CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Putting a Sim card in an unlockd CDMA phone?

I'm on Bell and I got my 8830 from work, turns out they unlocked it for me and i'm just curious what would happen if I put in a local SIM (i.e. Rogers, Fido). As anyone on a CDMA carrier knows, your phone is registered with the carrier, you can't simply take the SIM out and the phone is no longer active.

In order to get the SIM card working would I first have to de-activate it on Bell or can I just pop the SIM in there? Or is there a setting?

This might sound complicated but I just want to know how to get the phone off of Bell's network and on to another one
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    is mighter than the SWORD

CDMA has no SIM our phones are programmed at our carrier. They have a chip not a SIM card receiver.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by luvitlo View Post
    CDMA has no SIM our phones are programmed at our carrier. They have a chip not a SIM card receiver.

YES THEY DO! The 8830, 9630 and the 9530 are world phones and have sim cards in them. Do a little research.

Bill.
    CrackBerry Addict

I'm on Bell, too and sometimes use my Rogers SIM that has a bb plan. Works fine. No need to de-register from Bell, just select a different network in your network options.
    RED Torch Virgin Mobile, Storm (LyrHybrid.669v2) Rogers, unlocked HTC Desire, Macbook 10.6.5, Hackintosh desktop 10.5.6, JailBroken 16GB iPodTouch 1G, 16GB iPod Nano 4G , 8GB Jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3G, Palm TX...... gadget queen!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by luvitlo View Post

the Blackberry 8830 is the first global phone on CDMA carriers...hence the name "World Edition". It carries a SIM card
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

There should be a way to enable/disable one or the other under Manage Connections, I think.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of companies are doing the mandatory data charge on BBs. Would hate for you to get dinged with something if they detect a BB on your acct...
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Lol its okay it was a prepaid sim card i tried it out with. I just switched network to GSM only, otherwise it loads the CDMA network
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,104 Global Posts

CDMA phones will work on any GSM provider, but will only get 2G speeds. It has been proven with Storms on AT&T. A few other things wont work, but ill let you do the searching.

Too bad this doesn't work vice-versa, or else I'd be back at Sprint in no time.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    is mighter than the SWORD

The thing may have a SIM slot but CDMA program their phones so hence does not use the SIM slot. The only dual network phone I knew of was the Storm and they had trouble out of it at first, so I didn't know that one of the old non camera "junk" BBs had a dual platform. So PARDON ME! But I was still correct in my opinion that CDMA DOES NOT USE SIM CARDS!

CrackBerry Newbie

unlock movistar
    so many comments but nothing that sounds legit.
    does nay one know the movistar unlock codes for blackberry 8100
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by fabuloso View Post
    CDMA phones will work on any GSM provider, but will only get 2G speeds. It has been proven with Storms on AT&T. A few other things wont work, but ill let you do the searching.

Too bad this doesn't work vice-versa, or else I'd be back at Sprint in no time.
    You need to get a grip of the phone spec. Storm has 2 radios, CDMA and GSM, that is why it could work with GSM provider. Not all CDMA phone has GSM radio as well.

SIM on 8830 is for the GSM side of the phone. The phone has both CDMA and GSM radios.

Some CDMA phone will take a SIM-like card, it's called RUIM (see wikipedia). 8830, storm don't take RUIM, if you want to move the phone from one cdma provider to another, it has to be 'injected' with your new provider' setting. For some phone it is easy to do, some is not. So talk to your target provider and see if you they could 'inject' cdma phone from whatever is the original provider of your blackberry.
    Last edited by bboz; 10-12-2009 at 03:48 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Pat6290 View Post
    I'm on Bell and I got my 8830 from work, turns out they unlocked it for me and i'm just curious what would happen if I put in a local SIM (i.e. Rogers, Fido). As anyone on a CDMA carrier knows, your phone is registered with the carrier, you can't simply take the SIM out and the phone is no longer active.

In order to get the SIM card working would I first have to de-activate it on Bell or can I just pop the SIM in there? Or is there a setting?

This might sound complicated but I just want to know how to get the phone off of Bell's network and on to another one
    If the phone is unlocked, as long as the phone supports the GSM frequencies of your local GSM providers, it should work.

Note that 8830 only support 900/1800 MHz (european/asian) bands. 8830 won't work with AT&T or T-Mobile in US.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by bboz View Post
    If the phone is unlocked, as long as the phone supports the GSM frequencies of your local GSM providers, it should work.

Note that 8830 only support 900/1800 MHz (european/asian) bands. 8830 won't work with AT&T or T-Mobile in US.
    I put in a Fido prepaid sim card and it picked up GPRS lol
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,490 Global Posts

GPRS isn't enough to catch a cold.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,105 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eric80 View Post
    unlock movistar
    so many comments but nothing that sounds legit.
    does nay one know the movistar unlock codes for blackberry 8100
    I can definately help you with your Movistar Blackberry 8100. Let me know if you had any questions
    Visit us for all of your Unlocking Solutions at: TheRemoteUnlocker.com
    Always offering $10 unlock codes!!

Call us in Toronto at 647.478.7505 OR TOLL-FREE in the US at 1.877.806.2088, or Email us at sales@theremoteunlocker.com
    Follow us on Facebook or Twitter!
    CrackBerry Newbie

My blackberry 8830 unlocked is not detecting my sim card now, which it used to detect before.
    i think it has gone to the CDMA version again..
    what should i do ?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,913 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by capitan24 View Post
    My blackberry 8830 unlocked is not detecting my sim card now, which it used to detect before.
    what should i do ?
    What country?
    What carrier?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by capitan24 View Post
    what should i do ?
    There's a network setting that asks whether you want Global or Local or something to that effect. Sorry, my T-Mo doesn't have the option. Selecting Global will enable the GSM side, IIRC. It will usually prompt for it on startup when it detects a SIM.
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.