now, either."

How the hell do you figure that sliding the screen will leave thumbprints, but typing on the effing screen with your effing THUMBS won't?!?

There is one thing and one thing only that I gathered from the article: Tom Dawson is like most other iOS or Android fanatics who doesn't know anything about modern day BlackBerry devices, yet arrogantly shuts them down without giving them a chance. His jab at the beginning about BlackBerry finally releasing a phone with a modern OS just shows me he's spent absolutely no time with ANY BlackBerry 10 devices, which run an OS that is superior to that of Android or iOS. What a moron!

ClassicSQC100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-18-15 03:36 AM
    There is no competition. I looked everywhere even on Chinese sites. eBay has some old 4 year old android 2.0 phones and Amazon does too. The Priv is one of a kind for now.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Priv
    11-18-15 02:06 PM
    There is no competition. I looked everywhere even on Chinese sites. eBay has some old 4 year old android 2.0 phones and Amazon does too. The Priv is one of a kind for now.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Priv
    Maybe we'll see the return of HTC phones with Keyboards?

11-18-15 02:21 PM
    Maybe we'll see the return of HTC phones with Keyboards?

Veeeeery unlikely. They answered my question if they'd talk qwerty to us again with this:

QWERTY competition?-img_20151118_214043.png

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 02:41 PM
    Veeeeery unlikely. They answered my question if they'd talk qwerty to us again with this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151118_214043.png 
Views:	843 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	381134

Posted via CB10
    A) that's hilarious

B) makes sense really, even if HTC had any interest in doing pkb's again, it would probably take Priv being one of the most popular android phones out there... and that's just not gonna happen really.

11-18-15 05:41 PM
    This guy is a complete *****. It's like being stuck in 2008 because it has a keyboard that doesn't take ANYTHING away from the use of the phone? How does that make any sense? And at one point he says this:

"I gave up and went to using the software keyboard included. Much better. As an upshot, my display won�t be covered in thumbprints from sliding up the display all the time now, either."

How the hell do you figure that sliding the screen will leave thumbprints, but typing on the effing screen with your effing THUMBS won't?!?

There is one thing and one thing only that I gathered from the article: Tom Dawson is like most other iOS or Android fanatics who doesn't know anything about modern day BlackBerry devices, yet arrogantly shuts them down without giving them a chance. His jab at the beginning about BlackBerry finally releasing a phone with a modern OS just shows me he's spent absolutely no time with ANY BlackBerry 10 devices, which run an OS that is superior to that of Android or iOS. What a moron!

Agreed a moron he is.....I figured he was one of them brainwashed IOS fruit users. It's really a joke that these editorials make it past the editors desk!

11-19-15 05:06 AM
    A) that's hilarious

B) makes sense really, even if HTC had any interest in doing pkb's again, it would probably take Priv being one of the most popular android phones out there... and that's just not gonna happen really.

The missing key with android devices is the lack of accuracy of word touch typing. I am a dedicated BlackBerry user but did sway a bit when the first note was put out. I switched temporarily and also used a s4 and galaxy tablet running kitkat. It was always the bain of my frustration how terrible the touch typing experience is with android devices. I know I type correctly.

BlackBerry has done one of the best iconic moves in business. They basically solved this issue with the Priv. I'm busy.I'm on the go. I need to respond to a lot of business emails. Android users can type happily. Currently this is the only high spec keyboard android device.

11-19-15 05:15 AM
    Agreed a moron he is.....I figured he was one of them brainwashed IOS fruit users. It's really a joke that these editorials make it past the editors desk!

He's the chief editor on the site, that's how it got past lol

11-19-15 08:18 AM
    The missing key with android devices is the lack of accuracy of word touch typing. I am a dedicated BlackBerry user but did sway a bit when the first note was put out. I switched temporarily and also used a s4 and galaxy tablet running kitkat. It was always the bain of my frustration how terrible the touch typing experience is with android devices. I know I type correctly.

BlackBerry has done one of the best iconic moves in business. They basically solved this issue with the Priv. I'm busy.I'm on the go. I need to respond to a lot of business emails. Android users can type happily. Currently this is the only high spec keyboard android device.

Ever try SwiftKey? I don't think it's quite as good as BlackBerry vkb, but I always found it a close second

Also, do you actually like the physical keyboard? I used the phone in store briefly a few days ago and found the keys to be pretty unresponsive, just didn't get a very satisfying feedback while typing. Made it so I wasn't as confident in the accuracy of my entry, much like you typing on your average glass. However I'm wondering if it's just one or both of two things being: I'm spoiled as hell because I use a Passport and Classic which I think are the best two pkb's BlackBerry's ever made, which means it would just take more than a simple session in Telus to get used to. And/or the keyboard just takes a little breaking in (wasn't actually as big of a fan of either keyboard on the classic and passport until I'd broken them in a bit)

Also the size? Don't you wish the pkb was just a tad bigger? Seems they didn't use all of their room at the bottom, but I guess the keyboard would be around the same size as most of the old curves or bolds, I sometimes forget how big the keyboard really is on the classic.

11-19-15 08:32 AM
    Physical keyboards still the best! Glad BlackBerry stepped up their game.. I've been waiting for the day I can go physical again

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 07:18 AM
    The NEC Terrain is still on AT&T right now....

But yeah it's a two year old phone that is made for a specific "ultimate rugged smartphone" market.
    11-30-15 10:55 AM
    What device is it if I may ask? Thx

Posted via CB10
    LG has one at Verizon right now. Samsung had one last year and it may still be around. Motorola still does one I believe. PKBs on Android are out there but none are high-end, flagship, or arguably mid-tier.
    11-30-15 01:23 PM
    Most qwerty lists on the net are outdated.
    I usually look on gsmarena Phone Finder it has the Phone with Photo and specs from either date of release or by popularity.

Blackberry is on top
    08-17-16 04:55 AM
    There is absolutely no competition when it comes to an android PKB device. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this because BlackBerry holds almost all of the patents that make a PKB for mobile good?

I absolutely love my PRIV and have gotten completely used to the Android OS. Looking forward to the Rome or whatever it is coming out next.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    08-17-16 09:08 AM
    basically, last QWERTY phone which is not blackberry, was released with 2.5 android (or so) in 2012...
    08-18-16 04:11 AM
40 12