This is not a rant. It is simply sharing my experiences so others can make a more informed decision. I am a proud and happy Sprint Curve owner hooked up to my own BPS in the office. I also am a huge gadget freak and MUST have the latest technology. I am a Sprint premier customer and am eligible for an upgrade now (and I believe every year).

I held out getting the Tour until there were today themes and was hoping to wait it out a few months so any production issues were resolved. So last week I went to bestbuy to get my first tour. After 24 hours, I immediately noticed a problem with the trackball (and battery cover) so I swapped it for a new one which seemed to work as designed.

I have been using the new one for a week now and have the following observations to make:

Build - The tour feels much sleeker and looks much cooler. I find it a bit heavier and it doesn't give me the impression that it is as durable/rugged. It is extremely slippery and fingerprint prone though part of that would be resolved when my Verizon door arrives that I ordered on ebay.

Battery Life - My impression is that it is sllghtly worse than the curve. Maybe that is because of the REVA modem or the better screen.

Screen - No doubt the screen is much nicer and sharper. However, that also means many things are much smaller. None of the today themes has fonts that are big enough IMHO.

OS Speed - Everyone is saying the speed is so much better. I am simply not noticing it.

Internet Speed - I know that REVA is better than REV0 but I am simply not noticing a speed increase.

Keyboard - It's different and I can get used to it if needed but I personally like the curve's KB better. Laptopmag agrees. I found pressing the keys on the tour were quieter but the trackball was louder to click.

App Memory - No brainer. I have to worry about the apps I install on the Curve but can go crazy on the Tour. But I have reached a happy compromise on my curve and there isn't really anything that compelling that I need to put on my curve that I can't.

Future-proof - Clearly the curve will be abandoned as it is replaced with newer models. I doubt I will see as much software updates, if any, on the curve. That worries me.

Profiles - the implementation on the tour is terrible IMHO. Even the threads here say that it will be "corrected" and back like the curve's in the next OS release.

Design - Requiring a new USB plug is a pain but can't be avoided. The new plug is becoming a standard and you can buy motorola adapters for $1 on ebay. However, the fact that the USB port is now on the lower right instead of the upper left (like the curve) makes it MUCH harder to hold and type when charging. I honestly don't get that design change.

Reboots - Takes 5-7 minutes vs. 3 minutes on my curve. When needed on the road, 7 minutes without a phone is way too long.

Vibrate - much weaker on the Tour. Is a strong curve even necessary? I like it better.

Signal strength - seems much worse on the tour. My curve (and my wifes) always had more bars than the tour.

The GPS doesn't yet work with Google Maps. I am sure that will be fixed soon.

Also, as my wife uses a curve and I have many accessories with the same USB plug, I will now have different ones. But, I ordered some adapters for $1/each from ebay so that is less of a problem.

So, all in all, I am a bit conflicted as I want the newest gadget that will be updated but I think I should wait a little while longer. When the profiles, Google/GPS and maybe better Today themes are available (as well as a new batch of devices where it isn't a crap-shoot if you get a good one), I will consider it again. If that is when the new Tour comes out with Wifi, even better.

I haven't given it back yet but did switch back to the curve for now. Does anyone want to convince me that I am making a mistake?
    Last edited by gadgetfreak2; 09-08-09 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Added section about design
    08-26-09 07:12 AM
    So after reading your post, I dont really clearly understand why you wish to return the device. You have listed a lot of good features of the phone, and aside from your initial trouble of the trackball and battery door(which the battery door is a complaint of the bold and 8900, so dont expect quick resolution of this)

so why exactly did you want to return it?

Also, it looks like you already took care of your other concerns, adapters, battery door and such, so are you planning on returning all those as well?
    08-26-09 07:16 AM
    I just don't think it is worth it. Based on what I said, what exactly is better on the tour for me? The curve is more reliable and more rugged for me and I don't have to deal with profile and GPS problems. I also haven't found a today screen on the tour that is acceptable to me. That is not to say I won't upgrade when some of these issues are resolved. But, at $200, I personally don't seem to be getting the benefits that everyone else is raving about. To be honest, even if it was given to me for free, I am not sure I would prefer the tour over my trusty curve at this point.

As for the accessories, the $20 worth of stuff will sit in my drawer until I actually upgrade (which may only be a few months away).

But I am willing to be convinced that I am wrong
    Last edited by gadgetfreak2; 08-26-09 at 07:27 AM.
    08-26-09 07:23 AM
    No disrespect but with all that you said above, what do you want anyone to convince you with?
    You CLEARLY like the Curve better and there is nothing wrong with that, so stick with the Curve.
    End of story. When they come out with something you like better.... Do it then.
    Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 07:29 AM
    I can understand where you coming from, but you have to realize that it is a new device and some apps don't support it yet, but I'm sure they are working on it. OS updates will soon be releasing to decrease bugs and work on fixes as also to improve battery life a lil. IMO is a very solid device and with time and updates it will only get better, so I don't thing you should return it.
    08-26-09 07:29 AM
    My GPS works with google maps just fine. You just have to turn the GPS on...
    08-26-09 07:34 AM
    Well I dont know to convince you based on how you feel, but honestly I came from a Curve as well, and at first wasn't the Tours biggest fan, but now i cant even look back.

Now with the profiles, what is your exact issue with them? I have had no problems since day one on my Tour with any type of sound issue from the profiles, except when I accidentally deleted all the ringtones while not paying attention, but solved that myself.

As for the GPS, that has been an ongoing battle with CDMA devices for a long time, no?

As for the today screen, themes are going to be hard, especially with having only just had the release of the kit to develop the themes come out. Today themes are especially hard, being as each person prefers something just a bit different. Have you checked all of the site options for them? (Free BlackBerry Themes | Blackberry Storm Themes | Blackberry Bold Themes, PimpMyBerry! - Pimp Your BlackBerry!, here on crackberry, etc?)

Personally, the keyboard is much nicer on this device, the overall look and feel of the device. The battery is a bit less, but I am investing in the 1600mAh battery to solver that issue. The screen is far superior to the curve which is a huge plus, and the 3.2mp camera takes amazing photos.

The upgraded OS over the Curve is extremely stable, and I have yet to have any issue with the OS of the Tour, so thats a non issue IMO.

The memory is a no brainer, the Tour kills the curve in this category even with tons of applications installed.

Just my $.02.
    08-26-09 07:38 AM
    If my work didn't pay for my service or phone upgrades I wouldn't have bought this phone as a personal phone.

It's just way to fragile. It just sits on my desk most of the time. If I know I'll be running around, i take my curve with me. If I'll be doing some sport activities, i'll take my RIM 8700 with me. If I have to wear a suite to a conference or something, my Tour comes with me. I just feel it's too delicate to lug around. Can't wait to get my 7th phone ( Storm 2) just to play with.

It does suck to have 6 phone numbers though. Still have to support the older models for my users.

08-26-09 07:52 AM
    The tour is newer & is a huge upgrade from a curve. But is you don't want the tour just wait for the 8530... Should be out on sprint soon.
    08-26-09 07:59 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. My main purpose of my original post was to shed some light for others that are thinking about switching. I am a big boy I don't "need" convincing. However, the amount of knowledge that is on these forums often shows me angles that I haven't thought about before.

The Tour GPS does not work with the Sprint Google Maps. It is a known issue and only affects Sprint. As I said, I assume a fix is forthcoming.

As for the profiles, this is also a known "issue" and documented extensively on these boards. You cannot modify the pre-programmed profiles and there is much less configuration with them. You also can't delete ones that you don't need like you can on the curve. I could get used to it if needed but it is a step backwards IMHO.

I looked at all the today themes and the fonts are all too small IMHO.

I am not saying it won't be a fantastic device. I just feel that, right now and FOR ME, it is not better than the curve overall and, unless memory is a HUGE limiting factor for you on the curve, it may be worthwhile to wait until some of the other issues are resolved. Just my opinion. But I welcome comments.
    08-26-09 08:02 AM
    I dont understand any of these posts that says the tour is too fragile. Its a phone, not a piece of athletic equipment. Its not to be used to break open any doors. It does not make a good speed bump and as a weapon it leaves alot to be disired. If you are the type of person who drops thier phones constantly, or you have some sort of spasm which causes you to throw things at the wall then get a innocase or something.
    Last edited by garment69; 08-26-09 at 08:09 AM.
    08-26-09 08:06 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. My main purpose of my original post was to shed some light for others that are thinking about switching. I am a big boy I don't "need" convincing. However, the amount of knowledge that is on these forums often shows me angles that I haven't thought about before.

The Tour GPS does not work with the Sprint Google Maps. It is a known issue and only affects Sprint. As I said, I assume a fix is forthcoming.

As for the profiles, this is also a known "issue" and documented extensively on these boards. You cannot modify the pre-programmed profiles and there is much less configuration with them. You also can't delete ones that you don't need like you can on the curve. I could get used to it if needed but it is a step backwards IMHO.

I looked at all the today themes and the fonts are all too small IMHO.

I am not saying it won't be a fantastic device. I just feel that, right now and FOR ME, it is not better than the curve overall and, unless memory is a HUGE limiting factor for you on the curve, it may be worthwhile to wait until some of the other issues are resolved. Just my opinion. But I welcome comments.

With the profiles, is that on Sprint device only? because I have completely edited my "normal" profile and have never had a problem with it.
    08-26-09 08:08 AM
    OP: Why are you telling us this? I just don't see any logic behind a post that involves returning a phone. You don't like the Tour, why would you think anyone on a Tour forum would care?
    08-26-09 08:12 AM
    whatever... i have a curve too and have gone back and forth with the tour several times. the tour is way easier and quicker to navigate. the ui is much cleaner.

and when the tour gets an os upgrade, there will be no comparison.
    08-26-09 08:12 AM
    @gadgetfreak2

give it one more try.. reading your post, it seems like you haven't even had the phone for at least a week. maybe you'll appreciate what the tour offers. but if you really, really don't think so, then your welcome to go back to your curve.
    08-26-09 08:23 AM
    This isn't really something we should be convincing you of. I've had two Tours on two different carriers, purchased at different times and haven't had a single problem listed in these forums. A smartphone is really a personal decision! You have to figure out what works for you. Chances are if you need convincing, it is because you're hesitant. Maybe stick with your Curve if you're really that worried about it. I love my Tour and my Bold, even though they are two different devices. I've never owned a Curve, and wouldn't want to (I think it looks and feels cheap-ish), mostly because they are used for business.

The choice is yours, and no ones opinion is better than your own.

I just don't think it is worth it. Based on what I said, what exactly is better on the tour for me? The curve is more reliable and more rugged for me and I don't have to deal with profile and GPS problems. I also haven't found a today screen on the tour that is acceptable to me. That is not to say I won't upgrade when some of these issues are resolved. But, at $200, I personally don't seem to be getting the benefits that everyone else is raving about. To be honest, even if it was given to me for free, I am not sure I would prefer the tour over my trusty curve at this point.

As for the accessories, the $20 worth of stuff will sit in my drawer until I actually upgrade (which may only be a few months away).

But I am willing to be convinced that I am wrong
    08-26-09 08:31 AM
    Have you considered/tried a PIM app? I tried several (Agendus, etc.) but bought emobile Today Pro. Tho no trial on that one I liked the much cleaner layout. No probs. I got it from Mobihand. Costly for an app, but I used a coupon I found by googling, and with the discount got the weather extension for free. I started out with software on my Curve 8330, and rolled it right into my Tour. e-mobile has released 2 upgrades since Tour came out and both cause no problems. I have everything at a glance on my Today page and can readily access emails, contacts, calendar, tasks, etc. (Nice screenshots if you google.)

GPS using google maps works fine on my Tour, did out of town anyway, better than my portable GPS unit. That seems to be a sporadic issue rather than universal.

Internet: get Opera Mini. Takes a bit longer to load on my phone, but once loaded, it's a whiz compared to BB's native browser. (But then there are two browsers that are soon to release Tour compatible versions. Skyp? I think is one, that is supposed to kick the pants of all other mobile browsers.

Oh yeah, keyboard. I was used to Curve's after 5 months but still didn't do well on it. Tour took a good ten days or so for me to get going on well. Much prefer it now.

Didn't read posts, apologies for any repetitions.
    And hope this makes sense, lack of sleep + not enough java yet this a.m.
    08-26-09 08:32 AM
    OP: Why are you telling us this? I just don't see any logic behind a post that involves returning a phone. You don't like the Tour, why would you think anyone on a Tour forum would care?
    Now that is funny.......but to the original poster...I too came over from the curve and would not consider going back....The Tour is so much faster, it is like night and day for me....while the Curve did seem to be more durable, I'm not in an environment where that is a concern for me, plus I have insurance. But at the end of the day, we can post until we turn blue in the face but you are the one who has to live with the Tour so you shouldn't base your decision on what we say but on your own experiences with the two devices...
    08-26-09 08:34 AM
    This is not a rant. It is simply sharing my experiences so others can make a more informed decision. I am a proud and happy Sprint Curve owner hooked up to my own BPS in the office. I also am a huge gadget freak and MUST have the latest technology. I am a Sprint premier customer and am eligible for an upgrade now (and I believe every year).

I held out getting the Tour until there were today themes and was hoping to wait it out a few months so any production issues were resolved. So last week I went to bestbuy to get my first tour. After 24 hours, I immediately noticed a problem with the trackball (and battery cover) so I swapped it for a new one which seemed to work as designed.

I have been using the new one for a week now and have the following observations to make:

Build - The tour feels much sleeker and looks much cooler. I find it a bit heavier and it doesn't give me the impression that it is as durable/rugged. It is extremely slippery and fingerprint prone though part of that would be resolved when my Verizon door arrives that I ordered on ebay.

Battery Life - My impression is that it is sllghtly worse than the curve. Maybe that is because of the REVA modem or the better screen.

Screen - No doubt the screen is much nicer and sharper. However, that also means many things are much smaller. None of the today themes has fonts that are big enough IMHO.

OS Speed - Everyone is saying the speed is so much better. I am simply not noticing it.

Internet Speed - I know that REVA is better than REV0 but I am simply not noticing a speed increase.

Keyboard - It's different and I can get used to it if needed but I personally like the curve's KB better. Laptopmag agrees. I found pressing the keys on the tour were quieter but the trackball was louder to click.

App Memory - No brainer. I have to worry about the apps I install on the Curve but can go crazy on the Tour. But I have reached a happy compromise on my curve and there isn't really anything that compelling that I need to put on my curve that I can't.

Future-proof - Clearly the curve will be abandoned as it is replaced with newer models. I doubt I will see as much software updates, if any, on the curve. That worries me.

Profiles - the implementation on the tour is terrible IMHO. Even the threads here say that it will be "corrected" and back like the curve's in the next OS release.

Reboots - Takes 5-7 minutes vs. 3 minutes on my curve. When needed on the road, 7 minutes without a phone is way too long.

The GPS doesn't yet work with Google Maps. I am sure that will be fixed soon.

Also, as my wife uses a curve and I have many accessories with the same USB plug, I will now have different ones. But, I ordered some adapters for $1/each from ebay so that is less of a problem.

So, all in all, I am a bit conflicted as I want the newest gadget that will be updated but I think I should wait a little while longer. When the profiles, Google/GPS and maybe better Today themes are available (as well as a new batch of devices where it isn't a crap-shoot if you get a good one), I will consider it again. If that is when the new Tour comes out with Wifi, even better.

I haven't given it back yet but did switch back to the curve for now. Does anyone want to convince me that I am making a mistake?
    No need to convince you of anything. If the curve is a better fit then go with it. No sense in spending money on a phone you don't need. I disagree with some things you mention and also realize that being a new phone there will be some tweaks coming, but this is all personal preference. Be forwarned that no new phone will be perfect in the first month so you may want to wait for a while on the next new phone you opt for.
    08-26-09 08:34 AM
    As I mentioned initially, I was hoping my experiences and observations would be useful for someone else considering a switch with a similar observation. Asking you to convince me otherwise was just a way of encouraging dialogue.

I know I poured through these forums even before I made the switch but I never found the information I provided. I was just being helpful.

I have tried a PIM program on my original curve. I didn't need it. The today themes serve my needs perfectly.

Again, everyone seems to be saying the Tour is so much faster. I am neither noticing that on the OS side or on the Internet side. Maybe I have just had a good experience with my curve or I don't use programs on my curve that slow it down like many others (???).

As for the durability, I see I am not alone. The Tour is slick and VERY "cool" looking (and feeling). I just get the impression that it is not as durable. I also don't like the trackball being recessed and harder to press. The buttons across the top are also prone to fingerprints. But, again, if all else was an improvement (for ME), I would get used to the new design.

You can modify the normal profile (though I believe the in and out of holster options are more restricted than on the curve) but you can't modify or delete any of the other presets. It is an issue that has been discussed in detail in other threads.

To all of you, I agree it is a personal decision. But me, being a gadget freak, find it so hard to believe I would actually prefer a 2-3 year old device over a new "state-of-the-art" one. As I said, when updates are released, it may work better for me.

So, to any others on the fence about using your upgrade now and spending $200 on a Tour: You can see that it is all personal choice. I would always recommend trying it. But, if your observations are similar to mine, you can rest easy knowing there is at least one other person who feels the same way. And then, you will decide if you want to upgrade.
    08-26-09 08:45 AM
    I just find it amusing that people get so defensive about their devices. I went to the tour from the curve, having some GPS issues as well (mostly it says i am in another location then i really am) but my main issue is that i am just not used to it yet.

I do see what you are saying gadgetfreak, about the device not feeling as durable as the curve, but like with anything new it just takes time to acclimate to it.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your review, i am sure people will find it helpful.
    08-26-09 01:49 PM
    For those of you who are monitoring this thread, I added two additional points to my original post regarding vibration and signal strength - both heavily documented in these forums.
    08-26-09 09:29 PM
    I am confused as to why you stated that the GPS does not work with google maps yet?

it does to! I used it more then once already and it works fine maybe you didnt install the right version.
    08-26-09 09:34 PM
    Isn't the GPS issue and profile issue mainly a Sprint issue.

08-26-09 09:50 PM
    I am very grateful to read this thread. Presently I am a Samsung Instinct owner who upgraded from the HTC Mogul (6800) last year. While the media capabilities on the Instinct are great and overall for my needs it's better than the Mogul I need something more business grade and have been torn between the Palm Pre and the BB Tour.
    These threads help me gauge which is a better choice for me, the Pre or the Tour. As of right now I'm leaning on the Tour because it just works as expected more often than the Pre. I love the idea of homebrew, but for me the phone is for work 1st and fun second.
    08-26-09 10:01 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD