I figured we should have a thread where people can ask about what the Tour supports, software wise. Here is my question:

I had to buy beyond 160 for txt messages larger than 160 words on my Curve. Does the Tour support this natively?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 05:27 AM
    What are you trying to ask? Like does the Tour allow more than 160 characters to be typed in a message? It does... I only have the Bold to verify, but when you are typing texts, I believe when you go over 160 characters it "becomes" a new text. I think you can go upto 6 "new" texts when you are writing to someone. So what I mean is, you can type 160 characters upto 6 times in one text for a total of like 960 characters. If you only have say a 125 text message limit, i think it will count as 6 texts all at once since you used so many characters.
    Last edited by Madness87; 07-09-09 at 05:38 AM.
    07-09-09 05:29 AM
    No, if I exceed 160 characters, will it automatically break them up into separate, smaller messages.

07-09-09 05:37 AM
    No, if I exceed 160 characters, will it automatically break them up into separate, smaller messages.

I do not believe that the tour will support this feature that you are asking for..CDMA carriers generally don't support this option.. Most likely you will either have to start another sms message or buy beyond 160...this is also an issue for me so i will most likely buy the app for my tour too...
    07-09-09 05:41 AM

That is what he meant. It is not possible to sent a text larger than 160 characters, that is the limit of the bandwidth used to send them. All beyond 160 is a a program that performs that function on models that do not support natively.
    07-09-09 05:41 AM
    I do not believe that the tour will support this feature that you are asking for..CDMA carriers generally don't support this option.. Most likely you will either have to start another sms message or buy beyond 160...this is also an issue for me so i will most likely buy the app for my tour too...
    Not so. My current phone (WinMo) breaks them up into separate messages and I'm on VZW.
    07-09-09 05:44 AM
    You should be able to send many hundreds of characters in an MMS message
    07-09-09 05:45 AM
    That program should work on the tour

07-09-09 05:46 AM
    I have friends that get free sms, but not mms. That being said, I'm sure I'll just buy beyond 160 for my Tour.

07-09-09 05:47 AM
    boomhower is correct.

SMS is not MMS nor email, nor PIN nor BBM

sms txt by definition are limited to 160 characters. period.
    Many phones have the ability to split longer messages into two or more 160 char txts, however this does require carrier support..

I have no idea of the "beyond160" howver it most likely simply creates a second 160ch txt as the curve does not natively do this..
    07-09-09 06:57 AM
    My Curve did that on a GSM carrier but the Storm will not on a CDMA carrier. But like many have said, its all about the carrier. I so need that program I text too much Lol.
    07-09-09 08:50 AM
    On most Verizon non-smart phones, you are able to send SMS messages greater than 160 characters thanks to something called EMS. Enhanced Messaging Service is an adaptation of the Short Message Service that allows users to send and receive small sounds, little images, 160+ characters, as well as a combination of simple media to and from EMS-compliant handsets. Please do not confuse EMS with MMS. If a message is sent to a phone that is not EMS-capable, the recipient will still receive the text portion of the message, and also the FIRST 160 characters only. The LG Dare, Voyager, enV, enV2, enV3, EnV Touch, etc etc etc are all EMS capable. Sadly, I don't see the Tour being EMS enabled.
    07-09-09 12:26 PM
    I don't see why Blackberrys and other smart phones don't support EMS.

A good friend of mine has an HTC Touch on VZW and when my GF (using an EnV2) texts him with over 160 charaters he doesn't recieve anything and she gets a message stating "The intended recipient does not support Verizon's Enhanced Messaging Service. Only the first 160 characters will be sent." and as I mentioned, he doesn't get the msg at all.

However when we text her brother on AT&T (he has an HTC Tilt), he recieves the entire message as one text no matter how long it is and we do not recieve that notification that it was too long.

Also when she sends me a message (I have an 8330 on VZW) she gets the same notification
    "The intended recipient does not support Verizon's Enhanced Messaging Service. Only the first 160 characters will be sent." but I recieve the entire message in one text. Not broken up into many.

Anyone know why it is so different from phone to phone / carrier to carrier?
    07-09-09 12:46 PM
    Hmm, I'm not sure if it's 100% carrier-specific or not. I know on my current (timeless) Katana, I can't send anything over 160 characters (though I could receive texts in pieces that are over 160 characters). However, when I used my HTC Touch Pro, I was able to send texts that were more than 160 characters (and it just broke them up into multiple texts). I was using WinMO6.5 at the time, and I know the texts were threaded so I didn't know if that had anything to do with it... >.>
    07-09-09 01:51 PM
    I don't think it would be a carrier issue. The phone can have software saying the split up a message and seperate them into chunks of 160 or less. Thus we have beyond160. I'm not sure if the Tour has this yet, but I think this is an issue RIM plans on addressing with BB OS 5.0.

Edit:
    BTW my verizon smartphone splits up text messages longer than 160. I have a Samsung i760.
    07-09-09 02:06 PM
    I don't know what you guys are talking about CDMA carriers not supporting this. I've used a 8330 curve on Sprint that if I type a total of 200 char, it'll send one text with 160, and a second text with 40 char automatically.
    07-09-09 02:26 PM
    I don't know what you guys are talking about CDMA carriers not supporting this. I've used a 8330 curve on Sprint that if I type a total of 200 char, it'll send one text with 160, and a second text with 40 char automatically.
    What are YOU talking about? I currently have a Sprint 8330 Curve and the max char it allows is 160. It will automatically stop me from typing if i exceed the 160 char and it DOESNT carry over to a new text.
    07-09-09 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD