Alright, so this 9630 is my second BB, I had the 9000 a few months back for a while. Anyways, I REALLY want/need a theme that has the today option because I'm terrible about checking my calendar on a regular basis. However, no matter how many themes I try, EVERY single one lags on the homescreen. It may not be terrible, but it drives me crazy, there is always some lag when moving from icon to icon and usually when switching to the larger menu as well. What's with this? I don't understand why the stock themes are the only ones that don't lag on the homescreen. And it did this with the Bold just as it does with the Tour. I've tried battery pulls, letting the theme settle in for a few days and deleting superfluous apps that I don't use in order to free up some memory, but nothing works and I think it's going to drive me insane. What can i do?
    09-06-09 04:49 PM
    Downloaded a few themes with 0 lag issues. Using the Today+ theme right now and works great. Has to be something with your phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-09 05:48 PM
    i find a hard-reset after an intricate theme install will fix most of the issues...
    09-06-09 05:53 PM
    I paid for a theme I have and the dock lags so much! the free ones I've had are prefect and work very smoothly.
    09-06-09 09:41 PM
    are you guys seriously telling me that you have themes with ZERO lag on the homescreen dock? If so then I'm super jealous, there's nothing wrong with my device, it's brand new and isn't filled with crap. My brand new Bold did the same thing.
    09-06-09 11:26 PM
    TT
    You must be too picky, I have a bunch of stuff downloaded on my tour including three 3rd party themes and no lag. My memory is at 117. Where is yours, you might have a bad phone?

09-06-09 11:57 PM
    are you guys seriously telling me that you have themes with ZERO lag on the homescreen dock? If so then I'm super jealous, there's nothing wrong with my device, it's brand new and isn't filled with crap. My brand new Bold did the same thing.
    Yes..... ZERO lag....it is possible
    09-07-09 06:55 AM
    I don't experience any lag, except when I unlock the phone. During the week I carry it in the leather pouch, but on the weekends I lock it and throw it in my pocket. When I hit unlock, it takes about 3-5 seconds before my phone will react to any input, whether it be from the trackball or a physical keypress.

09-07-09 08:08 AM
    ^I should mention I run a custom theme. I have no lag, except in the one situation described above.

09-07-09 08:09 AM
    It could prob be fixed with an os upgrade. I have the bold. At first my themes lagged but as I upgraded the os to newer versions I noticed my themes lagged less

09-07-09 08:12 AM
    My app memory is at 75.7MB and my current OS version is 4.7.1.40, that's the newest right?
    09-07-09 06:10 PM
    Most of the good themes with animations lag somewhat with 4.7.40 OS , with the leaked OS 5.0.191 they are work much smoother. Night and day difference. I'm running HTC Diamond on .191 and its working perfectly. It was unusable on 4.7.

09-07-09 06:27 PM
    So far every theme I've tried has had some sort of lag on the home screen as well. It bugs me because I'm also trying to find a Today+ theme but they're all laggy.
    09-07-09 06:41 PM
    My app memory is at 75.7MB and my current OS version is 4.7.1.40, that's the newest right?
    That could be part of the problem, man. If you really don't have a lot of other apps on your device like you said before, then your app memory should be much higher than 75.7. Is that what your memory's at right after doing a battery pull or after you've been using it for a while? more importantly, are you running any apps in the background beyond the "big five", or are you closing out of them properly when you're done using them?

09-07-09 07:06 PM
    That could be part of the problem, man. If you really don't have a lot of other apps on your device like you said before, then your app memory should be much higher than 75.7. Is that what your memory's at right after doing a battery pull or after you've been using it for a while? more importantly, are you running any apps in the background beyond the "big five", or are you closing out of them properly when you're done using them?

Very good point. Memory does seem low if not many apps are installed. 8 apps installed + 3 themes and im at 109 (after reboot) and am now at 105mb

Last edited by GG1; 09-07-09 at 07:24 PM.
    09-07-09 07:20 PM
    Yeah bro, I think caferacer808 and gg1 are on to something. it sounds like you're either keeping a lot of apps open or you have a memory leak.
    09-07-09 07:25 PM
    I have a L Precision Today Hidden theme with no lag at all on the home screen at all. I have noticed lag with other themes though so I know what you mean.

09-07-09 07:37 PM
    depending on how the theme is designed, yes you could have some serious lag issues. Starting from icon size, compression, whether the home screen is set to remember what the last icon was selected(mem. use). All those use some sort of memory.

The design has to be clean. The icons must have the tiniest size impact in KB inorder for the themes to work flawlessly. Perhaps you should name all the themes you are using.
    09-07-09 07:48 PM
    Im using the Today Plus theme by enrique and it works flawless on my Tour. The 3G theme also works pretty good.

09-07-09 08:06 PM
    Im using the Today Plus theme by enrique and it works flawless on my Tour. The 3G theme also works pretty good.

that's good!

Let's see what themes ThirstyTurtle is using for the tour.
    09-07-09 08:09 PM
    Alright, here are my installed apps:
    WeatherEye
    Poynt
    Viigo
    AIM
    TwiXtreme
    CB Launcher
    Facebook
    Google Maps
    Gmail

I don't remember who they're by but I'm using either:

CalToday+
    LTheme
    SenselessW

just did a battery pull, right after my memory was at 101.8MB, so maybe I'm leaving some things open?

However, right after the pull, I switched to the SenselessW theme, laggy, then did another battery pull, still laggy, wtf?
    09-07-09 09:33 PM
    also, possibly dumb question, but is there not a way to use some of the memory on my SD card for apps? I mean I have a damn 8gb card, it would be amazing to fill THAT with apps and leave the phone's working memory alone so as to avoid this dumbass lag and memory leaking stuff?
    09-07-09 09:38 PM
    It could prob be fixed with an os upgrade. I have the bold. At first my themes lagged but as I upgraded the os to newer versions I noticed my themes lagged less

This is the right answer. As I've already said in this post. Running the leaked OS solves the theme lag in almost all themes. Everything else in this thread is guessing.

09-07-09 10:03 PM
    I'm using the Momentum Glyde theme... I'm not experiencing any lag at all...

09-07-09 10:29 PM
    However, right after the pull, I switched to the SenselessW theme, laggy, then did another battery pull, still laggy, wtf?
    Is this the one you're talking about? If so, I'm going to run it and see what kind of lag I get, if any...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f148/fr...nction-306225/
    09-07-09 10:34 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD