Don't fix what isn't broken ...

I don't want to sit there through fancy animated transitions and have the phone be spending most of its cycles and memory to 'look pretty'. To each their own, of course. But I personally like the OS.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    07-14-09 07:22 AM
    It is impossible to make a device or OS that pleases everyone. There is no point in even trying. What RIM has done is try to expand their base into the consumer market. Blackberry is still a business backed phone and always will be. The consumer market they are going after are business minded consumers who want an efficient and productive device.

Officemax is a business centered store. They arent going to start selling toys and bicycles to meet the needs of some consumers. Some places do try to do that. For instances Walmart. Walmart is a great store with alot to offer for everyone, but when you need to get business done you go to officemax not walmart.

The same analogy can be used for smartphones, when you want business done you go with blackberry. Stop trying to turn blackberry into walmart.
    07-14-09 03:36 PM
    It is impossible to make a device or OS that pleases everyone. There is no point in even trying. What RIM has done is try to expand their base into the consumer market. Blackberry is still a business backed phone and always will be. The consumer market they are going after are business minded consumers who want an efficient and productive device.

Officemax is a business centered store. They arent going to start selling toys and bicycles to meet the needs of some consumers. Some places do try to do that. For instances Walmart. Walmart is a great store with alot to offer for everyone, but when you need to get business done you go to officemax not walmart.

The same analogy can be used for smartphones, when you want business done you go with blackberry. Stop trying to turn blackberry into walmart.
    This makes no sense.
    07-14-09 04:12 PM
    This makes no sense.
    Read it again my student, read it again.
    07-15-09 05:01 AM
    I come from a unix/linux background. Command line over gui please. Maybe I am just dating myself...
    Same here
    10char

i like the looks of the new os on the tour. its pretty nice.
    Last edited by Syco54645; 07-15-09 at 07:03 AM.
    07-15-09 06:58 AM
    To me, doing these two things helped improve the look of the OS drastically:

1. Turn font size to 8 (or 7 if you prefer)
    2. To separate messages and contacts, use "stripes" instead of "lines"

It really makes a world of difference. Now the only thing I wish is that on the Contacts list it would show the picture next to the name if it had one. Oh well, maybe an app will get released to do that.
    07-15-09 07:56 AM
    People who say "I guess they chose functionality over looks" don't get it. Yes, functionality is number one, but looks matter, a lot. If you compare the contacts or texts or anything like that to a newer phone, you'll think the tour was made in 2000. They just need to make it sleek and professional, like the iphone is. Nothing flashy or crazy, just a sleek os.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 08:13 AM
    It is sterile, generic and quite frankly boring.
    Just like most things designed primarily for business use........ Personally, I LOVE the way 4.6.1 looks on my Pearl Flip.
    07-15-09 08:21 AM
    No. The BB OS is NOT dated. They are saying the UI is dated looking. The OS and UI are entirely two different things. The BB OS is very much update and even better than the iPhone's platform, being that it's built upon the latest version of Java, while the iPhone is built upon a BETA version of Linux based software.
    There are so many things wrong with this statement.

First off, the BB OS is NOT built on the latest vesion of Java; a major problem of the BB OS is that it uses an outdated JVM.

Second of all, iPhone is NOT built on Linux, let alone a BETA version of Linux. iPhone is built on iPhone OS, which is based on the same Darwin core that desktop OS X is built on. Darwin has NOTHING to do with Linux, Darwin is an officially certified UNIX platform. And it is DEFINITELY NOT in BETA. It is both SUSv3 and POSIX certified.
    07-15-09 08:28 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD