Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Unlock blackberry 8830

Hello I have a Blackberry 8830 that takes a sim card and says it is to work with Telus mobility. I have a rogers at&t account and would like to take my sim card from it and use it with the blackberry. It will not pick up any reception or register. Would anyone be able to help me out? Please let me know asap. Thanks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

BlackBerry 8830 World Edition uses Dual-band 800/1900 Mhz CDMA2000 1X Ev-DO networks and Dual-band 900/1800 Mhz GSM/GPRS networks

In Canada
    Rogers uses the 850/1900 Mhz GSM/GPRS networks. This is why you can't use the 8830
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Similar question, Bell Mobility user

I travel a lot to South America, and I bought my 8830 WE specifically to use there. My first trip since buying it is to Uruguay, where GSMworld lists Antel as using GSM1800.
    Is my Bell Mobility 8830 locked? Will I be able to acquire a local SIM card over there.

Thanks in advance.
    CrackBerry Newbie

if you can get both cdma and gsm network such as in canada mexico puerto rico etc., which is cheaper? what is the price break down and what are the advantages and disadvantages
    CrackBerry Newbie

I Have A Blackberry 8830 For Sprint Does Anyone Know How Unlock The And What Is The Process I Got Tmobile Now And Blackberry Pearl But I Want To Use The One I Got For Sprint Can Anyone Walk Me Thru It With The Proper Codes Thank You
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

SPRINT SELLS THEIR 8830'S UNLOCKED RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!!!

And to answer the original question, no, you cannot use a ROGERS SIM in a TELUS (or any 8830, for that matter) because they only use SIM cards OUTSIDE OF NORTH AMERICA where CDMA is not available - the phone is not equipped with the proper GSM bands.

However, while roaming in Europe, for example, you can use a European SIM in your phone.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Post Assumptions

Why is it everyone wants to just charge in conversation like a know-it-all? Anyone that thinks the united states does not use SIM cards is a jacka@#! Cingular and T-Mobile both use SIM cards...and their GSM networks. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA for their networks, but if you have an unlocked Blackberry 8830 World Edition with either of them you can plug a pre-paid SIM card form T-Moble in your phone and get additional roaming.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigBueller View Post
    Why is it everyone wants to just charge in conversation like a know-it-all? Anyone that thinks the united states does not use SIM cards is a jacka@#! Cingular and T-Mobile both use SIM cards...and their GSM networks. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA for their networks, but if you have an unlocked Blackberry 8830 World Edition with either of them you can plug a pre-paid SIM card form T-Moble in your phone and get additional roaming.
    May I suggest that for a first post, you would gain more benefit from asking a question than from answering one, belligerently and incorrectly at that, from five months ago. You are sadly demonstrating the same behavior you decry in your first sentence.

Here is the link to the correct unlocking information: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/unl...s-8830-a-1356/
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have a quick question...I have a blackberry world edition phone that is locked. It's currently on Bell. So if I pay to get it unlocked, can I not use it in Canada/America, with a plan from like Fido etc..? Will it only work outside of Canada/America?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

The 8830 will only work on European GSM frequencies. Locked or unlocked, it will not work on North American GSM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamh10 View Post
    SPRINT SELLS THEIR 8830'S UNLOCKED RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!!!

And to answer the original question, no, you cannot use a ROGERS SIM in a TELUS (or any 8830, for that matter) because they only use SIM cards OUTSIDE OF NORTH AMERICA where CDMA is not available - the phone is not equipped with the proper GSM bands.

However, while roaming in Europe, for example, you can use a European SIM in your phone.
    I am travelling to the Bahamas next week. They use GSM. My friend has an extra 8830 Sprint that he is not using and gave to me.

Are you saying I don't need to purchase unlock codes, the phone is unlocked, so when I get to the bahamas, I just can get a local sim and put in it and use it.

I was planning on just using it for phone and text. Is there a way to get data as well?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Red face Blackberry N00b desperately in need of help :)

Hello everybody (If there's still people reading this thread Hehe)

I'm really new to this blackberry world..more used to Windows Mobile and iPhone.
    Can anybody confirm that a 8830 from Bell, if unlocked, would take the sim card from Rogers Canada?

If so, can anybody help me figure out how to unlock it??

That would greatly appreciated )

Cheers everyone!
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,784 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedKetchup View Post
    Hello everybody (If there's still people reading this thread Hehe)

I'm really new to this blackberry world..more used to Windows Mobile and iPhone.
    Can anybody confirm that a 8830 from Bell, if unlocked, would take the sim card from Rogers Canada?

