If you're going to be near the Verizon store, then I would insert the battery before leaving the area so you can check the battery door. The problem seems to be with the battery door moving up and down a lot, although I've heard complaints of it moving side to side, too. If you have one of the problem battery doors, I think you'll know it pretty quickly.

My Tour is a Mexico 5 and I have absolutely no problems with the battery door; I'm not sure that the Canada vs Mexico question was ever truly resolved. Remember, most people post when they have problems, so you're going to see more complaints about the battery door than compliments---mine is fine, so I had no need to post that (although the loose door is a definite problem for some). My guess is that you have a good chance of getting a good Tour.

As for the gap, someone posted about a gap between the screen and the row of buttons that includes the trackball. I haven't seen any other posts about that, so I don't think that's a widespread problem.

Good luck!
    yup its the batt cover itself not the whole phone. I had mines swapped with a new batt cover earlier and now mines is snug. so i would suggest just swapping it out at a verizon store
    07-16-09 06:13 PM
    Ok, so here's the update...The FedEx location where I picked up my phone was less than a mile away from a Verizon store, so I just drove to the Verizon parking lot and opened it up. Sure enough, at the base of the phone, there was a gap between the battery cover and the phone. Since I've been reading about it on here, I wasn't surprised.

I went into the store with my box and handed the phone over showing the rep where the battery cover wasn't snug. He couldn't understand what I was complaining about. He asked if I was worried it was going to fall off. I said no, but dust, dirt, etc. could easily get in there, plus it shouldn't be that way regardless. He left for about 5-7 minutes and came back and told me he "worked the battery cover pretty good and it didn't come off." I told him I could care less about that, I wanted a new phone or new battery cover that fit snug.

He told me he looked at 3-4 back there and they were all the same. He said he would show me so I said ok, do it. He brought out 3 phones and the first 2 were like mine, but the last one, the cover fit much more snug, at least the gap wasn't there, so I told him, I want that one. He looked dumbfounded at my request and said he didn't understand. So I held up both phones, pointing the base of the phone in his direction and said, are you telling me you can't tell a difference?

He was still bewildered, and left again for another 5 minutes, presumably to get managers approval, and when he came back, he didn't say anything, just start scanning stuff to make the switch.

He was nice at the end, but not so much in the middle. If I'm going to spend the money I did on this phone, it better be to my liking. It's funny that he was standing in front of a sign that said, "30-day guaranteed satisfaction" or something to that effect.

So at the end of the day, I'm glad I wasn't home to get the phone this morning and that I went straight over to the Verizon store.
    07-16-09 10:44 PM
    Mexico 5 and it's tight!
    07-16-09 10:52 PM
    Superglue ftw.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 10:53 PM
    Where did you put the superglue? That's glue-ing it shut isn't it?
    07-16-09 10:56 PM
    Mine fits fine
    07-16-09 10:59 PM
    Well sort of. Superglue has great lateral strength but not pull apart strength so technically it would seal it but a tiny dot pops right open. Originally I put on dot on the bottom left corner but I added one on the right too and its perfect.

Seriously think about it. With 132 mb free and quickpull installed there really is no reason to need the battery door coming off. For me, battery life has been so astounding vs my storm I don't have to have 2 batteeries either.

07-16-09 11:01 PM
    Well sort of. Superglue has great lateral strength but not pull apart strength so technically it would seal it but a tiny dot pops right open. Originally I put on dot on the bottom left corner but I added one on the right too and its perfect.

Seriously think about it. With 132 mb free and quickpull installed there really is no reason to need the battery door coming off. For me, battery life has been so astounding vs my storm I don't have to have 2 batteeries either.

Hmmm....I'm kind of hesitant to put super glue on my phone, but I think I'm good now with the swap.

So you put tiny dots on the bottom left and right corners of your battery cover and pushed down?
    07-16-09 11:05 PM
    Yup. Its rock solid and I'm glad I did it. It was hard at first because the storm was a battery pullin machine. This device is great and if I need to get in there it will pop right off. I tested my theory on an old broken curve I have.

07-16-09 11:08 PM
    Is there away to tell where the phone was made on the outside of the box? Or do you have to look at the phone?
    07-16-09 11:13 PM
    Yup. Its rock solid and I'm glad I did it. It was hard at first because the storm was a battery pullin machine. This device is great and if I need to get in there it will pop right off. I tested my theory on an old broken curve I have.

Will definitely keep this in mind in case I have any problems. Think pretty much any brand super glue will do?
    07-16-09 11:15 PM
    Yup. I just used krazy glue.

07-16-09 11:18 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD