Unlock Curve 8530 Verizon
I currently have a Curve 8530 from Verizon, but would like to unlock it so that I can use this phone in Canada with Telus.
I've tried to read through the forums, however, I'm stumped at the part where it says SIM CARD in the Advanced Options (I don't have one).
Is there any way to unlock this phone even though it's CDMA (?). If so, any instructions on how to get the code and unlock it myself?
- 12-03-12, 08:16 PM #6
The 8530 is a dual CDMA-GSM phone (or "world phone", as Sprint and Verizon like to call it.)
It doesn't matter which CDMA carrier's phone you get--if it ain't Telus', you'll need it flashed. And that's not something a regular user can do. And it might be illegal too.
As Sedalia said, you don't unlock CDMA phones, you unlock their GSM side (if they are the so-called "world phones.) For example, you can't unlock an 8330, because it's purely a CDMA device.
Telus is special, because they don't have a GSM network. They started out with CDMA, and then went HSPA+. If you're going to be using prepaid, I suggest you use Bell, Rogers, or some other network that has a legacy GSM network.
I've gotten my hands on a Blackberry Torch (unsure of the exact model/ service provider since a friend will be giving it to me). Sorry to sound redundant, but I'm slightly desperate to find a way to unlock any phone....would the Torch be able to be unlocked? And would it be able to be used for other Canadian service providers (just not Telus?)
Thank you so much for all the help. Much appreciated
- 12-04-12, 09:23 PM #8
For your sake, I really hope it's an AT&T Torch 9800/9810/9850 (and not a T-Mobile phone, or the Verizon Torch 9860.) With an AT&T phone, you will get 3G only, and yes, it can be unlocked.
To summarize, there are two issues here:
1. Telus does not have a GSM 2G network,
2. Telus' 3G bands don't match T-Mobile's (but they do match AT&T's)
#1 is a relatively unique issue with Telus. If you were getting service in Canada with Rogers or Bell, a Torch from either AT&T or T-Mobile would have worked (you'd be on 2G with a TMO Torch, but hey...something is better than nothing.)
Last edited by raino; 12-04-12 at 09:28 PM. Reason: mistakenly said that an AT&T phone will get 2G on Telus
- By ilovepizza90 in forum BlackBerry Curve 85xxReplies: 7Last Post: 04-22-10, 09:05 PM
- By N3rd4Christ in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & TradeReplies: 8Last Post: 04-14-10, 04:46 PM
- By ctforever in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 3Last Post: 04-11-10, 10:25 PM
- By ctforever in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: 04-11-10, 12:18 PM
- By patrick.waugh in forum Verizon WirelessReplies: 2Last Post: 04-07-08, 08:35 PM