Maybe it's just me, but this BB desktop manager seems to be a real POS. I want to wipe out my BB and then ONLY restore my contacts, however, I do not see any option for that. Also, I think that maybe I can't even restore my contacts since it was being (but not anymore) synched with my company's BES. Am I missing something?

Does anyone have a good way I can do this without losing my contacts?

Thanks
    08-10-09 05:10 PM
    If you've been doing a wireless sync with your BES, it should come down after a little while.

If you already backed up your phone, when you go into the "Backup / Restore" part, you should have an area that says "Advanced". Select that, load your ipd (BlackBerry Backup file) from wherever you stored it. Then just select your "Contacts" or "Address Book" and it should put JUST the Address book back on.
    08-10-09 05:18 PM
    Does doing a wipe actually improve something or should it be done only when theres an issue?
    08-10-09 05:41 PM
    If you use Shrink-A-OS before you reload (to remove the other languages and things you don't use) it can earn you a little more app mem, but it isn't really worth it. Especially with the Tour.
    08-10-09 05:55 PM
    You can use BBSAK which will allow you to wipe the OS off the Tour, then install the OS again via loader app. If you do a security wipe that breaks your BES connection and you won't sync with the BES until your BES Admin resets it. If you don't want BES, then go into the desktop manager and reset the synchronization, and then set up for just contacts to Sync. You can also go into your BB and tell it to not sync BES portions as well.
    08-10-09 09:54 PM
    Thanks for the input. However, none of these solutions work. I see no options to edit the BES settings. My Outlook folders are still there and I cannot delete them even though I had the BES guy remove me from the system. I see no option to restore just the contacts. The desktop manager is simply unintuitive. What is worse now, is that I cannot send any email at all. I get a "transaction error - failure at service" when I try to send an email. Since leaving the BES i have added a yahoo, gmail and verizon email accounts.

UGH.
    08-11-09 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD