CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Unlock Curve 8530 Verizon

I currently have a Curve 8530 from Verizon, but would like to unlock it so that I can use this phone in Canada with Telus.

I've tried to read through the forums, however, I'm stumped at the part where it says SIM CARD in the Advanced Options (I don't have one).

Is there any way to unlock this phone even though it's CDMA (?). If so, any instructions on how to get the code and unlock it myself?

Thanks everyone!

CDMA phones cannot be unlocked. Some phones have both CDMA and GSM but only GSM can be unlocked for use on a different GSM carrier.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,422 Global Posts

You won't be able to use the SIM slot in this phone, because Telus doesn't have a GSM 2G network. They did have a CDMA network, but I'm 99% sure a non-Telus CDMA phone won't work on Telus.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

How can I tell whether it is a CDMA or GSM phone? Any suggestions as to what to do at this point?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Also, would a Sprint BB (same model type) be able to unlocked and used for Telus??

Global Posts
    5,422 Global Posts

The 8530 is a dual CDMA-GSM phone (or "world phone", as Sprint and Verizon like to call it.)

It doesn't matter which CDMA carrier's phone you get--if it ain't Telus', you'll need it flashed. And that's not something a regular user can do. And it might be illegal too.

As Sedalia said, you don't unlock CDMA phones, you unlock their GSM side (if they are the so-called "world phones.) For example, you can't unlock an 8330, because it's purely a CDMA device.

Telus is special, because they don't have a GSM network. They started out with CDMA, and then went HSPA+. If you're going to be using prepaid, I suggest you use Bell, Rogers, or some other network that has a legacy GSM network.

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I've gotten my hands on a Blackberry Torch (unsure of the exact model/ service provider since a friend will be giving it to me). Sorry to sound redundant, but I'm slightly desperate to find a way to unlock any phone....would the Torch be able to be unlocked? And would it be able to be used for other Canadian service providers (just not Telus?)

Thank you so much for all the help. Much appreciated

Global Posts
    5,422 Global Posts

For your sake, I really hope it's an AT&T Torch 9800/9810/9850 (and not a T-Mobile phone, or the Verizon Torch 9860.) With an AT&T phone, you will get 3G only, and yes, it can be unlocked.

To summarize, there are two issues here:

1. Telus does not have a GSM 2G network,
    2. Telus' 3G bands don't match T-Mobile's (but they do match AT&T's)

#1 is a relatively unique issue with Telus. If you were getting service in Canada with Rogers or Bell, a Torch from either AT&T or T-Mobile would have worked (you'd be on 2G with a TMO Torch, but hey...something is better than nothing.)
    Last edited by raino; 12-04-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: mistakenly said that an AT&T phone will get 2G on Telus

CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,571 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    The 8530 is a dual CDMA-GSM phone (or "world phone", as Sprint and Verizon like to call it.)

It doesn't matter which CDMA carrier's phone you get--if it ain't Telus', you'll need it flashed. And that's not something a regular user can do. And it might be illegal too.

As Sedalia said, you don't unlock CDMA phones, you unlock their GSM side (if they are the so-called "world phones.) For example, you can't unlock an 8330, because it's purely a CDMA device.

Telus is special, because they don't have a GSM network. They started out with CDMA, and then went HSPA+. If you're going to be using prepaid, I suggest you use Bell, Rogers, or some other network that has a legacy GSM network.
    The 8530 is CDMA-only. It does not use SIM cards.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,490 Global Posts

Default Unlock Curve 8530 Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by hales04 View Post
    I've gotten my hands on a Blackberry Torch (unsure of the exact model/ service provider since a friend will be giving it to me). Sorry to sound redundant, but I'm slightly desperate to find a way to unlock any phone....would the Torch be able to be unlocked? And would it be able to be used for other Canadian service providers (just not Telus?)

Thank you so much for all the help. Much appreciated
    Should work on Rogers :-)