So I've had my Tour for a few months now and why do I feel like it's just a regular phone? The apps are slow and for some reason I thought I'd just love this thing when I got it. What am I missing?
    01-19-10 04:14 PM
    Its a old blackberry that is why. Get a newer model like the Bold 9700, sorry to say this but it is. Either get what i mentioned or get the tour2 once its released.
    Last edited by NintendoLinky; 01-19-10 at 05:32 PM.
    01-19-10 04:35 PM
    Maybe its because it really doesn't do that much more than your old phone and your daily use didn't warrant an upgrade. You might be having a bit of buyers remorse....wondering why you extended your contract or why you paid full retail for a device that doesn't bring anything noticeably different than what you had. I struggled with upgrading my 8900 to the 9700.It was more of a want than a need.
    01-19-10 04:40 PM
    So I've had my Tour for a few months now and why do I feel like it's just a regular phone? The apps are slow and for some reason I thought I'd just love this thing when I got it. What am I missing?
    are you using it as a regular phone? I had a regular phone before - a Samsung Spex that didn't do jacksh*t. Now my bb pushes 3 emails to me and provides me web access. Maybe you just aren't using it to its fullest extent (more phone than you need)?
    01-19-10 04:44 PM
    Its a old blackberry that is why. Get a newer model like the Bold 9700, sorry to say this but it is. Either get what E mentioned or get the tour2 once its released.
    It's not old. It's only been out about 4 months longer than the 9700. If the OP has VZW, the only newer one available is the Storm 2. VZW doesn't sell the 9700, since it's a GSM device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-10 04:49 PM
    it looks like he used to have a curve before the tour.. i would think that coming from a curve, you'd really like the tour. im sorry that you dont because its a much superior phone compared to the older curve. maybe you're just not using it like its supposed to be used?

did you upgrade the OS? off-the-bat, i would think that you'd be impressed with the much better screen resolution, faster processor, more memory, etc..
    01-19-10 04:49 PM
    I came from a Curve to my Tour and just love it... Also have a Storm2 as a backup.. All the new phones coming out are all well and good what with better browsers and such but I'm more into being able to communicate than watch youtube videos.. Just my thoughts

01-19-10 05:11 PM
    I felt the same way when I got my Tour.

For a long time I used Troes... when I upgraded from a dumb phone to a smart phone I was really impressed (IM style threaded texting was amazing). Not so much with the subsequent Treo upgrades- they were nice to have, but ehhh.

The same thing happened with my first Blackberry... push email and BBM were great (although the browsing and texting were kinda buzz-kills compared to the Treos). Upgrades have not provided the same excitement.

I think the only way I will be in awe of another Blackberry is if they completely revamp their OS, but since that isn't really necessary I don't see it happening. If my work didn't pay for my phone I'm pretty sure I would have ditched Blackberry for an iPhone or Pre... probably a Pre since my work introduced me to Sprint and they have been great. They both have way cooler operating systems.
    . You must have missed the memo that went out, or you're not abusing you're tour correctly, this smartphone can run circles around a palm unit and the i-flop. Download a leaked os and a hybrid and tweak that tour up, there's so much you can do with a blackberry.

01-19-10 08:42 PM
    Right now it does not matter what blackberry you get there is not much difference other than OS, carrier and a few minor differences in hardware. Current blackberrys are out dated compared to android and iphone. There was a time when people only needed basic email and web browsing. Today its about speed online and offline. We literally expect to carry a laptop, mp3 player, camera and the internet in our pockets. When we buy a new device, we expect to be blown away with all the bells and whistles. Go to any store pick up an android or an iphone there is a big difference in how advanced some features are over any blackberry. Aside from push what real advantage does a blackberry have? Nothing. In fact blackberry is falling behind. Don't get me wrong I plan on sticking with my blackberry 9630 tour till my contract is up. But, know this when I upgrade, I expect a real upgrade a faster more robust feature rich and hardware advanced blackberry. If I don't get that push services and bbm is not enough to hold me back from looking elsewhere.
    01-19-10 09:12 PM
    just go Android, like i plan on doing when contact is up in a year, and you'll be the happiest person on Earth

why? short story: BIS.
    01-19-10 09:16 PM
    It's like the excitement of a Swiss Army Knife. There's an amazing amount of possibilities for use, but how often do those possibilities present themselves? Most people will never need the saw, the corkscrew or the fishhook remover. Since you only use the knife, the scissors and the bottle opener, it seems like you're not using it to its full potential, but if its doing what you need then it doesn't really matter.

If you expected a phone to make your life more exciting, then you're believing the commercials a little too much....
    01-19-10 09:18 PM
    Its a old blackberry that is why. Get a newer model like the Bold 9700, sorry to say this but it is. Either get what i mentioned or get the tour2 once its released.
    its only been out for 6 1/2 months since late July 09 i don't consider that old.
    01-19-10 09:51 PM
    Its old? lol. I this phone is great. I have a lot of apps and games. Movies look great on it too. Have about 800 songs on it. And its my office for the business. With all the shortcuts on the keyboard to navigate it makes it so fast to get where you're going. All around top notch phone in my opinion.

01-20-10 01:23 AM
    it's just a bb man. a bb. not luke skywalker
    01-20-10 08:56 AM
    some, but not all, poeple don't just run out and switch carriers for a phone. that'd be stupid, right?
    01-20-10 08:58 AM
    Yep, the OS is old but very functional and the 9700 is pretty much the same phone as the Tour so changing to that would get me nothing other than higher monthly bills with AT&T.

Before getting a Tour I tried a Palm Pre. I really liked it for the screen, browser and innovative new OS. After about 3 weeks I was asking myself how I was going to use it for everything I needed it to do and the answer was to switch to a Tour. New flashy OS doesn't always equate to productivity. On the other hand, if I didn't need this for business, I would likely use something other than a BB.
    01-20-10 09:58 AM
    After about 3 weeks I was asking myself how I was going to use it for everything I needed it to do and the answer was to switch to a Tour. New flashy OS doesn't always equate to productivity. On the other hand, if I didn't need this for business, I would likely use something other than a BB.
    Exactly, I believe the OP bought the wrong phone.
    01-20-10 01:32 PM
    To all of the people that have replied to my thread:

Thanks very much for your input. A little history should be noted. I didn't pay a dime for the tour as my cousin got it free with her purchase of a Storm and she just gave it to me, so it's not a matter of me paying too much for it and expecting more.

I just updated the OS to the 5.0 version and it seems really nice. I guess in order to put me in awe of the phone, I guess I just have to famialarize myself with some of the available apps that I would use for their intended purpose.

One thing that has me in awe is connecting to my Orb and watching live TV. It was great to watch the Jets-Chargers game live on my phone while on the road. My contract with VZW comes up in July and I will evaluate other phones that may fit my needs a little more, but by then, maybe I will decide that the BB is for me.

Thanks for all of your input and help. Hopefully this thread may help some prospective BB users make a decision.
    01-20-10 03:05 PM
    I think what were lacking is some good apps for our Tour.
    01-20-10 03:40 PM
    So you have an 8330 to compare to? I bet it(Tour) is a disappointment. What exactly were you expecting....hookers and blow?

Seems like you got it for the wrong reasons.
    01-20-10 04:09 PM
    I own a 9700 and don't think the 9630 is a bad device by any means. Between the Tour and Storm2, I would choose the Tour. I REALLY hate the Storm's "Click Touch" crap. But I hate that everyone is bagging on his Tour. He doesn't feel excited by the phone, not hates the Berry, there is a difference. The Tour is a good device, you just have to customize it to your liking. Thats all.
    01-20-10 04:31 PM
    First of all, the Tour is basically the same as the 9700 and it's on a far better network, making it a better product in my opinion (and based on where I live). The 9700 is not all that - it's a high end BB with a keyboard, just like the Tour.

That said, the Tour's beauty is its simplicity. An iPhone is much more fun to use and look at but the Tour is reliable and user-friendly. Can't beat that for a business phone or a highly utilized personal phone.

01-20-10 05:13 PM
    First of all, the Tour is basically the same as the 9700 and it's on a far better network, making it a better product in my opinion (and based on where I live). The 9700 is not all that - it's a high end BB with a keyboard, just like the Tour.

That said, the Tour's beauty is its simplicity. An iPhone is much more fun to use and look at but the Tour is reliable and user-friendly. Can't beat that for a business phone or a highly utilized personal phone.

Good post - Tour (or any BB) is a business-fist device and excels at that. My second phone is a jaibroken iPhone, mostly for wifi and the fun factor
    01-20-10 05:24 PM
    I upgraded from a curve to a tour, and I've been blown away by the tour. The overall speed of the tour in browsing, and when I tether alone is awesome.

But the little things the tour offers like holding down the BB button to bring up the app switcher, the soft touch lock/mute buttons up top, really add to the device experience for me. Also a 3.2 megapixel camera with IS, and the video recorders not too shabby either.

The excellent battery life is awesome too, I got a 2600mah battery, and it lasts a long time, and that's something I despise about iphones, can't swap batterys on the fly.

The games, organizational apps, the themes, OS5 tweaks etc, all combine to make for an awesome combo, all that and incredible call quality makes the BB's the phone for me.

I have yet to play with an android phone, but I've played with the palm pre, a coupe of winmo phones etc, and when I'm done, I'm glad I have my bb, and I'm glad I have a tour.

Cheers
    Last edited by boomerbsg; 01-20-10 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Added camera info
    01-20-10 07:25 PM
    I own a 9700 and don't think the 9630 is a bad device by any means. Between the Tour and Storm2, I would choose the Tour. I REALLY hate the Storm's "Click Touch" crap. But I hate that everyone is bagging on his Tour. He doesn't feel excited by the phone, not hates the Berry, there is a difference. The Tour is a good device, you just have to customize it to your liking. Thats all.

Totally agreed...I started off with the storm one ...it kept freezin and wouldnt connect my calls...so i bought a used tour...At first i thought it was little too i guess masculine for me .. im a tru girl....LIKE I Wasnt that excited at first....but after personalizing it to suit me...like downloaded apps...wallpapers...ringtones...and got my customised faceplate... I m in love with the tour
    01-20-10 09:59 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD