So, after giving 5.0 the thumbs up after foolishly only using it for like 3 days now I have had longer and the thing has so many glitches. I simply can't cope with it anymore. Maybe when Verizon puts it out it'll be right. It has so many advantages but having to do a battery pull atleast once a day to be able to click a text message ain't going to cut it.

So, what is the best way to go back to 4.7? Wipe it out? Or just go to DM and click downgrade to 4.7? And when I do that why do all the other apps say downgrade too? When they are the same versions?

If I wipe it, I need to install 4.7 first right? And then wipe? I read somewhere that wiping it could help the phone perform better.

I guess I'll have to live without the things I loved about 5.0. Today I had important situations where I needed to read something fast and the thing would just freeze.

And then I'm sitting downtown in one of the biggest cities of America and it tells me I got no service. I knew better than that. I turned the signal off and then turn it back on and I got full 1XEV service. In the same spot.

If I wipe the phone I can get my contacts back on it from my google sync in my gmail account right? And if I don't need to wipe the thing then tell me. But if so tell me which order I do this in.
    02-17-10 08:33 PM
    Just do a backup through DM and downgrade to 4.7 should be fine

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-10 08:38 PM
    Back up your phone with Desktop Manager. Back up or save any activation codes for 3rd party apps you have.

I personally wipe the phone before installing any OS, your choice. If you do, you need to restore from your backup file after installing the OS (no big deal at all, very easy).

Download the 4.7 or other OS you want, make sure all other OS' are uninstalled. Then run the installer file for the OS you want. If it isn't from your carrier, you'll need to delete the vendor.xml file from programs\common files\rim\apploader if I remember correctly. You can search for the file if needed. I install OS by using loader.exe or plain loader in the same folder you deleted vendor.xml from.

Don't unplug the phone until it's done, and then open DM and pick restore to get your settings, contacts, etc back. Your sound profile(s) may not restore as I believe they were a bit different in 4.7...

02-17-10 08:42 PM
    Back up your phone with Desktop Manager. Back up or save any activation codes for 3rd party apps you have.

I personally wipe the phone before installing any OS, your choice. If you do, you need to restore from your backup file after installing the OS (no big deal at all, very easy).

Download the 4.7 or other OS you want, make sure all other OS' are uninstalled. Then run the installer file for the OS you want. If it isn't from your carrier, you'll need to delete the vendor.xml file from programs\common files\rim\apploader if I remember correctly. You can search for the file if needed. I install OS by using loader.exe or plain loader in the same folder you deleted vendor.xml from.

Don't unplug the phone until it's done, and then open DM and pick restore to get your settings, contacts, etc back. Your sound profile(s) may not restore as I believe they were a bit different in 4.7...

Well, my DM already had 4.7, so that means it's still on my computer right? And it has 5.0 listed. So, how do I uninstall 5.0 from my computer? Is it in control panel? And do I need to uninstall it BEFORE downgrading?

So, here's what I need to do, correct me if wrong....

1. Uninstall 5.0 from my computer.

2. Open desktop manager and create a backup file.

3. Click downgrade to 4.7 on desktop manager with device software.

4. Go to my settings in my BlackBerry and wipe it?

I want to make sure theres no trace of 5.0 or the .COD files I downloaded for the 5.0 browser patch. This will delete those .COD files right?

EDIT: or do I go to my phone settings and wipe my phone BEFORE downgrading?

EDIT 2: I want it completely wiped. Like a new phone. No trace of 5.0 .COD files. No anything. Brand new.

AND if I wipe my phone before installing 4.7 won't 5.0 still be on there? And then I'll install 4.7? Wouldn't it be better to go to 4.7 and then wipe the phone that way theres no trace?
    Last edited by curve0644; 02-17-10 at 08:51 PM.
    02-17-10 08:47 PM
    Well, my DM already had 4.7, so that means it's still on my computer right? And it has 5.0 listed. So, how do I uninstall 5.0 from my computer? Is it in control panel? And do I need to uninstall it BEFORE downgrading?

So, here's what I need to do, correct me if wrong....

1. Uninstall 5.0 from my computer.

2. Open desktop manager and create a backup file.

3. Click downgrade to 4.7 on desktop manager with device software.

4. Go to my settings in my BlackBerry and wipe it?

I want to make sure theres no trace of 5.0 or the .COD files I downloaded for the 5.0 browser patch. This will delete those .COD files right?

EDIT: or do I go to my phone settings and wipe my phone BEFORE downgrading?
    I can't tell you how to install/uninstall an OS from DM because I use the procedure listed above with loader.exe instead.

Go to Control panel >Add/remove programs to uninstall an OS from the computer.

Open DM to make your backup. After backing up, I close DM because it's not what I use for dealing with OS but if it's what you like, go ahead and keep it open.

Wipe the phone now if you want. There are programs for it (BBSAK, JL_CMDER, etc), or can probably do your security wipe from the phone itself. When that's done you should get a white screen with some shapes and a 507 message. That is what you want.

Now use either DM or loader.exe to reinstall your OS.

When that completes you may need DM to restore your data.

02-17-10 08:56 PM
    Your steps will only put 4.7 back onto your Tour, not wipe it.

To wipe it, download BBSAK. Use it to back up apps before you wipe. You can even use it to load an OS. (not positive but I wanna say it starts app loader)

Going from 5.0 to 4.7 shouldn't be any problem. You don't have to wipe it if you don't want - it is kinda fun though, and terrifying your first time.
    02-17-10 09:06 PM
    Your steps will only put 4.7 back onto your Tour, not wipe it.

To wipe it, download BBSAK. Use it to back up apps before you wipe. You can even use it to load an OS. (not positive but I wanna say it starts app loader)

Going from 5.0 to 4.7 shouldn't be any problem. You don't have to wipe it if you don't want - it is kinda fun though, and terrifying your first time.
    Well, what I'm trying to find out, is do I get 4.7 and then wipe? Or do I wipe while I have 5.0 on my phone? And if I don't wipe will it keep .cod files or any traces of 5.0?
    02-17-10 09:11 PM
    You wipe before you install the OS you want to install, so in your case, wipe now when it has 5.0 on it, because if you wait to wipe until after you install the other OS, you'll have to reinstall that OS again because you wiped the device.

The steps are: backup the device, wipe the device, reinstall whatever OS you want...

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 02-17-10 at 09:27 PM.
    02-17-10 09:25 PM
    You wipe before you install the OS you want to install, so in your case, wipe now when it has 5.0 on it, because if you wait to wipe until after you install the other OS, you'll have to reinstall that OS again because you wiped the device.

The steps are: backup the device, wipe the device, reinstall whatever OS you want...

Okay, I appreciate it. My friend says to give 5.0 a few more days before I do it but I don't know. Like right now it's acting so good and fast. No problems. But then when I'm doing something important the thing just messes with me. Have you had any of these problems?

I'm on Verizon but I'm using Alltel 5.0.0.149 with the browser .COD patch. But I didn't have any problems until I installed the patch. Do you think that patch could cause me problems? How do I just delete the .cod files and try that? I asked that once on here and it was so confusing I was like, okay maybe not!
    02-17-10 09:34 PM
    What I would do before abandoning 5.0 would be back up the device, wipe the device and install that 5.0 again. Let it have a few days to settle in.

What does the browser patch do? I'm on VZW, using MTS' .419, which should be no different from Alltel's, and not using the patch you reference. You may want to omit the patch.

You can use BBSAK (can search here for it) to manipulate your .cod files iirc.

02-17-10 09:39 PM
    In my opinion if you're having issues with the current OS on your phone you're best off by wiping before up/downgrading. Infact, if you are game, I'd wipe then reinstall the 5.0 OS and give it a go again, If you didn't wipe before you loaded it you might have just had a bad install.
    Biggest thing is do a "backup" using DM which saves your contacts, app settings, messages, mail settings, and notes. Then do a backup using BBSAK which saves all your apps.

Now I restart both phone and PC but that may be overkill... wipe phone with BBSAK and at the white screen "load software" I load up my new/old OS. Then restore the program apps from BBSAK backup then last restore the settings,contacts etc backup from DM.
    02-17-10 09:41 PM
    Okay, I appreciate it. My friend says to give 5.0 a few more days before I do it but I don't know. Like right now it's acting so good and fast. No problems. But then when I'm doing something important the thing just messes with me. Have you had any of these problems?

I'm on Verizon but I'm using Alltel 5.0.0.149 with the browser .COD patch. But I didn't have any problems until I installed the patch. Do you think that patch could cause me problems? How do I just delete the .cod files and try that? I asked that once on here and it was so confusing I was like, okay maybe not!
    I don't think the browser patch was meant for the 419. When I was reading through the compatibles it didn't say 419 so I didn't use it. I'm running a Sprint tour with a 5.0.0.419 MTS based hybrid. (12many 4.0 build 2) on both this phone and my guy's Verizon Tour.. both with awesome results.
    02-17-10 09:43 PM
    I don't think the browser patch was meant for the 419. When I was reading through the compatibles it didn't say 419 so I didn't use it. I'm running a Sprint tour with a 5.0.0.419 MTS based hybrid. (12many 4.0 build 2) on both this phone and my guy's Verizon Tour.. both with awesome results.
    Well, the browser patch does work on .419 as far as making it way faster though they just said they didn't test it on .419. I wish I could install a hybrid but I looked into it and couldn't figure it out.

Another question I have, Do any of you have problems with someone getting your text like 3 or 4 times when you only send it once? I have it happen from other people too but since I got 5.0 my friend says the past 3 days it does it like very often and never did before.
    02-17-10 09:47 PM
    Thread SMS is broken and they should have given us the option to shut it off.. I may look cool but if you send over hundred texts a day, it does slow the phone and freeze it as well. No reinstall/batt pull can fix that..
    02-18-10 09:55 AM
    Wait, are you on a Tour? Your profile says 8330.
    02-18-10 10:01 AM
    Well, the browser patch does work on .419 as far as making it way faster though they just said they didn't test it on .419. I wish I could install a hybrid but I looked into it and couldn't figure it out.

Another question I have, Do any of you have problems with someone getting your text like 3 or 4 times when you only send it once? I have it happen from other people too but since I got 5.0 my friend says the past 3 days it does it like very often and never did before.
    To install hybrids you run the base OS exe on your PC.. in my case I ran the 419 MTS Then delete the java folder and replace it with the Java folder unrarred from the hybrid download, in my case 12many'sV4 build 2. Then delete vendor file as normal, run shrinkOS to remove unwanted programs and load up phone.

Basic: Load base OS on PC replace (not over write) Java folders with hybrid folders and you're ready to load.
    02-18-10 12:07 PM
    Yes I'm on a tour I've just never changed my profile. I need to change it so people quit asking that. Why would I be asking this many questions about the Tour if I didn't one?
    02-18-10 01:17 PM
    Thread SMS is broken and they should have given us the option to shut it off.. I may look cool but if you send over hundred texts a day, it does slow the phone and freeze it as well. No reinstall/batt pull can fix that..
    This is one of my problems! SO is that what causes it to not let me open it? Whenever a thread is too long?
    02-18-10 01:29 PM
    Yes I'm on a tour I've just never changed my profile. I need to change it so people quit asking that. Why would I be asking this many questions about the Tour if I didn't one?
    Taking 10 seconds to change that would eliminate the confusion.
    02-18-10 01:29 PM
    To install hybrids you run the base OS exe on your PC.. in my case I ran the 419 MTS Then delete the java folder and replace it with the Java folder unrarred from the hybrid download, in my case 12many'sV4 build 2. Then delete vendor file as normal, run shrinkOS to remove unwanted programs and load up phone.

Basic: Load base OS on PC replace (not over write) Java folders with hybrid folders and you're ready to load.
    Yeah, but just imagine you know nothing about this stuff and someone just wrote that to you. I'm not savvy with this. It makes no sense!!!

How do I run the OS on my PC? do I do that with the swiss army knife thing?
    02-18-10 01:30 PM
    Taking 10 seconds to change that would eliminate the confusion.
    Yeah, but I'm in a Tour forum asking about 5.0 going bad on my Tour. No one should be confused.
    02-18-10 01:31 PM
    Yeah, but just imagine you know nothing about this stuff and someone just wrote that to you. I'm not savvy with this. It makes no sense!!!

How do I run the OS on my PC? do I do that with the swiss army knife thing?
    ah OK.. Well, I assumed since you put the 419 on your phone you knew how to run the OS on your PC.

So, find the OS you want and the hybrid you want that is based on that OS. Download files. Click on the OS exe which (runs/installs it to your pc). Unzip the hybrid files and save folder to your desktop. Now navigate to the folder where you're OS is installed C:\Program Files (or Program Files x86 if running 64bit system)\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files\the folder that has the same name as the OS you just ran the EXE on... scroll to hte bottom, and delete the Java folder, move the Java folder you unzipped from the hybrid file to this same place. You're ready to run.

ShrinkOS is another program like bbsak.. you use it to get rid of unwanted programs but is not necessary to use if you want to skip.
    02-18-10 02:56 PM
    ah OK.. Well, I assumed since you put the 419 on your phone you knew how to run the OS on your PC.

So, find the OS you want and the hybrid you want that is based on that OS. Download files. Click on the OS exe which (runs/installs it to your pc). Unzip the hybrid files and save folder to your desktop. Now navigate to the folder where you're OS is installed C:\Program Files (or Program Files x86 if running 64bit system)\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files\the folder that has the same name as the OS you just ran the EXE on... scroll to hte bottom, and delete the Java folder, move the Java folder you unzipped from the hybrid file to this same place. You're ready to run.

ShrinkOS is another program like bbsak.. you use it to get rid of unwanted programs but is not necessary to use if you want to skip.
    All I did was download the OS and delete vendor file. Then I went in to DM and installed 5.0.

I'm going to try this.
    02-18-10 03:00 PM
    Good Luck, its easier than it sounds really.
    02-20-10 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD