Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default torch lock/unlock?

I cant seem to find it (maybe my search-fu is weak), but I have an issue with the lock on the torch.

I went to the store yesterday to play with the torch. I like it a lot and will probably upgrade from my 9000. however, I dont like the lock (rather, the unlock) and the sales guy said he didnt know of an answer for me.

in short, you lock it by hitting the button on the top left. no worries. however, to unlock, you either open the slider or hit the lock button again. this is not a very "positive" way of unlocking, if you ask me. its quick and easy, but not a very good way to keep the phone locked in your pocket or whatever. I can easily see me bumping the unlock button when the phone's in my pocket and dialing or browsing or any number of functions from touch enable home screen. I dont think the slide is likely to open in a cargo pocket, but the button could definetely get pushed.

for those of yall that have had one for a while, am I missing something? is there a way to "override" this and make it so it only unlocks when you manually do something? *send or swipe to unlock? similar?

TIA
    CrackBerry Addict

Just my two cents... I have the storm and the lock button is on the top. I've never had it unlock in my pocket. Maybe others have had different experiences?
    CrackBerry User

Same setup on the 9700. Never had it unlock in my pocket as far as I remember.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

so am I overthinking this, coming from a 9000 where its basically impossible to unlock "by accident"?

as well, it seems basically impossible to accidentally unlock an iphone too (my only experience with a touch screen phone)
    CrackBerry Addict

Yea, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Banned

PIN
    24HELLO

Dear God theres been 7,000 threads on this.

Now here?

On a device that hasn't even been released?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,689 Global Posts

there are lots of people in the 9700 forum that have had this as an issue. if you put a lock password on your phone, that will prevent it.
    Previously: Blackberry Bold 9700 - 6.0.0.344
    Currently: Motorola Atrix - Android 2.2

"Simplicity provides a fine line between elegance and plainness."
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by dLo GSR View Post
    there are lots of people in the 9700 forum that have had this as an issue. if you put a lock password on your phone, that will prevent it.

great info, thanks. that gives me a little more direction to search.

Quote Originally Posted by lazerus View Post
    Dear God theres been 7,000 threads on this.

Now here?

On a device that hasn't even been released?

yes, here. this is the forum for the 9800/torch, right? where one goes to ask questions that one cant seem to find answers on (and as stated previously, the salesman couldnt answer either)?
    people have had this device for weeks, so dont give me any of this "hasnt been released" sh!t.
    further, apparently this is an issue on another phone I have never touched and I would have no way of knowing that, without a little helpful direction (see above).

thanks for doing nothing other than jacking up your precious post count. people like you are who wreck an otherwise informative and helpful message board.
    CrackBerry User

I was actually wondering about lock myself. Does anyone know if you can apply a password? I imagine you should be able - not so much use if all you have to do is open the slider mechanism.
    CrackBerry Addict

You can apply a PW.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I have a password applied and the only way to lock the device is to use the password lock function. Is it possible to lock the device (not just the screen) using the lock button on top of the phone?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,689 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beenice View Post
    I have a password applied and the only way to lock the device is to use the password lock function. Is it possible to lock the device (not just the screen) using the lock button on top of the phone?
    set your security timeout to 1 minute or whatever the lowest setting is; once you hit the lock button, after a minute it will automatically revert to the locked PW mode.
    Previously: Blackberry Bold 9700 - 6.0.0.344
    Currently: Motorola Atrix - Android 2.2

"Simplicity provides a fine line between elegance and plainness."
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Didn't think about that. Good idea!
    CrackBerry Genius

Never had it happen to me while in my pocket, but generally in the holster on my 9700...

I say like the one guy said, password lock it, problem solved...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

Guys I heard about this and I found my lock button to be a little trippy. I hit the app store, remember storm apps work on this phone. Grab Stormslider, it's free and works just like the iPhone lock. Problem solved if you wanna save typing a PW everytime.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask for it :)

Yeah so far this has been a big problem for me, I would pull my phone out of the pocket too find that I was only one click away from calling someone... RIM should have included some sort of carrying holster.

CrackBerry User

Same here, this is my main complaint with the phone is when it's in my pocket, even if I hit the lock button, it still comes unlocked unless I have it facing upright in my pocket. Which of course is a pain because I would then have to pull it out upside down.

I wish I could set it back to have to press * and Green Call button to unlock it like the older phones did.

Stormslider is cool, but in order for it to tie into the timeout / lock buttons you have to pay for it. Anyone use the pay version? Is it worth it?
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    T of ice cream?

I'm having issues with this too. I'm coming from a Bold 9000, where it was kind of a pain to press the lock button (had it in a case, much easier without the case) but this phone the lock button is very sensitive.

Also, even after I press the lock button, with the phone resting face up (of course) the screen keeps lighting up then going dark. ? 2-3 minute intervals. I'd assume this is going to wear my battery down too. No emails or anything else coming in, it just pops on, then fades out.

this is the only problem I'm having!
    CrackBerry User

I installed Stormslider v5.1 Paid Edition and the app works but I'm unable to launch "Options". After the install I set the permissions to "Allow" for all 3 and did a battery pull (Still cannot get to the options). So I thought maybe I will select edit default permissions and set them to "Allow" and see if that helps (No Luck). Can someone list the default permissions for the Blackberry 9800 Torch so I can set them back to factory? Similar to this thread for the Storm (See Below) There are a few more permissions for the Torch.

- Options>Device>Application Management>BB Menu>Edit Default Permissions>Tap + to Expand Connections>Tap + to Expand Interactions>Tap + to Expand User Data....

Thanks in advance for the help!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/how...etting-131383/

P.S.
    I've uninstalled / reinstalled the app as well and I'm still unable to access the "Options"
    Last edited by rsasecure; 08-15-2010 at 10:39 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24EF8E5A

I agree with most of yall about the lock feature. It SHOULD be more like the prior blackberrys or at least a fusion of the old and new ways to password lock.

Anyone else having this issue: I press the lock button, 5 minutes later I pull the phone out of my pocket and it's no longer locked? Though no button was pressed. It's as though it's only holding its lock for a short period of time......

Beuller . . . . ?
    "Do not boast old woman, your death sits in that cage."
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    639 Global Posts

Well it stays locked when I have it sitting next to me so its not a software timeout thing. Must be getting hit inside your pocket.
    CrackBerry Abuser

rsasecure,

I too am really frustrated with the accidental unlock in pocket...

what I ideally want is for phone to only lock when I press lock button, and to unlock either: 1) upon opening slider, or 2) following pressing lock button and then a screen wipe or keypad press (to avoid the inadvertent pocket unlock)

a) you indicate that the paid version of Stormslider "works" but you cannot change options. do the defaults settings uon install work as I describe above?

b) if not, have you had any subsequent luck accessing options with Stormslider?

cheers, Greg
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    T of ice cream?

Quote Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
    Well it stays locked when I have it sitting next to me so its not a software timeout thing. Must be getting hit inside your pocket.
    Mine isn't. I can lock it, place it on the table and less than a minute later the screen will light up and I can access the touch screen.

I had to activate a password to get lock to stay locked. I don't want to have to enter a password every time!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    22c8318f

Quote Originally Posted by techjunkieforlife View Post
    Guys I heard about this and I found my lock button to be a little trippy. I hit the app store, remember storm apps work on this phone. Grab Stormslider, it's free and works just like the iPhone lock. Problem solved if you wanna save typing a PW everytime.
    I got it too but deleted because it wouldn't allow me to set my own options and it would lock in the middle of phone calls.

CrackBerry User

I sent an email to leetcomapps@gmail.com regarding this issue and have not heard back yet....
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast