Im on my third tour so far. Each time I go to the Verizon store and excange it the trackball works for 3 days then just stops... Anyone else with the same problem, and is there a way to make sure you don't get a defected model???
    08-02-09 01:48 PM
    Nope, mine is still in the U.S.
    08-02-09 03:43 PM
    There's oh so many threads about this already. Just search, browse, read and learn!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 04:01 PM
    Clean it.........
    08-02-09 04:02 PM
    Im on my third tour so far. Each time I go to the Verizon store and excange it the trackball works for 3 days then just stops... Anyone else with the same problem, and is there a way to make sure you don't get a defected model???
    Wash your hands. Actually...it should not be doing what you are saying so not sure what it going on.
    08-02-09 04:03 PM
    It's "defective." *
    08-02-09 05:01 PM
    Mine was acting funny until it rebooted. Now it's fine
    08-02-09 06:09 PM
    I was starting to see some difficulty in horizontal movement when typing text. I cleaned it with cotton pad with a small amount of rubbing alcohol on it, and it seems fixed now. Have you tried that? I also have horizontal sensitivity set to 90%.

08-02-09 06:16 PM
    There's oh so many threads about this already. Just search, browse, read and learn!

yes i can not agree more
    08-02-09 06:20 PM
    My experience with the trackball from the Tour has been a very annoying one. I'm actually still running my own little "experiments" to find out why the trackball is behaving the way it is. I've taken my Tour apart about 4 times now within a week testing out different trackballs. I've transplanted the original trackball from the Tour into other models to see how they behave and I still don't have a solution to this issue besides having to swap the device out for a new one.

At first I thought it was a hardware problem (a faulty trackball) but the trackball worked fine in another model. I ordered a new trackball from cnn.cn and the issue still remains with the Tour only. Trackball works fine in any other model. I'm currently in the process of wiping my Tour using JL Cmder. I'm going to do a fresh OS install without a restore and see how the trackball fairs after that.

If that doesn't work, I'd say it's a design flaw in the way the trackball sits on the main board.
    08-02-09 06:27 PM
    My experience with the trackball from the Tour has been a very annoying one. I'm actually still running my own little "experiments" to find out why the trackball is behaving the way it is. I've taken my Tour apart about 4 times now within a week testing out different trackballs. I've transplanted the original trackball from the Tour into other models to see how they behave and I still don't have a solution to this issue besides having to swap the device out for a new one.

At first I thought it was a hardware problem (a faulty trackball) but the trackball worked fine in another model. I ordered a new trackball from cnn.cn and the issue still remains with the Tour only. Trackball works fine in any other model. I'm currently in the process of wiping my Tour using JL Cmder. I'm going to do a fresh OS install without a restore and see how the trackball fairs after that.

If that doesn't work, I'd say it's a design flaw in the way the trackball sits on the main board.
    I obviously cant speak for your phone, but my trackball started acting really screwy, to the point of barely working. So I threw a 8330 trackball in my tour and all is well. (actually it seems to work better than the tours trackball ever did). Plus, lets be honest, its kinda sexy
    08-02-09 07:22 PM
    You'll be a sad panda when that gets dirty
    08-02-09 07:25 PM
    I have the same problem. I am on my second Tour with Sprint service and same issue. For some reason the horizontal scrolling works for a few days and it just goes bad. Tried wiping it with a cotton swap and little alcohol, but this made matters worse. It just doesn't work! Blackberry needs to find a solution to all this, because I am getting sick and tired of swapping out phones. I have a friend that works at the sprint corporate store and he advised same; people were swapping tours for new ones due to this problem.
    08-02-09 07:30 PM
    I obviously cant speak for your phone, but my trackball started acting really screwy, to the point of barely working. So I threw a 8330 trackball in my tour and all is well. (actually it seems to work better than the tours trackball ever did). Plus, lets be honest, its kinda sexy
    I like how the tour looks with the white trackball
    08-02-09 07:32 PM
    Maybe consider a different device if you're having lots of problems with the trackball? Instead of getting lots of the same device and expecting different results
    08-02-09 07:32 PM
    Horizontal movement sucks with the bb tour that is the issue I am having with mine

08-02-09 07:49 PM
    btw, if you want a really good test to verify if your trackball is functioning correctly I have two words for you: Brick Breaker.
    08-02-09 08:03 PM
    Well I finished the wipe and reinstall and my tour is still not scrolling horizontally. It does work if I'm "feathering"...so I'll stick it out for now. I'm sure a true fix or recall or something will come out. Other than this, the Tour is the shiznit!
    08-02-09 08:24 PM
    I am happy to announce that I have solved my issue with my Tour's trackball. After trying multiple trackballs, I finally got one to work. I really don't think it was the trackball though. I noticed that where the trackball sits on the main board shifts when touched, which could definitely be the cause of the horizontal scrolling not working. RIM definitely should use the little cage method of installing the trackballs like on the Bold. For those that have never opened a Bold, the trackball sits inside of a small metal cage that keeps it in place. The Bold definitely has the best build quality of any other BlackBerry.

08-02-09 10:30 PM
    Mine works fine. Hope you get yours working.
    08-02-09 10:50 PM
    Agreed @ 9000

The Tour's trackball seems very spongy, if that makes any sense. I think this makes it drastically different for people to use over what has been conventionally available on other devices. I think it just takes a little getting used to.
    08-02-09 10:51 PM
    Nope, mine is still in the U.S.
    hahaha! still in the US!!
    08-02-09 10:54 PM
    I fixed mine by having Verizon replace it. My replacement is 1000x better.
    08-02-09 11:56 PM
    It might be just an OS problem
    08-02-09 11:58 PM
    Mine was defective. I got it replaced and the new one works good so far.

I'm almost 100% sure that this is a defective part/hardware issue vs OS.
    08-03-09 12:04 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD