I'm one of the many waiting to make the 9630 their first BB, but the fact that it hasn't been officially announced yet is a little annoying. I know a lot of people on this board have talked about getting an 8330 to hold them over until the Tour comes out, but as I was looking for a price on the 8330, I noticed the cheapest you could get it for was like $100 which is still pretty pricy if you're basically getting a phone for a couple of months max.

Is that what people mean by getting an 8330 to hold them over, getting it for like a hundred? Or am I missing a much cheapter alternative?
    05-24-09 07:33 PM
    Yes that is what they mean. Get it for a couple of months and then sell (if you'd like the cash for the new device).
    05-24-09 07:36 PM
    Most definitely. There's no reason you can't buy one and then just sell it later. I'd check out ebay.
    05-24-09 07:43 PM
    I was going back and forth with that same idea, just like many other members. However, I finally decided to just wait it out. I currently have a Helio Ocean and, after A LOT of research, the 9630 will be my next phone. I am currently about in the middle of my contract with Helio, but my circumstances are such that they agreed to waive the $175 ETF (and in writing), so that's money that I can, and will, use towards the 9630.
    05-24-09 07:45 PM
    Gotcha. Thanks guys.

Do you think the market for the 8330 will be okay after the Tour comes out?

I really need a new phone right now, and I'd like a Blackberry, but I don't want to waste my upgrade on an 8330 with the Tour right around the corner.
    05-24-09 07:45 PM
    This was my plan as well. I've had a WTB thread up at my local Buy/Sell site for 3 weeks looking for one, with no responses.

eBay? Well...

I'd love to put a WTB thread up here at Crackberry but I have to have 100 posts!! I guess being around for 14 months isn't good enough.

No, the market for the 8330 will definitely weaken after the Tour comes out. If you buy one now for $125 (I haven't seen a huge number of them selling at $100, not sure where you're looking), it'll be worth what... maybe $75? Still, for 3 months that's not a bad rental rate.
    Last edited by mset; 05-24-09 at 07:49 PM.
    05-24-09 07:46 PM
    The truth is getting one at 100 bucks you will easily be able to sell it around the same price..

Its a good device and people still use it and like it..
    05-25-09 03:19 AM
    The 8830 holds its value well. I still use one as my work Berry and its was really the first BB to be a world device. Lack of camera hurts a lil but at least you can say you have the same phone as OBAMA! I would say you will get what you paid for it and have a nice device to use till the tour drops.
    05-25-09 07:55 AM
    The 8830 holds its value well. I still use one as my work Berry and its was really the first BB to be a world device. Lack of camera hurts a lil but at least you can say you have the same phone as OBAMA! I would say you will get what you paid for it and have a nice device to use till the tour drops.
    I think the only reason the 8830 still sells well is because it is a Worldphone. From what I've been told the 9530 is CDMA/GSM, and the Tour will be a world phone so I think the 8830 will pretty much cease to sell, or the prices will go waaaayyyy down.

And as for the OP, I would honestly just wait. Unless you really can't stand the current phone you have. Or at least wait until they give you a release date.
    05-25-09 01:28 PM

I bought an 8830 from Ebay for $55 including shipping. I only plan on using it till the tour drops and then I will either get the tour or simply wait until my contract expires(Dec. 2009) and then weigh my options. For me the camera is a non issue as I have only taken about 12 photos in the past year and a half with my Voyager.

I saw 8830s selling on ebay for around 60 dollars including shipping all weekend.
    05-25-09 04:43 PM
    If you wanted to get an 8330 a couple months ago, I would have agreed that you should get one then off e-bay or something, but with the tour so close (July, hopefully) I would just wait, especially if it's your first one and aren't completely addicted yet
    05-25-09 08:40 PM
    if your on VZW you dont have to wait until your contract is up its 4 months before your contract is up to upgrade i see this on every post and i wanna scream
    05-25-09 09:13 PM
    if your on VZW you dont have to wait until your contract is up its 4 months before your contract is up to upgrade i see this on every post and i wanna scream
    I am aware that the NE2 upgrade is 4mos prior to the end of my contract. My NE2 is july 31st and I am definately stepping up to a blackberry, but if there is a shortage of tours or if there is an inherent problem with them like the storm then I will ride out my contract and either go to another carrier or wait till VZW has a blackberry that I want. I wanted a Blackberry immediately so I looked at 8330 curves on ebay. They were all around 150, so I checked out the 8830WE and found them selling for around 60. So I bought the 8830WE since I only plan on using it for 2 months and then I will either sell it for 40-50 bucks or keep it as a backup phone.
    05-25-09 10:14 PM
    I am aware that the NE2 upgrade is 4mos prior to the end of my contract. My NE2 is july 31st and I am definately stepping up to a blackberry, but if there is a shortage of tours or if there is an inherent problem with them like the storm then I will ride out my contract and either go to another carrier or wait till VZW has a blackberry that I want. I wanted a Blackberry immediately so I looked at 8330 curves on ebay. They were all around 150, so I checked out the 8830WE and found them selling for around 60. So I bought the 8830WE since I only plan on using it for 2 months and then I will either sell it for 40-50 bucks or keep it as a backup phone.

I am almost positive that the tour is going to be a overall smoother release of a device..

None the less if phones are a major issue in your book maybe verizon isn't for you. I feel verizon service is fantastic in my area and if at&t steps up there ballgame in my area I would look into it...

but I truly think the tour is going to be better. Even looking at early software - the tour seems to run smoother then the storm....

I do like my storm of course as well.. but I can't deny how zippy the tour looks.
    05-25-09 10:46 PM
    I am almost positive that the tour is going to be a overall smoother release of a device..

None the less if phones are a major issue in your book maybe verizon isn't for you. I feel verizon service is fantastic in my area and if at&t steps up there ballgame in my area I would look into it...

but I truly think the tour is going to be better. Even looking at early software - the tour seems to run smoother then the storm....

I do like my storm of course as well.. but I can't deny how zippy the tour looks.

Ive been with Verizon for over 9 years now. The phone is not an issue either, but lets say the release is pushed back 2 mos. I will already have a blackberry in my hands to hold me over.I have been itching to upgrade my phone for over a month now and the wait for an unconfirmed release date is driving me nuts. I am merely putting myself in a position to be content till the Tour is released.
    05-25-09 11:43 PM
    Ive been with Verizon for over 9 years now. The phone is not an issue either, but lets say the release is pushed back 2 mos. I will already have a blackberry in my hands to hold me over.I have been itching to upgrade my phone for over a month now and the wait for an unconfirmed release date is driving me nuts. I am merely putting myself in a position to be content till the Tour is released.

ya I mean really so much information is out for it now that a release is kind of almost guarenteed now it might not be right on july 13th.. But its a good possibility that its not to far off.

Verizon just released some other phone recently that they didn't even really announce until a couple days before launch so

and look how close at&t cut it on announcing the 8900

I think the concern of getting a actual release date announced is sometimes a little over rated...

I am sure we will all be happy soon
    05-25-09 11:49 PM
    Not sure if this has been said yet (didnt read through the entire thread) but another option would be to wait until the middle of June (if you can wait just another 2 more weeks) and get a new 8330 with your upgrade and then return it within 30 days once the Tour comes out. This is kinda a gamble since we dont know officially when it will be out, but I keep hearing July 13th to 17th, so if you got a Curve 30 days before July 17th you could get a new Curve and then just trade for the Tour. Since you are VIP they will waive the restocking fee
    05-26-09 12:52 AM
    Yes that is what they mean. Get it for a couple of months and then sell (if you'd like the cash for the new device).
    The OP is right though, why pay $100 for a month or two + the data plan you WILL need with a BB, to just turn around and get another one? I had my curve for quite some time before jumping over to the storm. On the other hand, you are also right Duvi, he can just sell it (wish I could sell my curve for more than $20!).
    05-26-09 07:59 AM
    Not sure if this has been said yet (didnt read through the entire thread) but another option would be to wait until the middle of June (if you can wait just another 2 more weeks) and get a new 8330 with your upgrade and then return it within 30 days once the Tour comes out. This is kinda a gamble since we dont know officially when it will be out, but I keep hearing July 13th to 17th, so if you got a Curve 30 days before July 17th you could get a new Curve and then just trade for the Tour. Since you are VIP they will waive the restocking fee
    Will that even work? I know they have the 30 day policy, but isn't that a little suspicious?
    05-26-09 08:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD