Like Tree3Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,611 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Lightbulb ADVANCED USERS ONLY: Unlock Hidden Engineering Screen on Storm

Hey, I haven't seen this posted on any of the Storm forums, so I wanted to post this information for advanced users to see, and so we actively have people looking at the options in this engineering screen. There is a ton of settings, information screens, etc. that you can change. As I said, this would be for advanced users only, as most setting changes would likely brick the phone, and might require a wipe and reload. I've found some very interesting screens, including one that shows the battery charge rate, discharge rate, even an option to force a battery drain. I've found that the Storm only uses 16-bit coloring, USB charges at a higher charge rate than wall chargers...There is tons of stuff, and I know there are some smart people that might be able to "unlock" some hidden features in the Storm. (Sorry, but I didn't find any hidden WiFi option!! lol Here are the steps on how to access the screen.

1) Access the 'Help Me' screen on your Blackberry. (Hold down the Back/ESC button, and tap top left of screen, then top right of screen, then top left of screen, then top right of screen)

2) You will need a code generated from your App version, device PIN, and device uptime. (When entering your App version, you will need to entire the entire line displayed in the HelpMe screen ie-4.7.0.148 (203). Uptime and deviceID needs to match exactly what the Helpme screen shows. Select duration for how long you want the engineering screen to replace the helpme screen. BlackBerry eScreen Unlock Code Generator (by Thyth)

3) Do NOT close the HelpMe screen, or the code generated will no longer work when you reopen the HelpMe screen.

4) Open up the virtual keyboard. (You'll need to use portrait querty, or landscape qwerty)

5) Enter in the 8-digit code generated in step 2 exactly how it appears. There will be letters and numbers, so you will have to switch from the keyboard to keypad during the entering of the code. You will not see the digits on screen as you enter them, so you will have to enter it carefully. You'll only need to enter this code once, and it will last until the duration you specified expires. Once that happens, you can generate a new code and start the process over again.

6) Once the last digit is entered, the engineering screen will replace the 'Help Me' screen, and can be accessed anytime by going to the Help Me screen. The Engineering screen will replace the HelpMe screen for the duration you set during step 2.

7) Please post your results. Again, be careful when messing with this settings screen. To be safe, you should write down the default settings before you make ANY changes.

Here is an example of one of the screens you can view.

Source: Berryreview.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ADVANCED USERS ONLY: Unlock Hidden Engineering Screen on Storm-ql_09611111713.jpg  
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    30FFB6EA
    They wont let me put what I want in here so "Support our troops and the h3ll with the press"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,611 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by gtstang462002 View Post
    That link is buried in a thread not many people will find. Now it has its own thread where people can discuss it and post their findings..
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    30FFB6EA

Quote Originally Posted by AgTitan06 View Post
    That link is buried in a thread not many people will find. Now it has its own thread where people can discuss it and post their findings..
    Just keep in mind there is a reason that this screen is hidden. Most Verizon Reps don't even know how to access this screen, much less what the info is used for. I don't mind helping people out, however the problem comes when the do not read disclaimers and change stuff that they have no business changing.
    They wont let me put what I want in here so "Support our troops and the h3ll with the press"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,611 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Just keep in mind there is a reason that this screen is hidden. Most Verizon Reps don't even know how to access this screen, much less what the info is used for. I don't mind helping people out, however the problem comes when the do not read disclaimers and change stuff that they have no business changing.
    That's why it says advanced users only. There are smartbadvanced ysers on here thst will be able to figure stuff out and make the storm better by that screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Global Posts
    23,389 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

That's why it says advanced users only. There are smartbadvanced ysers on here thst will be able to figure stuff out and make the storm better by that screen.

most of them i am sure already know about this screen
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry User

Quit your whining. if you brick your phone then you learn something new and you'll realize you either 1 shouldn't be messing with those options or 2 are well on your way to learning something new.

bmw328i likes this.
    CrackBerry User

One of the points you say in the OP is that the USB charges at a better rate than the wall charger but I have to dissagree with that. I had my storm plugged into the pc all afternoon and it only went to about 50% but in the wall it only takes a few hours from flat to the point the flash symbol goes off.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask!

Same. Usb is much slower.

The one setting I want to figure out... The backlight settings. I was looking at that last month when I was messing with these settings. The screen is too bright at night most of the time.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    PIN
    <--- My Squirrel Cat fast asleep :D

good find... im scared to touch anything but at the same time i want to sooo bad!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,611 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Chogg View Post
    One of the points you say in the OP is that the USB charges at a better rate than the wall charger but I have to dissagree with that. I had my storm plugged into the pc all afternoon and it only went to about 50% but in the wall it only takes a few hours from flat to the point the flash symbol goes off.
    The only reason I say this is I went to the battery charging screen and it showed charging rate of 1050 when plugged into the wall and charging rate of 1400 wheb plugged into my USB. Hopefully some others will test this. I have screenshots but not near a laptop right now.
    Maybe lower rates charge faster?
    Last edited by AgTitan06; 06-20-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Global Posts
    23,389 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

The only reason I say this is I went to the battery charging screen and it showed charging rate of 1050 when plugged into the wall and charging rate of 1400 wheb plugged into my USB. Hopefully some others will test this. I have screenshots but not near a laptop right now.

wall charger should be faster, mine is rated @ 800ma while usb will only be 500ma
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Addict

only partially related, but you can also call up the help me screen by showing the landscape keyboard and entering 2*92.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    None

mine says the same thing but i think we might be looking at something wrong. it just plain isnt possible for the USB to be charging @ 1400.
    When I first created my CB account, in some post, somewhere I said that I didn't see myself having my Storm in a year. That time has come. Not only that but I no longer own any BlackBerry devices at all. Maybe in the future if RIM steps up their game I'll consider owning one again, but as it is right now, they just aren't competitive in the user market, and they never really have been. Theyre good at what they do, which is push E-mail but that's about it. Time will tell.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    3054E075

I found what you're refering to, seeing the same results, but have to agree that hte wall charger is much faster. should be interesting to see what the car charger reads.
    BB Storm 9530: 4.7.0. 65 > 75 > 83 > 85 > 86 > 90 > 103 > 109 > 113 > 114 > 122 > 132 > 141 > 148 > 151 > 5.0.0.140 > 4.7.0.151 > 5.0.0.230 > 5.0.0.323
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    A COLADAS! (Preceded by the phrase "Give me TWO") :)

hey guys i was looking at some screens and the core frequency screen is disabled. any way to get around that? also, can you change the bit rate for the colors through this?
    Noetic Sciences. Read, and be Enlightened...
    http://www.noetic.org/

"The Human mind possesses a plethora of truly amazing abilities, and the human population as a whole utilizes an astonishingly low percentage of its true capabilities...except, of course, for those few ENLIGHTENED individuals."

(4.7::.65>.75>.113>.132>.141>.148>.151>.167>proces s terminated.)
    (5.0::.191>.230>.323>.328>.419>awaiting response...)
    CrackBerry Abuser

also on the "radio debug" screen there is an option to enable DM access....anybody know exactly what that is?
    ---Current O.S.: 4.7.0.148---
    ---Favorite App: Pandora radio---
    RULE #1: NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

This is pretty interesting, and immediately upon entering that screen I knew that I had zero business tinkering with any of that crap...lol...but i do wonder if people that can read this sort of lingo, could actually change some things on the Storm to make it better......
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    A COLADAS! (Preceded by the phrase "Give me TWO") :)

Quote Originally Posted by danielbaesel View Post
    This is pretty interesting, and immediately upon entering that screen I knew that I had zero business tinkering with any of that crap...lol...but i do wonder if people that can read this sort of lingo, could actually change some things on the Storm to make it better......
    Right? i feel all C.I.A.-ish tinkering with stuff never meant for the public to find. i wish i knew what equation or algorithm they used to generate the 8character access code to get into the screen for incase i need to do it away from a computer!
    Noetic Sciences. Read, and be Enlightened...
    http://www.noetic.org/

"The Human mind possesses a plethora of truly amazing abilities, and the human population as a whole utilizes an astonishingly low percentage of its true capabilities...except, of course, for those few ENLIGHTENED individuals."

(4.7::.65>.75>.113>.132>.141>.148>.151>.167>proces s terminated.)
    (5.0::.191>.230>.323>.328>.419>awaiting response...)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman74 View Post
    Right? i feel all C.I.A.-ish tinkering with stuff never meant for the public to find. i wish i knew what equation or algorithm they used to generate the 8character access code to get into the screen for incase i need to do it away from a computer!
    hahaha....yeah...maybe someone can make an App for that....lol
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Berrys Numba One Fan View Post
    WOW! But does anyone know what the + does when you're calling numbers on the Berry? I've noticed that any number that I click on say in an email or text the Berry always adds a + in front of the number even if its not there.
    well that is a bit off topic, but i think the "+" just represents that it is a "local" phone number and it is preceded by the country code.... for example a 1-800 number, if called from outside the united states would actually start with 001-1-800.......
    CrackBerry Abuser

at least that's my best guess, since Blackberries are supposed to be world business phones and if you open up an email with a local phone number in another country, I think the "+" is just supposed to remind ya to enter the country code first....but again, that's just my amateur speculation....
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,611 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Quote Originally Posted by OHvzwGuy View Post
    I found what you're refering to, seeing the same results, but have to agree that hte wall charger is much faster. should be interesting to see what the car charger reads.
    Just checked. Car charger initially showed 1400 then after 5 seconds went down to 1050

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

right then, so this is the engineering screen, so maybe it`d be a good one to post the test screen on here too

go into options> status

bring up the keyboard, same rules apply, you WONT see what your typing, but all is good, then just type in test and you are then in a diagnostics tool, then just run the diagnostics on whichever component/system you wish

my biggest thing iv noticed, which im sure is whats causing the battery issue, is that if you run the light sensor test, its just all over the place, even if you dont adjust the phone or lighting (the sensor is built in to the LED in the top right of the phone) now seems to me if that sensors all over the place, surely the screen is working overtime, hence the useless batterys some people are reporting, jus my 2p, but im sure its mainly the screen (mix of heat and touch and size) thats the biggest issue

i wonder if anyones used the 2 screens - engineering screen and diagnostics screen - in tandem to improve the phone??

results please if ya have

Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900

For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,611 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman74 View Post
    Just bookmark the link...the generator works on the mobile browser too..the person who created that generator said that if rim ever tries to shut down that link, he will just post the program code algorithm. He said its just a few lines long..I'm sure someone could easily make an app for that.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast