if you unlock a blackberry tour and use it on GSM, I assume it will be on edge right? But more importantly, will it do data/voice together considering its using a GSM radio?
    05-25-09 03:46 PM
    if you unlock a blackberry tour and use it on GSM, I assume it will be on edge right? But more importantly, will it do data/voice together considering its using a GSM radio?
    No. EDGE does not allow for voice and data simultaneously. The device must be UMTS/HSPA capable in order to do so.
    05-25-09 04:04 PM

if you were thinking this route why wouldn't you just wait for the onyx.
    05-25-09 06:58 PM
    I apologize. I didn't make my post clear enough. Granted you did say EDGE, if you are overseas and are using the 2100MHz UMTS/HSPA band, then yes you will have simultaneous voice and data capabilities. But not here in the states.
    05-25-09 07:04 PM
    so HSPA is available n the tour, just overseas only?

and edge doesn't do voice/data together no matter what the carrier?
    05-25-09 09:14 PM
    That is corrrrect. (Gameshow host voice )
    05-25-09 09:24 PM
    will the GSM sim card be unlockable? I dont see a purpose of a world phone if I cant buy a prepared sim card for my device. Whats the criteria for verizon to give u an unlock code?
    05-25-09 11:22 PM
    will the GSM sim card be unlockable? I dont see a purpose of a world phone if I cant buy a prepared sim card for my device. Whats the criteria for verizon to give u an unlock code?

I donno when the storm came out a ton of people just called in and told them there traveling and they need to use a sim in that area and they got it unlocked...

I think that in the my verizon when you do this the ESN switcher is removed..
    Last edited by noaim; 05-25-09 at 11:30 PM.
    05-25-09 11:24 PM
    so wait a min, if u unlock a tour for use with "lets say" at&t, it will only be able to use edge???

If I'm right, how does the phone use edge "only" here but HSPA overseas??? Is there some sort of block? U know... since HSPA capability is already on the device...
    05-25-09 11:40 PM
    so wait a min, if u unlock a tour for use with "lets say" at&t, it will only be able to use edge???

If I'm right, how does the phone use edge "only" here but HSPA overseas??? Is there some sort of block? U know... since HSPA capability is already on the device...
    That's correct. EDGE only on AT&T.

The reason you'd get 3G overseas is because it has the necessary frequencies that they use overseas for 3G. In the US, it has the frequencies for Verizon's 3G, but only AT&T's EDGE. They use different frequencies overseas. I hope that made sense, lol.
    05-25-09 11:42 PM
    yes the band frequencies are different thats how there able to lock it down...

just like a current storm will only use edge on other networks in the usa..
    05-25-09 11:46 PM
    yes the band frequencies are different thats how there able to lock it down...

just like a current storm will only use edge on other networks in the usa..
    It's not necessarily being locked down, it just isn't capable.
    05-25-09 11:48 PM

well.. it kind of is being locked down in a way I guess?

because if it wasn't then they could just make it work on everything. Whether its from Rim or verizon either way you look at it its not working on 3g on at&t...

I guess I worded my statement wrong..
    05-25-09 11:51 PM
    so they removed the freq band that is needed for it to work on HSPA in the US???

If thats the case, sounds like intentional elimination to me...
    05-25-09 11:58 PM
    I donno when the storm came out a ton of people just called in and told them there traveling and they need to use a sim in that area and they got it unlocked...

I think that in the my verizon when you do this the ESN switcher is removed..
    ESN switcher removed? I never noticed that. Well, I never actually had to use it since I got my Storm so I never checked.
    Last edited by ushneb; 05-26-09 at 10:09 AM.
    05-26-09 10:04 AM
    I wonder if they'll unlock it as a condition of the purchase if ur a travelor in general.

It just makes sense to do it before u get locked in.

Or maybe I'll test drive it and if they don't unlock it with the 30 days, I'll return it and switch carriers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 11:19 AM
    No, it's being locked down. There are multiple UMTS bands in both the Storm and the 9630, however only 2100MHz will work. See below:

05-26-09 12:12 PM
    Ohhh. Thanks CX. Well then, shame on them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 12:53 PM
    No, it's being locked down. There are multiple UMTS bands in both the Storm and the 9630, however only 2100MHz will work. See below:

any way to have it unlocked?
    05-26-09 12:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD