Probably I should post this in the general theme thread but I don't know how many people actually read the section so...

I am not a theme developer and probably will never be able to do it (too complicated for my limited knowledge) but, guys, please consider some donations to developers (if it is an option) if you really like their themes. Some people might say themes should be free and developers might not be expecting it but as a good gesture on our end to say keep up their good works, even $1 or two. Cheaper than a cup of coffee from Starbucks - and themes last longer than pleasure of coffee.

In exchange of them providing us free themes, we should be their help to fix any bugs. Asking changing colors, fonts, icon designs etc - if you really want them to make those changes, please donate some. I am sure some will be more than happy to make adjustments for your liking even in individual basis. Otherwise, they have no obligation to make any changes for anybody. I see some rude messages saying something like "dude, are you reading my request?" It is just not right. If we were developers, we wouldn't want to be treated in that way by anybody, would we?
    11-16-09 10:24 AM
    Agree with you.
    11-16-09 10:38 AM
    AGREED! awesome thread
    11-16-09 03:33 PM
    totally agree! i have and will continue to donate. i've gon as far as to ask a developer to make a custom theme for me and have enjoyed the theme. i think my problem is that a developer get in his head that he needs/wants a donation and then get rude about making themes until he gets one.
    11-16-09 05:40 PM
    100% agree! These guys (and gals) are amazing for supplying these incredible themes for free.
    11-16-09 11:45 PM
    Kudos for making the post. =) I get a lot of traffic on my blog where ALL my themes are free. I've gotten some donations and they are greatly appreciated. What do I do with the donations you ask? I get a cup of coffee at Starbucks and theme. I also use it to purchase apps and donate to other themers.
    11-16-09 11:56 PM
    If the quality is there, I am more than happy to pay for a theme.
    11-17-09 01:43 AM
    I would call myself a theme fanatic, having now over 20 themes and still browsing for more. Most of my themes are free. To me, a free theme should be just that, FREE. Any demand or expectation of a donation is not free, it's just another terminology for Price. Donations should be optional. Otherwise, these themes shouldn't be called Free.

When you buy a premium theme and it doesn't measure up, in your mind, to how good the free theme is, you'll start to feel bad that you didn't donate for the free theme. When this experience happens to you, then you know the free theme earned the donation. I have had it happen to me once, then I tried to donate to one of my favorite free themes, and PayPal wouldn't accept my prepaid Visa. These cards are generally accepted where ever Visa credit cards are accepted, including the Crackberry Store. I even sent an email to Red Zapper once, asking for a mailing address but he told me, while he appreciated the gesture, the mailing address wouldn't work for him. Since nearly every free theme I have uses Paypal, until I can figure out how to use a prepaid Visa, I can't donate for my themes. So, I do the next best thing, I advertise them in my signature. I post to their thread in praise. I try to raise the visibility of their theme, so that perhaps others that are able can donate.

OP, good thread. I think that many of us do appreciate the hard work that the free theme makers do, and we do try to donate if we can, but there may be some out there that believe a free theme should be just that... free! Another reason why some may not donate is because they don't know how much they should donate. Do I give $1, $2, $5? What's too little? What's too much? In doubt, the user doesn't donate. If you're a theme maker, you may want to post a suggested donation amount on your theme to encourage more donations. (By the way, my current favorite theme is Reverie D (Tour), which is perfect for displaying wallpaper. Has the space key as a hot key for launching your shortcut app, if you have one. Very cool. It will soon go up in my signature.)
    11-17-09 02:35 AM
    Thank you so much, guys and gals!

@trjnberry: thank you so much also for sharing your insights. I completely agree with you - I am sure the developer appreciated your thoughts. Monetary reward is good but I think, for most developers, compliments are the best reward they receive.

Since they are listed as free themes, I am sure developers are not expecting much donation. And using free themes as free, it is perfectly fine but there must be a reason why they post themes as free even if they have access to Paypal - they could easily release their works as premiums. They are probably just generous, maybe feeling guilty to charge any for products they create as hobbies. But my point is some people's attitude. They are not happy if their requests are not accepted. "there was an update but the font was still same as before - not what I requested. Why?" I donated for a few themes and I asked one developer who cerated a 5 star rated theme here and there are hundreds of postings, from compliments to requests for changes - curious to see how much donation he got. "You are the only one so far" - this made me decide to post this thread....

Some developers use some theme releases to find out what audiences like and dislike then they move towards a next one, possibly premium. And making donations is not only the way to appreciate their works. Because of that, some developers kindly offer me to be testers - I can try some of the newest themes that are not available here yet. Exciting stuff, especially for a theme junkie myself.

Give and take - everything needs to be in a win win situation. Reading some comments people make to developers just have hurt my feelings. That's all.
    11-17-09 06:37 AM
    Okay, I really like this thread.

For one, I am (or at least try to be) a theme developer. Have even gone to the lengths of creating my own site to show off my work. And yet, I don't build for donations, it wouldn't hurt to get one every once in awhile. The reason I say this, is I want to keep up my themes. I'm always trying new stuff and trying to go all out. So naturally, I want more programs to assist me in my thoughts.

At first, my goal was to go premium. Get money money money. And you know what? I've found out that building custom themes for people is way more rewarding then making $7 a theme. So I took on requests on another forum. Seeing people get what they want and in turn, give me praise and tell other people about my services. Matter of fact, my site offers 4 constantly working theme developers, giving our users what they want.

Shortly after getting a lot of praise, I started my own site. Recently launched. Still free. And extremely busy! I don't mind the guys that only build premium. They do awesome work.

So I'm reaching out to the theme junkies and everyone who loves free themes to come to my site.

http://wwwbuiltbyrequest.weebly.com

Thanks for this thread!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-09 01:36 PM
    I thought by reading the title you were asking for donations on this thread... Hahaha. I was going to be upset because I wanted to make that thread as a joke and see what happened. But kudos to the thread. I usually try and donate for any theme that I keep on my phone.
    11-17-09 02:28 PM
    yes! send me monay!
    11-18-09 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD