Well I have my NE2 coming up in 5 days. Obviously the next step up as far as Blackberry's would be the 9650, however, I'm wondering if I should hang onto my 9630 for a few month months and hope RIM comes out with something better or switch to a Droid 2? Right now the 9630 and 9650 are the same phone internals wise...yes I know 9650 has wifi and 512mb memory but until it gets OS6 (who knows how long that will be?) that doesn't really matter as I still have plenty of memory left on my Tour.

My main concern with the 9650 is that it's using 2yr old technology already so in another year to year and a half it's going to be looking mighty old compared to everything else. What you guys planning?
    08-16-10 12:45 PM
    Droid 2 is looking pretty tempting, that's for sure. I won't be upgrading to the Bold. I might be able to hang on to the Tour until Q1 when the Storm 3 is allegedly set to come out. Depends on when they release OS6 and a different device from the Bold to run it on, as well as how long I can resist switching to Droid if RIM doesn't hurry up and step up their game....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 01:21 PM
    Well not to bash Android but I can say that I've been there, done that.
    Don't dislike the Droid and they do have some cool features but after using one for a couple of months and returning to my Berry I realized how much i missed it.
    So.. long story short I like the 9650 but I'm going to wait to see what the next device from Blackberry (with a keyboard) is going to be.. wake me up in 2011..
    08-16-10 01:32 PM
    I think the Bold 9650 is to Tour users what the Droid 2 is to Droid 1 users. It's a simple upgrade with more memory, better access - trackpad for Tour, keyboard for Droid, and features - wifi for the Tour, keyboard alignment for the Droid. But when comparing the meat of both phones, if you have an earlier version, it's debatable whether you want to spring an ugprade and lock yourself into a 1-2 year contract just to have the enhanced features. It's still basically the same phone. It's like buying the new model of your car at new car prices just because the new car has built-in navigation and a sleeker design. