I've been on the phone with VZW for the past 30 minutes. I bought two new Tours and both phones are having the muffled issue. I've tried AVC (on or off) and it doesn't really help on either phone. I also purchased a network extender and that didn't do anything either. They're sending me a new Tour and if the replacement experiences the same issue I'm going to have to dump the Tour and go back to AT&T.
    07-21-09 10:43 AM
    Idk If anyones tried it but people have been reporting that this "wiping" method works. I will do test calling when I get mines today and if it sounds 'muffled' i will wipe everything before i go through all that time adding apps/contacts & etc.

THIS COMES STRAIGHT FROM THE BLACKBERRY FORUMS
    (Here)

I think i may have Solved the poor Audio Issues that are plauging thousands of blackberry tours !! Im so Excited!

I just did a full handheld wipe and it SOLVED all audio issues. People now say i sound perfect on both regular audio and speakerphone!

Before no one could here me and it was unsuable!

Here are the simple instructions for a Handheld Wipe:

1) Backup your Tour to desktop software Application.

2) goto: Options, Security Options, General Settings, Then hit the Blackberry Key and choose "Wipe Handheld". It should take about 8-9 minutes but i can tell you that it works and its worth it the wait. I have a new phone.

WARNING:

Doing this ^^ will delete ALL contacts, data, preferences, calendar, etc., from your device.

Verizon managers have been confirming this works as well...at your own risk.

EDIT: My friend just reported that it only worked for a day and then she sounded muffled again. It could be a verizon issue and not a BB one.
    Last edited by misageisha; 07-21-09 at 11:18 AM.
    07-21-09 11:10 AM
    i find this hard to believe. When the OS was released and made available, I DL'd it so i could shrink it and take off all the extra stuff.

Before i put the newly shrunken OS back on, i used JL_Cmdr to wipe the old OS off. I found no gain in audio quality at all. Maybe i'll go through the process again with my second one (just got it a minute ago) and then also do the device wipe from within itself.

I'll report back and see if I have similar results that you mention or if it remains an issue.

How it works for the method you're describing is baffling considering if you were wiping a corrupt file from the handset, you'd essentially be putting it back on with a Restore.

Ideas of how it is technically working?
    07-21-09 11:18 AM
    i find this hard to believe. When the OS was released and made available, I DL'd it so i could shrink it and take off all the extra stuff.

Before i put the newly shrunken OS back on, i used JL_Cmdr to wipe the old OS off. I found no gain in audio quality at all. Maybe i'll go through the process again with my second one (just got it a minute ago) and then also do the device wipe from within itself.

I'll report back and see if I have similar results that you mention or if it remains an issue.

How it works for the method you're describing is baffling considering if you were wiping a corrupt file from the handset, you'd essentially be putting it back on with a Restore.

Ideas of how it is technically working?

Honestly, I don't. I'm a new BB user so I was just posting some things I found a couple days ago. I asked my friend to try it and she said she sounded clear for like a day but everyone is complaining about the muffled sound again. Bahhhh I tried.
    07-21-09 11:20 AM
    Honestly, I don't. I'm a new BB user so I was just posting some things I found a couple days ago. I asked my friend to try it and she said she sounded clear for like a day but everyone is complaining about the muffled sound again. Bahhhh I tried.
    good work though. i'll give it a shot tonight

Welcome to CB!
    07-21-09 11:32 AM
    Sad to hear this problem is affecting the Tour as well. I'm on my fourth Storm due to this problem and was thinking about having Verizon switch me to the Tour.

A couple of things I've learned:

1. The problem is intermittent. Just when I think I've done something to fix it...I have a call that the person on the other end complains that they are having a hard time understanding me.

2. It doesn't matter what country made the phone...had the same issues with Canada and Mexico Phones.

3. I have tried every leaked OS version made available...no luck so far. It may still be fixable via OS update in the future.

4. Enhanced Treble and Bass settings are for what YOU hear...not for what goes out to the other end. Automatic Volume Control doesn't seem to make a difference (not really sure what this does).

5. When I have a muffled call complaint, if I switch to speakerphone - it always clears up for the other caller.

I've heard this is a problem with some older versions of BB phones, so I don't have a lot of hope of a fix coming anytime soon. Hope I'm wrong.
    07-22-09 01:19 PM
    It definitely is a software issue that is affecting both the Storm and the Tour. RIM/Verizon needs to add an option to disable the noise cancellation feature. I definitely believe that this software is the culprit. Has anyone out there figured out a way to turn it off......... or delete the software module??
    Ive been digging in Java not able to find
    07-22-09 01:46 PM
    I realized the problem IS intermittent. And varies from phone to phone...region to region.

I think it just might be bad service.
    07-22-09 01:57 PM
    I'm leaning toward a software issue. I've now tried 2 tours and both have the same problem. I've tried the boost treble, automatic volume control, wiping and activating the 2nd phone. No benefit whatsoever. I don't think that it is signal related either as I have the problem regardless of where I am; it also makes no difference if I'm on EVDO or 1xRtt.

Sprint is sending me a 3rd phone. In a week, I'll let you know if that helps.

For what it's worth, both of the phones I've tried are Mexico 5 manufacture. I told the Sprint rep to send me a Canadian phone, but I doubt that they are going to hand pick a phone for me.
    07-22-09 02:12 PM
    I'm leaning toward a software issue. I've now tried 2 tours and both have the same problem. I've tried the boost treble, automatic volume control, wiping and activating the 2nd phone. No benefit whatsoever. I don't think that it is signal related either as I have the problem regardless of where I am; it also makes no difference if I'm on EVDO or 1xRtt.

Sprint is sending me a 3rd phone. In a week, I'll let you know if that helps.

For what it's worth, both of the phones I've tried are Mexico 5 manufacture. I told the Sprint rep to send me a Canadian phone, but I doubt that they are going to hand pick a phone for me.
    Be careful before activating ,I have 2 spankin new Mexico 5 Sprint replacements in front of me that have major screen ripple compared to current one.
    Needless to say im sending them back accepting muffle.hopefully fix can be made in java folder.
    07-22-09 02:18 PM
    just had the 3rd person say "You sound muffled" when I'm talking on my headset.

Not holding it too close to my face, no wind, nothin... then I'll put on my bluetooth and they say "thats much better'. I don't ask either, just in the middle of conversation they say "you sound muffled".

Anyone else experienced this?

- KrossX
    I've noticed that the way you hold your phone can affect the outgoing voice quality. If you hold the phone so that the bottom of your palm cups the bottom of the phone (essentially allows the sound waves to bounce off you hand towards the mic), it seems to drastically improve the outgoing sound quality. Perhaps the mic isn't very omnidirectional??
    07-22-09 04:01 PM
    its kind of upsetting we need to tape our tours together for them to work properly.
    07-22-09 05:01 PM
    its kind of upsetting we need to tape our tours together for them to work properly.
    That it is.
    Im starting to feel like a Pre user lol
    Last edited by Slingbox; 07-22-09 at 05:15 PM.
    07-22-09 05:12 PM
    Those that have bad outgoing sound get use to it.
    I spent over a hour on phone with Sprint BB tech support activating three 9630s with all having sound muffle..
    Tech was amazed how bad they sound so he transferd me over to Rim support.
    I spent 45 min on phone with Rim tech ...alot of help he was lol
    Tech said it was hardware issue no update could fix..He also gave me direct PH number & reference number with a good luck.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 07-22-09 at 07:47 PM.
    07-22-09 07:33 PM
    I also am having similar issues on 2 separate BB Tour devices, is intermittent but very noticeable when having issue. Is this a reason should replace the device.
    07-22-09 07:50 PM
    I also am having similar issues on 2 separate BB Tour devices, is intermittent but very noticeable when having issue. Is this a reason should replace the device.
    I went through 3 of them that have issue....Im done with it.
    Im Going back to treo 700wx untill Rim gets a grip fixing mic & screen ripple issues.
    07-22-09 08:02 PM
    im on my first canada1 tour .. loose batt. cover , bit of screen ripple, and no you sound muffled comments
    07-22-09 08:42 PM
    man thats scary.. anyone else have any success with this?

- KrossX
    07-23-09 05:53 PM

- KrossX
    hehe I think im the only ginny pig but look at it this way ,If for some reason I screwed up operation mic I could of taken to Sprint store swapping out for new.
    Now the chances of me getting new one without screen ripple ,trackball stick is highly unlikely so it was worth the gamble.

My 9630 now has sweet sweet sound quality to go with No screen ripple ,tight battery door and NO trackball stick.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 07-23-09 at 06:13 PM.
    07-23-09 06:09 PM
    all you have to do is back up your device, wipe your handheld, plug it back into desktop manager and load your stuff back on. and crossing your fingers it should work. It fixed mine thank god! now i dont have to return my tour for one thats has other defects haha. goodluck
    07-23-09 06:13 PM
    2nd phone from Sprint, same problem. Not gonna waste time swapping right away. maybe I'll wait closer to 30 days for a confirmed hardware/software fix.
    07-23-09 06:15 PM

- KrossX
    Kross, I replaced mine with another one that I activated it today, not as bad as the first one, everyone I called told me I sound much better, I really think it has to do with the noise reduction feature.

I was surperised when the new one came with a very snug battery door, it really did put a smile on my face

As of now, I am very happy with the Tour.
    07-23-09 06:19 PM
    noticed this today while calling a friend of mine. used the speakerphone at first then switched to the handset; person on the other end said i sounded distant/muffled. switched back to the speakerphone n she said it was clearer. funny when leaving voice notes its clear, only using the handset is where the problem is.
    Last edited by sc650; 07-23-09 at 07:26 PM.
    07-23-09 06:28 PM
    I've always had the same issue with my storm. I switched it out 3 times but still had same issue. I've since learned to live with it. I wonder if Slingbox's repair will work with the storm. I'm a little afraid about trying it though because my storm is not under warranty anymore...i don't think.
    If anyone tries this please pm me and let me know. I would love it if this worked on the Storm.
    07-23-09 07:15 PM
    I've always had the same issue with my storm. I switched it out 3 times but still had same issue. I've since learned to live with it. I wonder if Slingbox's repair will work with the storm. I'm a little afraid about trying it though because my storm is not under warranty anymore...i don't think.
    If anyone tries this please pm me and let me know. I would love it if this worked on the Storm.
    How is your Storm not under warranty? Manufacturers warranty is 12 months and the Storm came out Nov 21st last year. Everyones Storm should still be under warranty.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 07:32 PM
330 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD