I am receiving the following error message in DM 5.0 when attempting to backup my Tour:

Error backing up database(s).
    [Theme Settings] 0 of 1 entries retrieved

In the background, I see the progress bar is stuck at Address Book - Last Used Hints - and below that the second status bar is stuck on Organizing Databases. After clicking OK, the backup completes.

From what I understand, this indicates that a database, somewhere, is corrupted - correct?

I am attempting to backup my Tour, and then do a device switch to a new replacement Tour.

I did find a couple of threads in other subforums regarding this error message - most of the suggestions were to wipe the browser cache, which I did - followed by a battery pul. No dice.

The backup will complete, but I noticed that when restoring my replacement Tour from the backup file, everything switches over, EXCEPT for the icon arrangement. Also, when using the device switch method - everything will again transfer over fine, with the exception of the icon arrangements and positions of the previous phone.

I do not mind having to manually reposition all of my icons, but would prefer to simply use the device swap wizard to correctly transfer over EVERYTHING - including the icon arrangements.

I did not have this issue when I used device swap wizard from my first Tour to my second. I am attempting to transfer from my second to my third now...any suggestions?

EDIT: Btw, I do not believe my very first tour had any themes other than the default sprint theme installed when I swapped it out with my second tour successfully. I had 4 themes installed on my second tour - just deleted them and did a battery pull...am going to try a backup again and see what happens...
    EDIT2: The above method did not work - same error message.
    08-24-09 04:30 PM
    bump...where are my cb subject matter experts at!?
    08-24-09 05:56 PM
    Have you been able to transfer everything to the new tour ?
    08-24-09 07:28 PM
    Yes - I mentioned in the post that everything transfers with the exception of the icon arrangement...i am really more concerned with what this error is, and what (if anything) can be done to avoid this happening in the future...and if there is any fix. I didn't have this problem with the last two tours I swapped out...so I cant imagine what the root of the problem could be.

Have you been able to transfer everything to the new tour ?
    08-24-09 07:33 PM
    I had the same issue but my backup ended with "[Profile Settings] 0 of 32 entries retrieved". Its annoying but I guess worst case is that I setup my profiles again after a restore.
    08-24-09 07:39 PM
    Based on what you saw, looks like whatever theme you installed is not being read accurately. If it's not transferring your icons how you set them up, that would make sense.

Might want to redownload the theme possibly and see if that corrects it for future backups.

I could be wrong, but that would look to be the simple answer if there is one. Other than that, I have no idea.
    08-24-09 08:23 PM
    I would uninstall 5.0 DM and install 4.6 DM (you will be fine/thats what I used to transfer everything over and 4.6 is solid) and do the device swap.

That SHOULD work. If you don't want to go through that hassle just leave it be .

Is your device operating ok after the transfer? If everything is running fine I wouldn't worry just rearrange the icons.
    08-24-09 08:30 PM
    Weird CK, when I got my Tour two days after release, I had DM 4.6 and when I went to Device Switch Wizard, hooked up my Pearl 8130, it would backup the Pearl and when it prompted me to hook-up the new device, it would not read the Tour. I tried several times, the un-installed 4.6 and installed 5.0, the transfer from one device to another was flawless...
    08-24-09 08:36 PM
    I deleted all third party themes - but the entire time I have been using the default Sprint theme...as of right now, the default theme is the ONLY theme installed...so I have ruled that option out. Maybe another theme has corrupted the default..somehow? I dont know...there doesnt seem to be much knowledge on these type of errors. I am going to try cereals advice and go back to 4.6 and give that a run through.

Unrelated: Ive spent now over an hour with Sprint CS T1, T2 bb tech support, trying to get this ******* phone activated. I am sitting at 1x. For whatever reason, the phone is not attaching to the network. The very first Tour I ordered had to be wiped...TWICE, before it would attach to the network. I can make calls, but no data services coming down...I tried to explain to the reps that I am a bb enthusiast...I know these phones in and out...I am sure that I have more hands on knowledge than the clowns sitting on the other end of the phone who are reading from the knowledge base articles. Not knocking them, but the level of training in this area kind of aggrivates me. Phone just came back on...still no data. Have wiped, updated profile, registered in the host routing table...theres nothing else on my end that I can do....they havent done something on their end. These phones are supposed to attach to the network automatically. And here I was thinking I FINALLY had a *PERFECT* tour...one of the reps I talked to said "well you might have to swap it out for a new one..." yeah ******* right buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--end rant man if this were a perfect world...... -- okay, really end rant now.

Based on what you saw, looks like whatever theme you installed is not being read accurately. If it's not transferring your icons how you set them up, that would make sense.

Might want to redownload the theme possibly and see if that corrects it for future backups.

I could be wrong, but that would look to be the simple answer if there is one. Other than that, I have no idea.
    08-24-09 08:40 PM
    Getting the same error....
    08-25-09 11:15 AM
    Am seeing this error too. Deleted some of the themes that I've installed recently. I have several 3rd party themes on my Tour but have only started getting this message the last couple of (weekly) backups. Any idea anyone?
    10-14-09 10:49 PM
    @mconk

Had the same problem a few times. What you want to do is an advanced restore where you restore only the Themes database from a backup with a valid Themes database. Going forward you should be all set. Under OS 5.0.0.230, you are likely to corrupt your Themes database each time you install a new theme. I have found that the advanced restore works to solve the problem but you will lose your icon arrangements each time. Problem with the OS, it seems.
    10-14-09 11:13 PM
    @mconk

Had the same problem a few times. What you want to do is an advanced restore where you restore only the Themes database from a backup with a valid Themes database. Going forward you should be all set. Under OS 5.0.0.230, you are likely to corrupt your Themes database each time you install a new theme. I have found that the advanced restore works to solve the problem but you will lose your icon arrangements each time. Problem with the OS, it seems.
    I am using 4.7.1.53. Not yet on 5.x anything. No time to deal with it if things don't go right. Will try an advance theme database restore and see what happens.
    10-14-09 11:39 PM
    Was able to get a good backup only after clearing (deleting) the existing device theme settings. A restore only got me some of the settings (as I had added more themes since the last successful backup, I suspect one of them was the culprit so they will not go back on my Tour for a while). Redid the icon placement on the remaining themes and so far so good. Think I will at least backup the theme settings when I know I've been tinkering with them a lot.
    10-20-09 03:52 PM
    Was able to get a good backup only after clearing (deleting) the existing device theme settings. A restore ...
    52bear - how did you do this (clearing/deleting theme settings)? I am also getting this error and might try this as well. Thanks in advance.
    10-26-09 04:28 PM
    52bear - how did you do this (clearing/deleting theme settings)? I am also getting this error and might try this as well. Thanks in advance.
    Look at this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f16/bac...-theme-338181/
    10-26-09 11:21 PM
    Thanks 52bear. Worked perfectly!
    10-27-09 06:30 PM
    I recently started getting this error as well. The phone is fully operational and I did notice that I had to rearrange a few icons on some of the themes. No biggie. Other than the themes, the device is backing up successfully.
    01-25-10 08:46 PM
    I had this error last weekend too on my bold 9700. If it's not a serious problem I will leave it this way and use the theme that came along with the phone..
    01-26-10 02:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD