Guys,

I just got a email stating that a new software update is ready for my phone... Does anyone know what this means? See below for more info

BlackBerry Device Software
    Update Notification
    UPDATE
    TODAY!

What else can your BlackBerry� smartphone do for you?

Find out when you update to the latest smartphone software! This free update is ready and waiting to help you do more with your BlackBerry smartphone. Update today.

New ways to work and play!

* Your BlackBerry device can now render HTML Rich Content email messages, including embedded images, external images, font formatting, paragraph formatting, and more. * You can edit and format Microsoft� Word files (97 � 2003) using Dataviz� Documents To Go. If you use a reduced keypad device, Documents to Go also provides support for the SureType and Multitap typing input methods * When you add a new meeting request, you can now check attendee availability for the day of the meeting and one week into the future. You can also check the availability of attendees for existing meetings. * If you use a BlackBerry� Pearl� 8100 Series device, a BlackBerry� Curve� 8300 Series device, or a BlackBerry� 8800 Series device, when you create a new playlist, you can now specify criteria that your device uses to automatically generate a playlist. * If you use a BlackBerry Curve 8300 Series device and you have a media card in your device, you can now record a video on your device. Note: Some features are available only if your device is associated with an email account that uses a BlackBerry� Enterprise Server that supports the feature. For a complete list of all new features, contact your wireless service provider or administrator. For more information about specific features, click Help on your device..
    Get the most advanced BlackBerry Device Software to keep your BlackBerry smartphone performing at its best. Update Now.

Recently changed your BlackBerry smartphone? If you are viewing this message from your BlackBerry browser, you can automatically update your device information when you visit here.

Research In Motion

Research In Motion � 295 Phillip Street � Waterloo, Ontario � Canada � N2L 3W8
    � 2008 Research In Motion Limited. All rights reserved. BlackBerry�, RIM�, Research In Motion�, SureType� and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of Research In Motion Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world.
    You have received this message by opting-in to receive news and information about BlackBerry products and services from Research In Motion. To unsubscribe click here. Research In Motion, 295 Phillip St., Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L 3W8.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 01:31 PM
    i got this too and was wiondering the same trhing

08-11-09 01:31 PM
    I also have the tour but i am not home to find out what it means....maybe a new OS update is being release by RIM? Wishfull thinking I guess...LOL

08-11-09 01:36 PM
    Hmm... nothing under "Wireless Update" for me, and no such email.

Can anyone else weigh in? I'm gonna go check out the VZW website, maybe they have more info somewhere.
    08-11-09 01:37 PM
    I know a few people at work got the same email from updates.blackberry.com so I know something is up. Maybe it will be available soon via sprint or verizon's website?

08-11-09 01:38 PM
    my Sprint Tour recently started loading MMS pictures automatically... probably unrelated but maybe not?
    08-11-09 01:40 PM
    i'll be checking, but not sure if this will happen.
    08-11-09 01:42 PM
    Yep, got the same email.... lol.. thats why I came in here! I was hoping you guys would know!
    08-11-09 01:42 PM
    my Sprint Tour recently started loading MMS pictures automatically... probably unrelated but maybe not?
    Tour has always had embedded MMS.

Sounds like an "OOPS!" email to me. That email literally listed all of the features of OS v4.5
    08-11-09 01:44 PM
    haha.

*update*

Nothing new on the BB website, or the VZW website. If you go to the Verizon site and download the OS, it's still .140 listed. Maybe they just haven't updated it yet?

About this email, it doesn't specifically say anything about the Tour, but it DOES mention the Pearl, and several versions of the Curve. Could this be an erroneous email? It DOES say something about "if you have changed devices..."

Did you guys who received the email previously own one of the phones mentioned in the email?
    Last edited by Molsem; 08-11-09 at 01:49 PM.
    08-11-09 01:44 PM
    My first question is do you all have a blackberry tour? I want to first know if this notice was just sent out to only users who have a blackberry tour or did other devices also get the same email message?

08-11-09 01:45 PM
    I have a tour and have not gotten this email and I would also know what molsem is talking about my tour doesn't have the wirless update folder like the curve does am I missing something

08-11-09 01:48 PM
    Tour has always had embedded MMS.

Sounds like an "OOPS!" email to me. That email literally listed all of the features of OS v4.5
    When I first got the Tour I still had to go thru that dumb Picture Mail site. Embedded MMS didn't come thru until later
    08-11-09 01:51 PM
    I have a tour and have not gotten this email and I would also know what molsem is talking about my tour doesn't have the wirless update folder like the curve does am I missing something

Go to options>advanced options>wireless update at the bottom. That is the OTA download procedure.
    08-11-09 01:51 PM
    I read somewhere before they was saying the was gonna be a Software Update exactly a month after launch. but i don't remember where. Think it was over at theblackberryzone
    08-11-09 01:52 PM
    Guys -- Storm users got this as well. We are all as confused as you guys!
    08-11-09 01:54 PM
    Hmm... that sorta throws a kink into things.

[speculation]Unless they are simultaneously releasing an OS for the Storm, Tour, Pearl, and Curve devices... hmm... does anyone have any idea what OS that might be?[/speculation]

Now only god knows what is going on... lol
    08-11-09 01:56 PM
    Guys -- Storm users got this as well. We are all as confused as you guys!
    oh well crap. guess its wrong then.
    08-11-09 01:56 PM
    When I first got the Tour I still had to go thru that dumb Picture Mail site. Embedded MMS didn't come thru until later
    Weird...It's supposed to support embedded MMS right out of the box. If your Tour didn't, thats not normal.
    08-11-09 01:58 PM
    Are you sure your phone isn't just an iToy, disguised as a Tour?
    08-11-09 01:59 PM
    Go to options>advanced options>wireless update at the bottom. That is the OTA download procedure.
    What kind of pone do you have my tour does not have that option

08-11-09 02:00 PM
    I read on two different websites last week that there was gonna be an update for all BB and was supposed to start being released August 15.
    08-11-09 02:01 PM
    Options/Advanced Options/Wireless Update
    08-11-09 02:01 PM
    What kind of pone do you have my tour does not have that option

Hmm... that MAY be due to a missing vendor file, I believe. Have you modified the OS on your phone at all?
    08-11-09 02:03 PM
    My phone isn't showing that option what should I do is there a way to make it show or will I have to get it exchanged

08-11-09 02:04 PM
112 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD