Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Unlock problem with 8520, please help.

Before continuing note I'm in the UK.

Alright, so I was given a BB 8520 by my brother who upgraded to the (extremely sexy) bold 9900. The only problem was that it was locked to Virgin Media. I looked up online how to unlock by gaining the MEP code and IMEI, to which I was successful and it's managed to recognise the o2 sim card.

When I go to Options > Advanced Options > SIM card, it gives me a long number (ID: ) and shows me my o2 phone number.
    If I try to make a call, the call fails instantly.
    If I try *#10# to check the balance I get 'Supplementary service error: General error.'
    I can't receive texts/calls either.

On the main(home) screen it shows that I do have a signal, along with gprs next to it.
    I've tried putting other sim cards in (giffgaff) and it seems to work fine (I received a text) although on Options > Advanced Options > SIM card, it does not show a number for the giffgaff simcard.

I'm quite confused and getting increasingly frustrated.
    Please help!

Many thanks in advance,
    Gav.

ps: Although I do appreciate all efforts to help, please do not suggest a 'battery pull' because I have tried this many many times to no avail, thank you.

Global Posts
    33,369 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

I've moved this to the Unlocking Forum where our Unlocking pros will be glsad to help you figure it out.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    I've moved this to the Unlocking Forum where our Unlocking pros will be glsad to help you figure it out.
    Thank you! Apologies for posting in the wrong section.
    Gav.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

No one? :s
    Gav.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

When you are in Options > Advanced Options > SIM card, type in mepd on the keyboard, it will then change to a different screen that should say sim card: security disabled at the top and the rest of the screen should look like the picture. If it says Sim card: Invalid at the top the phone is not properly unlocked. Im not too familiar with UK carriers but its also possible that Virgin uses a cell frequency that is not compatible with the phone whereas giffgaff does. Hope this has been of help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unlock problem with 8520, please help.-img_0208.jpg  
    Visit us for all of your blackberry unlocking needs!
    Unlocking Partner

Global Posts
    4,395 Global Posts
    PIN
    288A56CA-Feel free to add us!

Useful info.
    CellUnlock.net Team|www.cellunlock.net
    Your #1 Source to Unlock your Phone Remotely by Code!
    Unlock iPhone, Blackberry, Samsung, HTC and More Remotely 100% Guaranteed & Lowest Price Guaranteed!
    Use coupon crackb50 and get 50% Discount on Most of our Unlocking Services!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Unhappy Network out if order, can't send text and can't make call on 18xxx, BB8520 please help

Hi,

I unlocked my BB 8520 locked with fido and inserted mobilicity sim but can't send text and make calls to numbers like 1866 or 1877 etc. I can receive text and make calls inside country. Tried many things like SMS centre, network to send over etc. it displays CDN roaming instead to carrier name.Please help thanks.
    CrackBerry Addict

Sorry the 8520 is not compatible with Mobilciity

you need an AWS phone for it to work with Mobilicity

Pretty much any phone from Wind if unlocked will work with Mobilicity as well as newer T-Mobile USA phones
    BlackberryCodeSource.com

Current Phones Z30, Q10, iP5S, Samsung GNote 3, HTC One M8!

Can't wait for the one and only game changing......... BB Passport !!!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

For the OP and anyone else who has a similar issue, Virgin use what is known as a Service Provide lock on BlackBerry phones. To remove this you will need the MEP4 unlock code. The traditional MEP2 which most networks use won't work, because it is a different lock that needs to be removed.

When you go to Options > Advanced Options > SIM card and type in MEPD, you should see a personalisation screen. This is the screen that tells you which (if any) locks are active. If it is the Service Provider, then you're on to something.

Just make sure you supplier you go with can provide you with the MEP4 as well as the MEP2, as I believe not all will or can.