I haven't installed any new software recently, but for some reason yesterday my Tour was really struggling.

1. Mute/standby button stopped working. Phone wouldn't go in standby. Had to do a battery pull, and all is fine now.

2. Dropped a call in a normally good coverage area. I very rarely (if ever) dropped calls on my Curve

3. While talking on the phone during a later conversation, my Tour rebooted, which of course disconnected the call and I had to wait like 10 minutes to call the person back by the time it booted back up.

I love this phone, but these problems were out of the blue.

Any idea what's causing it? Are you having similar problems?
    08-07-09 11:19 AM
    #2 might just be a fluke. it happens even with Verizon.

#1 and #3 sound like software issues. if this hasnt happened before, have you installed any apps recently? I would check that first.
    08-07-09 11:21 AM
    #2 might just be a fluke. it happens even with Verizon.

#1 and #3 sound like software issues. if this hasnt happened before, have you installed any apps recently? I would check that first.
    Nope. Like I said, no apps recently.
    08-07-09 11:22 AM
    I haven't installed any new software recently, but for some reason yesterday my Tour was really struggling.

1. Mute/standby button stopped working. Phone wouldn't go in standby. Had to do a battery pull, and all is fine now.

2. Dropped a call in a normally good coverage area. I very rarely (if ever) dropped calls on my Curve

3. While talking on the phone during a later conversation, my Tour rebooted, which of course disconnected the call and I had to wait like 10 minutes to call the person back by the time it booted back up.

I know you have not installed any software recently, but of the software that you have installed, have any updated automatically or a service book? Maybe the updates occured behind the scenes. I thought I recalled seeing a thread with something similar. I am sure you already thought of that, just thought I would throw it out there. Hope you figure it out.
    08-07-09 11:32 AM
    I know you have not installed any software recently, but of the software that you have installed, have any updated automatically or a service book? Maybe the updates occured behind the scenes. I thought I recalled seeing a thread with something similar. I am sure you already thought of that, just thought I would throw it out there. Hope you figure it out.
    I haven't updated service books. As far as software updating automatically, I don't know of any- but that might be hard to tell if it does it in the background without my knowledge.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. I don't like that my Tour was behaving like a Palm Pre yesterday instead of a BlackBerry.
    08-07-09 11:45 AM
    My tour had a similar bad day about 3 or 4days after I got it.

Same problem with the standby button.
    I also wasn't recieving emails, mms, IM my weather app wasn't working and GPS was shot. Only the phone and texting seemed to be working.

Same here, I did a battery pull and everything was fine. I didn't even need to resend service books manually. As soon as it booted up everything was fine.

At the time the only apps I had instaled where VZ Navigator, Google Talk, Yahoo IM, and NWS Weather Client.
    08-07-09 11:46 AM
    Just another example, this phone is NOT a good phone. RIM fails again
    08-07-09 12:02 PM

Did you install BBM 5.0 by any chance?

The reason I ask is because when I got my phone on launch day, it was perfect. No complaints for a long time. Then I installed BBM 5.0 and for a few days it was fine. All of the sudden out of the blue my phone started to lag really bad and I was having a lot of software issues similar to what you were describing.

I thought I needed to free up some junk on my phone so I started to screw around with the OS. I tried to shrink it and reinstall it but I ended up bricking my phone. I had to reload a fresh OS and this time I didn't do anything to it, I just left it as is. I installed all of my apps one by one to see if one of those were a culprit and lagging my phone. None of my apps gave me a problem, and I have a lot. I couldn't figure out why my phone was perfect again until I realized that the only difference now was I had the original BBM instead of 5.0. My phone is still perfect since the reloaded software it hasn't been slow or acted weird at all (so far).

I think in my case BBM 5.0 caused the issue. Just a thought.

In any case, if you have BBM 5.0 I suggest going back to the original and seeing what happens. If not, maybe just try and wipe and reload your OS. If it wasn't 5.0 that screwed up my phone, the wipe and reinstall certainly did the trick.
    Last edited by HeroBerry; 08-07-09 at 12:13 PM.
    08-07-09 12:06 PM
    So says the person "between the curve and the pearl"

My phone is perfect.
    08-07-09 12:07 PM
    Mine has been perfect since day 1. I love this phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 12:56 PM
    Did you install BBM 5.0 by any chance?

The reason I ask is because when I got my phone on launch day, it was perfect. No complaints for a long time. Then I installed BBM 5.0 and for a few days it was fine. All of the sudden out of the blue my phone started to lag really bad and I was having a lot of software issues similar to what you were describing.

I thought I needed to free up some junk on my phone so I started to screw around with the OS. I tried to shrink it and reinstall it but I ended up bricking my phone. I had to reload a fresh OS and this time I didn't do anything to it, I just left it as is. I installed all of my apps one by one to see if one of those were a culprit and lagging my phone. None of my apps gave me a problem, and I have a lot. I couldn't figure out why my phone was perfect again until I realized that the only difference now was I had the original BBM instead of 5.0. My phone is still perfect since the reloaded software it hasn't been slow or acted weird at all (so far).

I think in my case BBM 5.0 caused the issue. Just a thought.

In any case, if you have BBM 5.0 I suggest going back to the original and seeing what happens. If not, maybe just try and wipe and reload your OS. If it wasn't 5.0 that screwed up my phone, the wipe and reinstall certainly did the trick.
    Nope. I don't have that installed, and never have.
    08-07-09 01:06 PM
    I like my Tour to but I'm on the second one. RIM needs to improve on there quality control...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 01:09 PM
    Well I ditched Verizon and my Storm in Favor of the Tour and a better service provider with better coverage..... Something about a functioning phone with functioning coverage at my place of residence and work... is.... appealing!

Tour is a win! The only problem I have is that it auto opens my latest message when I take it out of the holster, even though the feature is set to "never". Other than that Its never been rebooted since last month and I've dropped 0 calls and had 0 app errors.
    08-07-09 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD