I previously had the Storm and was fine with it. Then I started noticing problems when the tour came out. I became really picky with the Storm and started taking it back for each problem. They finally gave me the Tour, and I am happy with that. I feel as though I wanted what was advertised and what I paid for out of the device and I wasn't getting them. Was this wrong to become picky with the Storm, in sights of getting the Tour or something better that would work?
    08-17-09 03:00 AM
    Never wrong to be satisfied with your purchase. Now, are some people expecting perfection? Yes, and that is unrealistic. It is amazing that the same people who use a PC all day and put up with problems expect a smart phone to be flawless. One point where is agree though is on fit and finish, there is no reason to have a product with pieces that are not in place.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 06:04 AM
    I don't think you were wrong. The Storm had a lot of usability issues. Do I think a lot of the problems with the Storm are due to user preference? Yes I do, but that's also because I don't think the Storm is a device many people would prefer. It was a reactionary good try device from RIM but in practice and execution for the masses, especially the business masses, it just didn't work. I know that just from the few minutes I tried the Storm in the store I knew I could never live with it. There are some who love it but most people I know who have it hate it with passion. Most of them got all hopped up and excited for the touch screen hype and lost the idea of pure usability.

The Tour restores that usability. And despite how some people think, you can't place form over function. In the long run, you will fail. That's why and where the Storm fails and the Tour succeeds.

I honestly think most of the gripes people have about the Tour fall into a few categories:

User = OCD
    User expects perfection which is unrealistic, especially during the first run, double so when first run is spread across multiple countries
    Genuine gripes and problems with the device and RIM as a whole
    Bad luck

If you're OCD you're never going to be happy no matter what device you got, you're always going to find something to complain about.

If you're a perfectionist you shouldn't be lined up with the idiots like us who buy the first production run/day one phones. Wait till all the kinks are worked out. Then all you have to deal with are the genuine limitations of the device.

Everything else you should definitely return and replace or wait for software update that will fix the problem.
    Last edited by gimpyviper; 08-17-09 at 08:20 AM.
    08-17-09 08:18 AM
    ^ that is exactly why I'm not expecting perfection when I get my Tour in November. I currently use my moms screwed up Pearl that deletes things on its own- and not because of lack of memory! So if I can deal with that, I sure can deal with a loose fitting battery door or a screen ripple!
    08-17-09 08:25 AM
    nothing wrong with getting what you paid for
    08-17-09 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD