Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can't Make Calls: Sim Toolkit Control Error (Unlocked Bold)

I have a Unlocked AT&T BOLD and I'm having some trouble with foreign SIM card here in Taiwan. I bought a Taiwan Mobile SIM Card (TW Mobile also offer BB Bolds). I inserted it into my ATT BOLD and couldn't make any calls. I get the following Error Message:

Sim: Call Barred
    Call failed due to SIM Toolkit Control Error

My phone was unlocked by AT&T; I told them I'm going overseas and they unlocked it free of charge by giving me unlock codes. I do have a non-BIS data plan but with the "data" turned off (just using voice version).

I have latest firmware, already did a reset (battery out a few seconds). SIM card seems to be latest one since I just bought it a few hrs ago. Anyone have any ideas? The Bold was my favorite phone thus far but has been slipping down the list because of all these "international" issues I'm having. Thanks
    CrackBerry User

What does it say on the phone when you:

Menu -> Options -> Advanced Options -> Sim Card:

And at Sim Card Menu -> mepd
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

All says disabled.
    CrackBerry User

anyone have a fix for this? i am in the exact same position. .and it is frustrating....

using unlocked at&t bold in fido in canada..
    please help if anyone has a working solution!

Sounds like AT&T unlocks might not work properly but you don't find out until you're away from home and test it. Yet another reason not to buy phones from AT&T.
    CrackBerry Newbie

i had the same issue. and i resolved it. so it is doable.
    CrackBerry Newbie

SuperBen79 -- how did you resolve it?

The AT&T phone I bought does not work with 2 SIMs from Rogers. One is an older card (July 2008) and other just bought today.

This is really frustrating for me as I travel internationally a lot and need an unlocked phone.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am facing this same problem. everything says disabled. how do I enable it?
    CrackBerry Newbie

i have tried everything from changing sim cards to wiping device, reinstalling OS. When I put my sim card in another bold, it can send off smses on a 3g network but not mine.

Mine is an unlocked ATT bold. I am thinking ATT has blocked it but I can get 3G with the bb sign and data no problem. receiving smses are fine just cannot send out! but on edge, gsm and gprs i can send out no problem.

can someone help as this is driving me crazy.

thanks!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    -

U could try unbranding ur fone and then giving the new sim a go..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Branta View Post
    Sounds like AT&T unlocks might not work properly but you don't find out until you're away from home and test it. Yet another reason not to buy phones from AT&T.

i'm curious as to the logic in this statement
    elaborate please?
    Stupidity is a circumstance that can't be helped. ignorance is a choice
    CrackBerry User

CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by motavi View Post
    i have tried everything from changing sim cards to wiping device, reinstalling OS. When I put my sim card in another bold, it can send off smses on a 3g network but not mine.

Mine is an unlocked ATT bold. I am thinking ATT has blocked it but I can get 3G with the bb sign and data no problem. receiving smses are fine just cannot send out! but on edge, gsm and gprs i can send out no problem.

can someone help as this is driving me crazy.

thanks!
    when you switched sim cards did any of you bother registering your device on the network you got the sim card from or did you just slap it in and expect everything to just magically work?
    did you get any service books from the new network you are on?
    try calling the Network you got the sim from and setting up BIS or if you dont want BIS just call the network and see what it is that you need to do to use the Bold on their network
    does the network you're trying to connect to support Blackberry devices?
    Stupidity is a circumstance that can't be helped. ignorance is a choice
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,495 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by giantfan30 View Post
    when you switched sim cards did any of you bother registering your device on the network you got the sim card from or did you just slap it in and expect everything to just magically work?
    try calling the Network you got the sim from and setting up BIS or if you dont want BIS just call the network and see what it is that you need to do to use the Bold on their network
    Ermm you dont need BB services to make a simple call or text lol...i have an unlocked Bold from Tmobile here in the UK and all i do is just shove another networks sim card in and away i go...i dont need to use the BB services of another network to get it to make a simple call or text....fine if i was using data then yes i would have to but i dont have the BB symbol on the unlocked Bold and it works perfectly well.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by giantfan30 View Post
    Yes. I registered my sim card and resent my service books. BIS works fine.

When I stuck in my friend's prepaid sim card, there was no data but 3g connection and I could send out. When I put my sim card back in same problem, can receive but cannot send out. Really really strange.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Same problem

I have the same problem. My phone is a AT&T phone unlocked and cant make call. I can send and receive text msg. any one help

Sim: Call Barred
    Call failed due to SIM Toolkit Control Error
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am still having this problem. receive sms ok, send out cannot. sim tool kit error. calls in and out ok. this is just on the 3g network. edge/gsm/gprs all working fine.

The indications here http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/cal...israel-186512/ suggest a SIM card incompatibility could be responsible.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thing is I tried that already but will try to get a replacement again.
    CrackBerry Addict

try a 3G simcard..
    CrackBerry Newbie

FINALLY got it solved. It was the SIM card. Got a replacement (2nd time), it was a new batch I think and now no problems.
    CrackBerry Newbie

it was funny 'cause when I got a replacement, it was a 3G sim card. but now it is all solved. man it was frustrating though!!
    CrackBerry Newbie

so wait your at&t phone works now? who is your service with?
    CrackBerry Newbie

can someone help me this is soooo frustrating that i cant use my phone and make outgoing calls
    CrackBerry Newbie

Motavi
    this question is mainly directed to you
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast