What's so much better that someone should invest 200-500 dollars on purchasing this new blackberry? Are there really any drastically new features? From what i've read, it's not all that much different. Better screen/software, but otherwise it seems to be the same phone. I was excited for a new blackberry, but as I hear more and more about this phone I am less and less interested in it.

Someone give me some reasons to buy it.
    06-08-09 09:50 AM
    I laugh when people come in the store and ask about this phone and ask about why we don't carry the Blackberry Bold.............when I ask what either phone has that any of our current phones don't, I rarely get an answer. And, the so called "Tour" is nothing more than speculation right now.
    06-08-09 09:53 AM
    a camera

3.5mm jack so you can use regular headphones (without an adapter)

more application memory

software that allows you to use the GPS with 3rd party applications besides VZnav

do you really need to know more? go look for a spec sheet and you can find plenty of reasons. if those dont convince you then stick to your 8830 until it dies and buy whatever is out then.
    06-08-09 09:55 AM
    I laugh when people come in the store and ask about this phone and ask about why we don't carry the Blackberry Bold.............when I ask what either phone has that any of our current phones don't, I rarely get an answer. And, the so called "Tour" is nothing more than speculation right now.
    Typical Carrier Sales mentality...Bet your sales are good......
    06-08-09 10:00 AM
    Heh, what should he say though?

"Hey we don't carry the Bold, therefore you shouldn't buy from us (Verizon) and should buy from AT&T. In fact I recommend your friends and family do the same."
    06-08-09 11:34 AM
    Actually they are great, thanks you!

Let's remember that this website is full of Blackberry enthusiasts, but it makes up a very small percentage of the customers we see every day. 99 percent of our customers have never heard of Crackberry.

The phone that this forum is about, contrary to what you all seem to think, is nothing more than speculation.
    06-08-09 11:36 AM

Let's remember that this website is full of Blackberry enthusiasts, but it makes up a very small percentage of the customers we see every day. 99 percent of our customers have never heard of Crackberry.

The phone that this forum is about, contrary to what you all seem to think, is nothing more than speculation.
    So are you saying that some of the people on this forum make phone calls and check their email on their "speculation" phones? Kinda odd.
    06-08-09 12:04 PM

Does that mean you don't think it's going to happen? Yes or no?
    06-08-09 12:05 PM
    i guess VZW head honcho's statement was just speculation as well. gotta love reps. i got one in NYC. a good friend and he admits that their knowledge is limited. he is a manager in a store and i knew about the launch of the env touch and the bb flip before he did. he laughed and shrugged his shoulders. one thing we both agree VZW is like dealing with the masons. I don't fault the reps but i don't take them as the final word.
    06-08-09 12:12 PM
    speculation huh? you must not get around this site much. there are lots of photos and videos of the phone in the wild. you remind me of the policeman that thinks there are no drugs on his streets because nobody got busted today.

just because YOU have not been told about it...doesn't mean that OTHERS already have it.

to the op...the tour also is smaller than the 8830 and has 3G...repeat 3G.
    06-08-09 12:13 PM
    i guess VZW head honcho's statement was just speculation as well.

His comment was that that there will be a number of new devices released WITHIN THE NEXT SIX MONTHS OR SO, INCLUDING A SECOND GENERATION STORM AND THE PALM PRE.

I did not state the so called "Tour" does not exist, but I do rebut the fact that anyone knows for sure that we are releasing it on any specific date or that we are releasing it period. There's a big difference.
    06-08-09 12:45 PM
    I think the Tour is a bit more than "just speculation" HOWEVER Scott is correct it has NOT been announced by Verizon yet.

Good evidence indicates that the device is in the wild (indisputable evidence), and is being tested by Verizon.
    06-08-09 12:56 PM
    i guess VZW head honcho's statement was just speculation as well. gotta love reps. i got one in NYC. a good friend and he admits that their knowledge is limited. he is a manager in a store and i knew about the launch of the env touch and the bb flip before he did. he laughed and shrugged his shoulders. one thing we both agree VZW is like dealing with the masons. I don't fault the reps but i don't take them as the final word.
    Speaking of Env Touch, do you think it's worth a look? My wife is debating on that vs a Storm...
    06-08-09 01:05 PM
    What's so much better that someone should invest 200-500 dollars on purchasing this new blackberry? Are there really any drastically new features? From what i've read, it's not all that much different. Better screen/software, but otherwise it seems to be the same phone. I was excited for a new blackberry, but as I hear more and more about this phone I am less and less interested in it.

Someone give me some reasons to buy it.
    Because its freakin awesome! That's why!
    06-08-09 01:10 PM
    Does that mean you don't think it's going to happen? Yes or no?

Here are the facts that I've stated before.

We get our training on these type of devices over a month ahead of time. There is no training for any kind of "Tour", "Niagara", "Storm 2, 3, 4, or 5".

Some reps are more informed than others. I teach BB classes twice a month in our store and am actively involved above and beyond with our district data team. There has been no mention of any other BB than the Pearl Flip.

My whole point is readin a lot of these posts, people are under the complete belief that this phone will be offered soon on our network, and nothing could be further from the truth.
    06-08-09 01:16 PM
    Because its freakin awesome! That's why!
    LOL, seconding that!

In all seriousness OP, the Tour is a really big step up from the 8830. We're talking about a gorgeous high-res screen, sweet new OS, 3.2mp camera, MUCH MUCH faster processor, best browser on any BB. IMO, I think it's worth upgrading to.

I mean, if all those bells & whistles aren't worth it to ya, then just keep the 8830 until it croaks (THEN upgrade )
    Last edited by ChaosShadow; 06-08-09 at 01:24 PM.
    06-08-09 01:20 PM
    Speaking of Env Touch, do you think it's worth a look? My wife is debating on that vs a Storm...
    Two very different phones
    06-08-09 01:21 PM
    Yeah, she does light email/texting and some web browsing as well. Not a heavy user by any means.
    06-08-09 01:34 PM
    Just because you don't know about VZW carrying this device doesn't mean Big Red won't carry it. Soon enough the info will trickle down to you and you will understand.

But if you're just stating that VZW hasn't 'Officially' announced it, then yes you are correct.
    06-08-09 01:51 PM

We get our training on these type of devices over a month ahead of time. There is no training for any kind of "Tour", "Niagara", "Storm 2, 3, 4, or 5".

Some reps are more informed than others. I teach BB classes twice a month in our store and am actively involved above and beyond with our district data team. There has been no mention of any other BB than the Pearl Flip.

My whole point is readin a lot of these posts, people are under the complete belief that this phone will be offered soon on our network, and nothing could be further from the truth.
    Scott,
    No offense, but you're a rep in a store. They don't get told everything all the time, and there are leaks from people in much higher positions in both RIM and Verizon that are saying that it will come out in mid-July. Just because they're not telling you doesn't mean they're not telling everyone.
    06-08-09 02:02 PM
    would you like to place a wager on that? i say it comes out within the next 60 days.... in fact, i would even say the week of july 13th
    06-08-09 02:09 PM

In case you haven't noticed we are still over a month away from the speculated release date.
    06-08-09 02:47 PM
    Wow... this thread just went WAAY off topic.

I don't think OP cares so much about WHEN the Tour will be released. He (or She) asked WHY they should get this berry.

So... with that in mind...

OP - Another improvement from the 8830 to the Tour is the keyboard. It's "similar" to your phone as far as layout, but the shape of the keys is similar to the Bold, which, from what I've heard is THE best keyboard to type on.
    06-08-09 03:06 PM
    When messing with the Bold, I always felt the keys were spaced just a BIT too far apart... but the Curve was way too cramped. I think the 9630 will be a perfect blend!
    06-08-09 03:13 PM
    ScottRPriester:

You sound bitter, almost like your upset that your out of the loop. We have a regional rep at the store by my house that specifically mentioned the phone, mentioned it was coming mid july and when i asked about training he said it is coming. My wife works at the store, shes made phone calls, ive made phone calls (i was in the business before becoming an officer). Your right that its part speculation, but when the storm was released her store was notified that they would be able to sell the phone only 3 days prior to when it went on sale. The techs only had 2 weeks of training and the shipment came in only a week prior. So things happen quickly when verizon wants it to.

to the original poster, ive had the world edition before>, curve and storm , i own all of them still and a pearl from att. The tour is a mini version of a bold with slightly lower specs, but the layout is great, the memory for available application is great- something that the world edition does run out of if you use it intensive. Theres a camera on this edition, someone did mention a better headphone adapter. The screen for viewing documents , emails and the web/video will be better. Performance of applications will be so much better.

Honestly its a world of a difference between phones. Ive used a bold and the world edition in the same day and the difference is night and day.

I hope any of this info helps
    06-08-09 04:34 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD