I had a launch day Tour that the trackball went out on. My local VZW did not have any refurbs so they gave me a new one. All was well until I opened Pandora up and went to plug in the auxillary jack to play it in the car. I gotta go pick up an adapter which is no big deal, but when did they make the switch?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-09 10:38 AM
    Are you sure? I have just received a replacement device in the mail, and mine is still a standard headphone jack...
    10-25-09 10:39 AM
    Same here...have had all kinds of Tours since day 1 release and its always been a regular headphone jack...
    10-25-09 11:00 AM
    I've tried the auxillary adapters in both my vehicles as well as my earbuds. None of them fit in my. Tour

10-25-09 11:01 AM
    Try looking in the jack to make sure there isnt anything stuck in there, because I have not seen nor read anything about the headphone jack changing size.
    10-25-09 11:04 AM
    From all accounts, the newer Tours don't actually have a 2.5mm jack. Rather, they seem to have smaller 3.5mm jacks than the first ones. I realize that this defies mathematics, but it is the only conclusion I can come to. I bought a 3.5mm Blackberry Premier headset that I absolutely loved. I've always found the standard issue headsets to be very uncomfortable; they are too large and cumbersome to fit in my ears. I had no trouble using the Premier headset with my old Tour. But when I received the brand new replacement Tour, the Premier headset would no longer fit. I almost damaged the phone trying. But the standard 3.5 mm headset that came with my old Tour works just fine in the new Tour, as do most regular 3.5mm stereo earphones that I've tried. I still can't use the Premier headset though.

The conclusion? Really weird, but apparently there is more than one way to construct a 3.5mm jack. I am afraid that if you buy a 2.5mm jack adapter, you will find that it will not work. Just to test my theory, I've tried inserting the 2.5mm adaptor that I used with my 8830 World Edition. It doesn't fit in the Tour's 3.5mm jack. Je suis desolee....
    Last edited by Barredbard; 10-25-09 at 11:15 AM.
    10-25-09 11:08 AM
    When I first wanted to use Slacker I ran into the same problem.

Strangest thing is, I had to use the OEM headphones that came with the Tour first and they fit, and then afterward I could use any set I wanted to, but the same set would not work prior to using the included headphones.

10-25-09 11:09 AM
    I have noticed this too, alas it is a 3.5mm there is just a weird piece of metal in there that i needed to bend carefully to get it to fit. just carefully wiggle it when you put it in and it should work.
    10-25-09 11:21 AM
    I see the little metal tab. I will try my headphones agang and see if I can get them to fit

Edit: SUCCESS!!!!!! I took a small screwdriver and pressed the metal tab down a little and now my headphones fit. Thanks for the help guys.
    Last edited by Chris2183; 10-25-09 at 11:50 AM.
    10-25-09 11:38 AM
    Its a tight 3.5 jack, you got to break it in...

10-25-09 12:06 PM
    Edit: SUCCESS!!!!!! I took a small screwdriver and pressed the metal tab down a little and now my headphones fit. Thanks for the help guys.

I had the same problem yesterday and this fixed it. Be careful to not force your 3.5mm cable into the jack or you will tear it up, like I did.
    10-25-09 12:11 PM
    I also have problems with my headphone jacks. Some devices work and some don't. My headphones will go in and out of working constantly. I don't use them that much so I haven't taken it back for replacement but I guess I should. I HATE dealing with Verizon customer support. Maybe I should call instead.
    10-25-09 01:34 PM
    I had the same problem. I got my Tour in early September and it had the same issue. It actually burned out my headphones and my aux cable in my car. Seems it burned out the shielding, and I tried using different mp3 players and got the same problem, so it wasn't just the phone acting weird.

Took it back up to best buy and got a new one three weeks ago, this one is steller.

Wish I would have known about the little metal piece at the time, hehe. Just hope it doesn't destroy your headphones
    10-25-09 01:59 PM
    Im glad I read this since I almost went out and bought a 2.5mm adapter.
    10-25-09 07:08 PM
    Just realized its the same with mine. Guess I'll try the metal bending technique

10-25-09 09:52 PM
    Thank you so much for this fix!!!!!!! Every headphone I own fit into the jack except for my Bose headphones that I always use!!!!! Now with this fix I can!!!! THANK YOU SO FREAKING MUCH!!!!
    10-25-09 11:30 PM
    When I had my Tour, I had to have it replaced and mine was still the 3.5. Interesting....someone messed up obviously!!
    10-25-09 11:52 PM
    I thought I was the only person having this problem. Glad to see I did the same fix everyone else did before I ever read this post. I guess if I have another issue with it ill take it back to Sprint and have it replaced.

10-26-09 05:53 AM
    Taking my tour back today. After my post I attempted to insert the aux jack. Needless to say the aux port is busted now. Downgrading the OS to the official version and heading to sprint tonight

10-26-09 12:01 PM
    Today was the first day i was goign to use headphones on my phone walking around school. Took out my normal ipod earphones and they didnt fit

Ill have to try that metal tab and see if that will work
    10-26-09 01:21 PM
    Taking my tour back today. After my post I attempted to insert the aux jack. Needless to say the aux port is busted now. Downgrading the OS to the official version and heading to sprint tonight

hahah OMG the same damn thing happened to me! Last night I tried to get a standard 3.5mm headphone plug into the jack and it busted out the tiny little tab just inside the entrance of the jack. The mic on the 4-pin headset that comes with the phone stopped working.

So I took it back, said, "Umm.. just got this phone, can't make the headset work." They looked it over, tested a couple headsets and finally said, "It looks like your phone is the problem, not the headset." Really? ehehe. So they gave me a new phone.

It's the tiny little tab that makes contact with the 4th (mic) ring of the headset that causes the problem. Honestly it's a terrible design. The edge of the tab gets caught on a standard size 3.5mm plug (not the 3.4999mm plug that's on the headset that comes with the phone) and if you force it in (as I did) it will rip that tab off and you won't be able to use a mic'ed headset.

Messed up man!
    10-26-09 01:32 PM
    I had a launch day Tour that the trackball went out on. My local VZW did not have any refurbs so they gave me a new one. All was well until I opened Pandora up and went to plug in the auxillary jack to play it in the car. I gotta go pick up an adapter which is no big deal, but when did they make the switch?

They didn't. It is a 3.5mm jack. Mine is and I checked the specs online.
    If yours is a 2.5 I would take it back.
    10-26-09 01:40 PM
    All Tours come with a 3.5mm jack. Not sure why you guys are saying there 2.5mm but there not. All new Blackberry Modles including the Tour all come with a 3.5mm jack.
    10-26-09 02:17 PM
    bud, you didn't read carefully. We aren't saying they're 2.5. We're saying that a small tab is preventing standard 3.5mm plugs from going in.
    10-26-09 02:22 PM
    Strangely, it seems that my new Tour doesn't have the same problem as the old one with letting 3.5s in. I don't know what the deal was with the old one. There's not much tolerance with that tiny tab near the entrance. Bending it 1000th of an inch inward would be enough to cause slightly larger plugs to catch on it and bend it farther in, closing off the jack hole even more.
    10-27-09 01:05 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD