Running into a small issue that maybe some of you might understand better than I do.

For our BYOD users, I don't want to force the users to change how they use their phone. So I don't want to force them to use a device lock, instead, I'll rely on a lock of the BB applications. Per the documentation, if the device activation method is MDM, it is supposed to use whatever is set as a requirement under Native OS and ignore the KNOX settings. So I have the password requirements set to "Unspecified" which should allow the user to have a password if they choose, but not if they don't. However, no matter how I set that, the KNOX MDM requirement which is currently set to "Numeric" length 4 is being forced.

Has anybody experienced the same problem and found the solution? I'm in the process of migrating from GFE up to BES UEM and this is a pretty major hurdle for me. RIM support says "oh sure you can set it that way, no problem." But when I ask how, all I've gotten is "i will have to get back with you on that."
    04-13-17 10:38 AM
    What activation policy are you using? You mention MDM but then state KNOX. I'm fairly certain that if you are applying Knox policies to a Knox compatible device then they take precedence over the standard android policy.

As per the UEM 12.6 doc..

MDM controls

This activation type lets you manage the device using commands and IT policy rules. If the device supports KNOX MDM, this activation type applies the KNOX MDM IT policy rules. A separate work space is not created on the device, and there is no added security for work data.

I believe from your description what you actually desire is activation and policy for Work and personal - user privacy - (Samsung KNOX)

Posted via CB10
    04-13-17 10:25 PM
    I changed it to "privacy" activation and it has in fact resolved that issue. I'm still grinding through several other problems.

1. On GFE, I could set a time-out value for the application. So if a user was reading e-mails, and then went to look at something else on their phone for a few seconds, they could go back into Good without a password. As near as I can tell, that behavior isn't supported on BES UEM/BB Work. If you change out of the app for any reason, you have to put the password back in upon returning, even if it is literally for just 5 seconds.

2. I can't seem to figure out what I need to change to allow the users to play Cisco Unity WAV files that are attached to their e-mails. I just get the message that there is no app that can support that file type. Always worked on GFE.
    04-17-17 09:44 AM
    I changed it to "privacy" activation and it has in fact resolved that issue. I'm still grinding through several other problems.

1. On GFE, I could set a time-out value for the application. So if a user was reading e-mails, and then went to look at something else on their phone for a few seconds, they could go back into Good without a password. As near as I can tell, that behavior isn't supported on BES UEM/BB Work. If you change out of the app for any reason, you have to put the password back in upon returning, even if it is literally for just 5 seconds.

2. I can't seem to figure out what I need to change to allow the users to play Cisco Unity WAV files that are attached to their e-mails. I just get the message that there is no app that can support that file type. Always worked on GFE.
    1: What mail app are you using. My AFW container is all the BlackBerry Hub apps and I don't have that problem.

2: this is an Android issue. Everything is a la carte, basically no code so built in. I push an app called Remote Wave for playing voicemail attachments I. Work container, note there is a free version that works as well.
    04-17-17 11:00 AM
    1. We are an exchange shop (server side) and we just use the BB Work app for e-mail. It may be something to do with the activation type causing problems going between the work and non-work apps.

2. I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem. If I deactivate BB UEM and reactivate Good on the phone, I can listen to my wav files without a problem, so it isn't a matter of having a player. What I think is happening is that since I used privacay activation type, that the system doesn't want to allow any interaction between the base phone apps and the work space. The issue is that without going privacy, there is no way to not have a device lock password as far as I can tell.

So far my experience with this versus GFE and BES 5 (years ago) is that this is far more restricted on what I can make the system do. A large part of the user experience seems to be dictated by the activation method which I find odd.
    04-17-17 11:08 AM
    1. We are an exchange shop (server side) and we just use the BB Work app for e-mail. It may be something to do with the activation type causing problems going between the work and non-work apps.

2. I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem. If I deactivate BB UEM and reactivate Good on the phone, I can listen to my wav files without a problem, so it isn't a matter of having a player. What I think is happening is that since I used privacay activation type, that the system doesn't want to allow any interaction between the base phone apps and the work space. The issue is that without going privacy, there is no way to not have a device lock password as far as I can tell.

So far my experience with this versus GFE and BES 5 (years ago) is that this is far more restricted on what I can make the system do. A large part of the user experience seems to be dictated by the activation method which I find odd.
    1: I'm not running BlackBerry Work, will not until they remove the AD requirement and allow ldap authentication for it same way they do the rest of the BES system.
    Look at your BlackBerry Work policies, my understanding is they are separate yet from the rest of the MDM/KNOX/AFW policies

2: BlackBerry Work is a migration and upgrade of the previous Good Dynamics. Good dynamics is different than GFE as it's a set of containerized apps but do depend on some of the OS capabilities for things like codecs. If the codec or media player isn't built into os or provided via , you can't do anything until you provide that.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-17 12:37 PM
    You mentioned that security for Blackberry Works is preventing some functionality of the personal apps or docs. I am unable to open any document from any other app other than BB Works- I get the following erro "you can view documents from other Good Dynamic Apps only". Is there a way around this other than not using BB Works? tks Nichole
    05-04-17 10:09 AM
    You mentioned that security for Blackberry Works is preventing some functionality of the personal apps or docs. I am unable to open any document from any other app other than BB Works- I get the following erro "you can view documents from other Good Dynamic Apps only". Is there a way around this other than not using BB Works? tks Nichole
    Please start a new thread.
    05-04-17 10:30 AM
    Are you running Work version 2.7? If not you should upgrade.
    05-15-17 01:27 PM