I think people are saying it because you are on a forum about a BlackBerry device and BlackBerry's brand is synonymous with physical keyboards. The market is flooded with slab all touch smartphones without a PKB (99% of phones in fact), but you choose to post about wanting an all touch phone in a forum dedicated to a device that is the exact opposite of what you say you want. It's confusing.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Priv
    The market for slabs (99%) show their popularity among consumers. Why not expect BlackBerry to actually produce popular devices?

I wonder if iPhone and Galaxy users think of their phones as slabs? Or do only BlackBerry users call all-touch phones slabs???
    Last edited by Denise in Los Angeles; 11-16-15 at 02:08 PM.
    lift likes this.
    11-16-15 01:10 PM
    The market for slabs (99%) show their popularity among consumers. Why not expect BlackBerry to actually produce popular devices?

I wonder if iPhone and Galaxy users think of their phones as slabs? Or do only BlackBerry users call all-touch phones slabs???
    The 99% market share for slabs is only because consumers haven't had a choice for a looong time. I certainly wouldn't have owned so many all touch phones myself if I'd had other options. I still own a lot of them and could leave the house with one any day (Samsung Galaxy Note 2, S3, Amazon Fire Phone, Zenfone 2, Nexus 5, Nexus 6 and more), but there's no good reason to use any of them. They are all virtually the same.

I consider myself to be very lucky that BlackBerry decided to release something different. If I spent another penny on a phone that's just like the others I already have, I'd feel like a fool.
    11-16-15 08:06 PM
    The 99% market share for slabs is only because consumers haven't had a choice for a looong time. I certainly wouldn't have owned so many all touch phones myself if I'd had other options. I still own a lot of them and could leave the house with one any day (Samsung Galaxy Note 2, S3, Amazon Fire Phone, Zenfone 2, Nexus 5, Nexus 6 and more), but there's no good reason to use any of them. They are all virtually the same.

I consider myself to be very lucky that BlackBerry decided to release something different. If I spent another penny on a phone that's just like the others I already have, I'd feel like a fool.
    Yes and no. Yes, I think that there is a market for PKB's that is under exploited. I would suggest that the PKB market would be more accepting of the Vienna than the PRIV if for no other reason than the price. BlackBerry should be able to sell 5 million units. Personally, I do not see a market for an Android Passport given these new Android phones.

Like there is still a market for a 4 inch iPhone, there might be a market for a small screened Android PKB.

As far as an all touch BlackBerry the competition is very tough. They need one but they have to find a niche. An under exploited portion of the market. Nokia / Microsoft make nice phones. That is the level of quality that I would be seeking from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 08:49 PM
    How about those that want BlackBerry privacy in an android slab device? I guess there aren't many.
    I don't know that BlackBerry has yet offered any special privacy advantages in Android, since Lollipop doesn't allow granular control of permissions. I don't think DTek, at this stage, means much. In terms of security, it's still early days. If the Priv holds up for a few months without being rooted or hacked, and DTek works in a more integrated way with Marshmallow, BlackBerry will have something to crow about. For now, they have to keep it low key.

As far as we know, the BBXP Suite will be available for Android devices at some point. When that happens, the only remaining differentiator for a BlackBerry all-touch will be security--assuming that the BlackBerry hardware really is more secure. We just don't know yet. But if that pans out, I think we may see an all-touch. That would be the time to pull the plug completely on BB10 and have a range of secure Android models. At the present time, I doubt that there are enough people willing to pay top dollar for an all-touch that might be more secure than other Android flagships.

If the Priv is reasonably successful--i.e., it makes some money and stays unhacked--I think that opens a few doors for BlackBerry, at least a little bit. That's the beginning of rebuilding the brand.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-17-15 08:28 AM
    I think there are areas that can be exploited. Most consumers would appreciate more built in memory. Superb sound. Best in class drop protection. Porsche quality materials. A Nokia quality Camera.

Just build a world class phone rather than just an OK one.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 10:57 AM
    I think there are areas that can be exploited. Most consumers would appreciate more built in memory. Superb sound. Best in class drop protection. Porsche quality materials. A Nokia quality Camera.

Just build a world class phone rather than just an OK one.

Posted via CB10
    I agree but one problem is people only want to pay a second class price for a world class device. Look at all the various people and media outlets complaining about the so called high price of the Priv?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-17-15 12:35 PM
    Look at all the various people and media outlets complaining about the so called high price of the Priv?
    So called? That price for an android phone is high. Especially when you factor in the fact that you get no more privacy from the device than other new high end android devices.
    11-17-15 03:36 PM
    So called? That price for an android phone is high. Especially when you factor in the fact that you get no more privacy from the device than other new high end android devices.
    If you want to compare prices then how about the Note 5? It has no SD card slot no physical keyboard and no root of trust. Don't listen to some biased reviews posted about how the Priv is no more secure than an average Android device. Instead read up on what security measures BlackBerry has implemented, there are multiple threads on this issue.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/10/...roid-platform/

11-19-15 03:01 AM
    To go along with the 3,141,592,653 threads just like this one. I haven't seen this many broken records since disco was in style.
    Agreed!? When is it going to stop already!!!

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    John D6 likes this.
    11-19-15 05:01 AM
    I just love Physical Keyboards and since I started using my Passport, I can't think put it away for any of the Full Touch Devices...

I am now using it Passport as my Personal Phone and Classic as my Office Phone...

Posted via CB thru BlackBerry Passport on 10.3.2.2639 Vodafone India
    11-19-15 08:40 AM
    I for one welcome our new all-keyboard overlords.

If you like all-touch devices so much, there are 3,141,592,653 to choose from on the market already.
    Very true. But I just don't want a phone. I want a BlackBerry! All things even, I will buy a BlackBerry. I like all virtual but there is no android BlackBerry in this space. For me it's a huge strategic mistake on their part.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 06:01 AM
    Y'all don't seem to realize a lot of us use BlackBerry for the functionality, not the physical keyboard. There are a lot of Z10/Z30 users out there.

The Priv has most of that functionality, and I'm fairly sure if/when I get it, the keyboard will be closed most of the time.

Posted via CB10
    Oh we get it just fine... doesn't mean that's even slightly feasible for BlackBerry to make an all touch Droid phone right now. They're not making phones for you because they don't care about the handful of people who like all touch BlackBerry 10 phones. Sorry to break it to you, but you're not making then any money. None of us are, the new Android phones are for people who already have android phones... how it BlackBerry possibly gonna win them over when there are 545,645,562,239,632 other android phones to choose from? They need something no-one else has, enter the pkb.

TL;DR BlackBerry doesn't make phones for you. They make phones to make money

ClassicSQC100-4/10.3.2.2639
    11-20-15 06:17 AM
    Oh we get it just fine... doesn't mean that's even slightly feasible for BlackBerry to make an all touch Droid phone right now. They're not making phones for you because they don't care about the handful of people who like all touch BlackBerry 10 phones. Sorry to break it to you, but you're not making then any money. None of us are, the new Android phones are for people who already have android phones... how it BlackBerry possibly gonna win them over when there are 545,645,562,239,632 other android phones to choose from? They need something no-one else has, enter the pkb.

TL;DR BlackBerry doesn't make phones for you. They make phones to make money

Wow, very helpful, thanks so much for the insight.
    11-20-15 07:50 AM
    Wow, very helpful, thanks so much for the insight.
    Well I'm very sorry that the truth upsets you so much lmao

11-20-15 01:17 PM
    One word:

"Predominantly..." ;-P

Lol

�   AC/CB - back in black or highway to mobile h*ll? ;-P   �
    11-23-15 02:56 AM
    I touch my passport absolutely everyday. It's all touch all day. I'm assuming blackberry will make an all touch android slab within a few months. Pretty much what they did with the bb10 phones. Maybe they just don't release 7 phones at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-15 04:07 PM
    I think this future device is definitely going in the right direction as typing accuracy can't be beat by manual touch typing! But I've noticed with android lollipop and with the BlackBerry style keyboard with flick up word predict this rendition of the android os is sooooooo much more accurate in registering correct typing. Constant backspacing is a waste of time and not productive especially when you need the device for business. You simply cant waste time dealing with mistyped words. That use to be the bain of my frsutrations and thats why i will always be a bb user android or not.
    So heres the thing? With the much improved accuracy in the os and the bb keyboard apk, isnt it redundant to constantly have the pkb available at the bottom of the device. So far i am touch typing alot more and only using the slide out if i have to enter a high volume of words like an email, letter, document, etc.
    I like the Priv where you can just simply slide the pkb outta site if you don't need it.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    11-23-15 04:45 PM
    I touch my passport absolutely everyday. It's all touch all day. I'm assuming blackberry will make an all touch android slab within a few months. Pretty much what they did with the bb10 phones. Maybe they just don't release 7 phones at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    How do you post lol. No vkb does it?
    11-23-15 05:33 PM
    THIS!!!!

OP - There is no way Blackberry can realistically compete with all the other all-touch device manufactures in Android. They can't compete on cost (the Chinese and South Korean companies are brilliant at that), they can't compete on modern features like fingerprint scanners because everyone else bought up the technology and they can't compete in the super premium space (Samsung has that locked up in Android and Apple for iOS).

So they need a key distinguishing feature to have any shot at a decent customer base. And, their patented, brilliant keyboards are going to be it so they would be crazy to introduce an all-touch device until they built up a loyal PKB audience and then they could dabble in it.
    Fingerprint scanners are gimmicky and not secure...I am glad they didn't include one. Pkb all the way!

11-26-15 01:57 AM
    Fingerprint scanners are gimmicky and not secure...I am glad they didn't include one. Pkb all the way!
    More apologies and excuses for BlackBerry. You really are right on top of all the negative posts aren't you.
    11-26-15 09:11 PM
    Now? Yes,

With BlackBerry 10 they have OS. With android, they are just another android manufacturer who is trying to make the phone a bit different than the other.

Basically they are entering a new war, android war is about spec, gimmicky features, and custom UI, and camera quality

And it's a tough

 Passport via CB10 || previous device : Q10, Z3, Z10, Storm 9530, 8520, 8530, 9000, 8320
    11-27-15 09:34 AM
    I want a VKB Passport. BlackBerry has the best VKB

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    11-27-15 10:25 AM
    If you want to compare prices then how about the Note 5? It has no SD card slot no physical keyboard and no root of trust. Don't listen to some biased reviews posted about how the Priv is no more secure than an average Android device. Instead read up on what security measures BlackBerry has implemented, there are multiple threads on this issue.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/10/...roid-platform/

I'm sure the Note 3 already has Knox, which has trust boot built in. And what it can do more (than Priv): it can boot Android and other OS's, in parallel.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    11-27-15 11:48 AM
    I would appreciate an all touch device. Already pretty much committed to a priv so I guess it doesn't matter. Never had a pkb device, kind of curious how it will be. I will however say that a fingerprint reader is NOT useless or just another feature. It's super useful for quick access to the phone. People need to make realistic excuses for BlackBerry and not every excuse. That's not to say I can't see why there's no fingerprint reader. Probably ran out of space to fit it to be honest. It's already pretty amazing what they fit into the slider form factor.

Posted via CB10
    domokeats09 likes this.
    12-20-15 12:41 PM
    I would appreciate an all touch device. Already pretty much committed to a priv so I guess it doesn't matter. Never had a pkb device, kind of curious how it will be. I will however say that a fingerprint reader is NOT useless or just another feature. It's super useful for quick access to the phone. People need to make realistic excuses for BlackBerry and not every excuse. That's not to say I can't see why there's no fingerprint reader. Probably ran out of space to fit it to be honest. It's already pretty amazing what they fit into the slider form factor.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, people (myself included, really) need to stop ripping on fingerprint scanners so much. They're really not a terrible idea. Personally, I could not care less whether one of my phones has one or not, but I'm starting finally to see the appeal

 PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 
    12-21-15 02:44 AM
119 ... 2345