If so, can anybody help me figure out how to unlock it??

That would greatly appreciated )

Cheers everyone!
    Even if the 8830 is unlocked, you cannot use it on any North American GSM carrier's network. Therefore, it will not work on Rogers.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    What's that?

No it will NOT work, just as has been said in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    The 8830 will only work on European GSM frequencies. Locked or unlocked, it will not work on North American GSM.

CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Thanks for the VERY fast reply! Its too bad...got it for free...I was ready to keep it as a backup phone...now it will only serve as a alarm clock i guess...
    Unlocking Partner

Global Posts
    4,388 Global Posts
    PIN
    288A56CA-Feel free to add us!

Quote Originally Posted by RedKetchup View Post
    Thanks for the VERY fast reply! Its too bad...got it for free...I was ready to keep it as a backup phone...now it will only serve as a alarm clock i guess...
    Lol..there are still people on Ebay looking for them, you can try to sell it.
    CellUnlock.net Team|www.cellunlock.net
    Your #1 Source to Unlock your Phone Remotely by Code!
    Unlock iPhone, Blackberry, Samsung, HTC and More Remotely 100% Guaranteed & Lowest Price Guaranteed!
    Use coupon crackb50 and get 50% Discount on Most of our Unlocking Services!
    CrackBerry User

looking to sell my Sprint 8830 and notice that people are willing to pay quite a bit more if it is unlocked. I know nothing about BB's and would like to know how to tell if it is unlocked, and how to unlock if it isn't. I saw an earlier post someone said Sprint sold them unlocked. Is this true?
    Unlocking Partner

Global Posts
    4,388 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by jason25 View Post
    looking to sell my Sprint 8830 and notice that people are willing to pay quite a bit more if it is unlocked. I know nothing about BB's and would like to know how to tell if it is unlocked, and how to unlock if it isn't. I saw an earlier post someone said Sprint sold them unlocked. Is this true?
    Some 9630's and most 9650's from Sprint come unlocked. The problem with the 8830 is that even once unlocked you will not be able to use it with a SIM card in North America. Once Unlocked it will only work overseas with a SIM card because the 8830 GSM side of the phone is not compatible with the GSM frequencies used in North America.
    Unlock iPhone, Blackberry, Samsung, HTC and More Remotely 100% Guaranteed & Lowest Price Guaranteed!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

Everything CellUnlock.net told you is correct, but he didn't answer your question, "how to tell if it is unlocked." To verify your phone is unlocked, go to Options / Advanced Options / SIM Card. Type the letters MEPD. They won't be shown on the screen. If Network is Active, the phone is not unlocked. If Network is Disabled, the phone is unlocked.
    Unlocking Partner

Global Posts
    4,388 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    Everything CellUnlock.net told you is correct, but he didn't answer your question, "how to tell if it is unlocked." To verify your phone is unlocked, go to Options / Advanced Options / SIM Card. Type the letters MEPD. They won't be shown on the screen. If Network is Active, the phone is not unlocked. If Network is Disabled, the phone is unlocked.
    Thank you missed that question. Inactive also means unlocked.
    CrackBerry User

Thanks for the replies! Since the phone is no longer activated on an account should I see the same results?...and since Sprint didn't send me a SIM card, nor do I have one anymore will it still work? I am at work now so I can't play around with it.
    Unlocking Partner

Global Posts
    4,388 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by jason25 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! Since the phone is no longer activated on an account should I see the same results?...and since Sprint didn't send me a SIM card, nor do I have one anymore will it still work? I am at work now so I can't play around with it.
    Yes even if the phone is Inactive with your provider, you will see the same info on the Personalization screen. It will work overseas only if the phone is unlocked. You don't need the Sprint SIM card.
    CrackBerry User

Okay, i followed your steps and all fields say "unknown". Is it because i have an Airvana?

CrackBerry Newbie

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me get a unlock code for a bell blackberry bold 8830 world edition. Please use personal email!
    Thanks to all
    Last edited by naviwilliams; 05-03-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: IMEI removed...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

The unlocker who posted above your post can most likely sell you an unlock code, but unless you are planning to use your 8830 outside North America, unlocking it won't help you. The GSM radio in the 8830 only works on European GSM frequencies, which are incompatible with North American GSM frequencies. You don't need to unlock it to use it on CDMA, but Sprint and Verizon won't activate a phone they didn't sell. I don't know about other, regional CDMA carriers. Some might.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast