I was thinking of getting that Autostandby application. It says that it saves battery by being in standby more often. And I read posts that using standby more often saves battery.

However, the phone still rings, text messages still come in with alerts. I guess that pushed content still comes in, emails are still being automatically checked.

How does standby save power? It seems to me it's the exact same thing as just not touching your phone for a while.
    08-06-09 08:28 AM
    Good point
    10 char
    08-06-09 09:38 AM
    I have been wondering the same thing myself. I do know that it saves quite a bit of power though.
    08-06-09 09:39 AM
    How do you know?
    08-06-09 09:41 AM
    When I first got my curve I never used standby and my battery would last about a day. After a month or so I got into the habit of ALWAYS using standby manually and then my batter would last me about a day and half. Same thing with my tour.
    08-06-09 09:43 AM
    It just stops the screen from coming on when one of the keys is pressed, like in your pocket. That's where the battery savings comes from mainly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 09:59 AM
    Seriously? What is that, like once or twice a day for most people? That is barely worth the trouble of thinking about.

So if mine is usually just sitting a table somewhere then the Autostandby app would not be useful it sounds like.
    08-06-09 10:12 AM
    I have an autostandby app that's free. Its called my finger pressing the standby button

08-06-09 10:18 AM
    08-06-09 10:19 AM
    08-06-09 10:19 AM
    I have an autostandby app that's free. Its called my finger pressing the standby button

Sweet! Could you come over and put mine on standby now please?

Actually, on second thought I'm not sure where that finger has been.

EDIT: J/K in case it wasn't obvious!
    Last edited by BVR; 08-06-09 at 11:04 AM.
    08-06-09 10:34 AM
    How does standby save power? It seems to me it's the exact same thing as just not touching your phone for a while.
    I believe standby is useful in the case where you pocket your phone instead of using your holster, as while in your pocket, you may accidently hit buttons and screen will light up all the time thus consuming battery, also prevent you from accidentally dialing if not on lock mode. There may be other benefits also.
    Last edited by GG1; 08-06-09 at 11:07 AM.
    08-06-09 11:01 AM
    Again, that seems like it would only happen a couple times a day. I don't think standby is a useful feature. Nobody really knows what it does. On all the threads I read everyone is like 'I think it puts it into a power-saving mode' or 'I think there are battery saving benefits' or 'standby puts the phone to sleep so that it doesn't use the battery.' But that's not the case. Apparently the only thing it does is keep the screen off when the keyboard is hit. How big of a benefit is that really?
    08-06-09 11:06 AM
    I'm wondering how its different from just locking the keyboard? The only difference I can see is I push a different button.
    08-06-09 11:09 AM

hahahahahahaha
    08-06-09 11:10 AM
    I don't like how standby takes like 6 seconds to enter-although the effect is nice, and it looks great at night...RIM needs to bring back the "screen off" option that I had on my 8830...if you had an 8800 device you'll agree I'm sure...with that phone, instead of having a keyboard lock button on top, one click would dim/brighten your screen, and a second click would turn it off. The other key would power the phone off/on or put it in standby. Idk why rim decided to put a lock key up there in stead, but IMHO, the screen brightbness/dim OR OFF key was PERFECT...I kinda miss it

08-06-09 11:17 AM
    Agreed, especially when you can lock it by just holding down *
    08-06-09 11:19 AM
    where the **** is the standby button?
    08-06-09 11:23 AM
    The mute key.
    08-06-09 12:16 PM
    It's the button on the top right of the phone. The left one is for locking the phone.
    08-06-09 12:16 PM
    I'm wondering how its different from just locking the keyboard? The only difference I can see is I push a different button.
    The difference is when you lock the keyboard then any key will turn your backlight on. When you put it in standby, the only keys that will turn on the backlight are the talk, blackberry, back, and end button.

All I do is carry mine in my pocket and like I said earlier...it gives me an extra 1/2 day usually.
    08-06-09 12:29 PM
    Again, that seems like it would only happen a couple times a day. I don't think standby is a useful feature. Nobody really knows what it does. On all the threads I read everyone is like 'I think it puts it into a power-saving mode' or 'I think there are battery saving benefits' or 'standby puts the phone to sleep so that it doesn't use the battery.' But that's not the case. Apparently the only thing it does is keep the screen off when the keyboard is hit. How big of a benefit is that really?
    So people are saying that "I think..." but are not sure, yet you just said that "Apparently..." - I mean it seems you do not know a concrete answer either, so how can you say "but that's not the case" - I don't understand.

Without solid technical specifications from RIM about exactly what standby mode does, we are all postulating.

My **theory**:

Standby shuts down non-critical functions of the BlackBerry, such as the screen and keyboard. Having the screen and keyboard "out of commission" saves on battery life as the OS need not be "awake" in those areas to await keyboard input from the QWERTY keys and the screen need not be "awake" to update it's information such as current time, icons, indicators, signal bars, etc.
    08-06-09 12:34 PM
    ^^Yeah, good point. I am in the same boat as everyone else.

Also, what you say makes perfect sense and I'll go with that. Instead of being on the ready to update the time, temp if you have it, and indicators it must just take a millisecond upon waking up to just pop everything in.
    08-06-09 12:38 PM
    It may be a big benefit if u dont really use holsters ie. most females. They just stuff it in their purses and it constantly stays on or dials numbers. Its not always about you buddy!!! Just kidding. Have a good day.
    08-06-09 01:04 PM
    The difference is when you lock the keyboard then any key will turn your backlight on. When you put it in standby, the only keys that will turn on the backlight are the talk, blackberry, back, and end button.

All I do is carry mine in my pocket and like I said earlier...it gives me an extra 1/2 day usually.

Exactly. Precisely what he said.
    08-08-09 07:02 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD