Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Help Unlock ATT, off contract BB 9800

I had posted this is another section and was suggested I ask here, so Please dont take as a duplicate thread.
    Heres my issue:

I have a Blackberry Torch 9800. Service is with ATT in the usa. The phone is out of my 2 year contract. I asked att to unlock the phone and they said this phone is unavailabe to be unlocked and they dont have a reason why. Was told some phones cant be.

I would like to use this phone still on my current plan, but I need to unlock it for traveling overseas with a different carrier. So when here in the usa i can use my att service, then when abroad use a different carrier.

Can anyone help me unlock it so I can do this without effecting the current service though att?
    I dont want to risk messing the phone up where it ends up useless. Thus I havnt tried anything yet so everything is how ever the phone came.

As I said, I havnt tried anything yet and dont understand much of this, so if its a somewhat easy process, id apprecite someone walking me trough it or pointing out a how to.

Thank you
    Last edited by billbx; 12-21-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,220 Global Posts

Again, just contact one of the unlocking companies and get a code. They will provide instructions on how to enter the code.

The vendors are listed in this thread stickied right at the top of this very forum section.

http://forums.crackberry.com/unlocki...omotions-f207/
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks. Before I go checking the vendors for a code, is there anything I should checkon my phone before I buy a code to be sure this can be safely done without ruining it.
    Sorry for asking but just want to be sure and dont fully understand it all.

Unlocking does not affect operation of the phone. A long list of phones in my family were unlocked early after purchase. All are ATT and a 9800 is included.

The single issue to watch is your code. Buy from a reliable unlocker. Pay a couple of dollars more and get a good code. If your code fails two times and you are sure the tyoing was correct you likely have a bad code. Fail ten times and the phone must be cable unlocked.

Overall the process is very easy. Many reliable unlocking companies are in the forums. My personal preference runs to HorizonWirelessOnline - HorizonWirelessOnline for good service and reasonable price.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by sedalia066 View Post
    Unlocking does not affect operation of the phone.
    Overall the process is very easy. Many reliable unlocking companies are in the forums. My personal preference runs to HorizonWirelessOnline - HorizonWirelessOnline for good service and reasonable price.
    Thanks very much this was my main concern. The other was I thought I read somewhere that people said they went to do it and had zero tries right from the start. If that is the case, then I perhaps should look first if mine is like that? Just unsure how Unless that was wrong info.

Thanks again
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

Yeah, it can happen. go into options>advanced system settings> SIM Card and type "mepd" and it will show which are open, then type mep, hold alt, and push 2. it will tell your tries.
    Device(s): Curve 9300>Bold 9700>Z10>Samsung Galaxy Note 2>Z10 #BlackBerryByChoice
    Tablet: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Great Thanks.
    It said:
    sim disabled
    network active
    network subset disabled
    service provider disabled

10 trys left.
    so im good to get a code then to unlock?

Thanks so much

Billbx, you are good to go.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,490 Global Posts

Default Help Unlock ATT, off contract BB 9800

Quote Originally Posted by billbx View Post
    Great Thanks.
    It said:
    sim disabled
    network active
    network subset disabled
    service provider disabled

10 trys left.
    so im good to get a code then to unlock?

Thanks so much
    Yes you are.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

For anyone who goes through the same process as billbx, if you receive the same "personalisation screen" but have different options as disabled or active, that isn't a problem.

Usually, it will only be the "service provider" that is active instead, but that simply requires a different unlock code, that should be included in any order you make.

However, if all are disabled, then the phone is already unlocked!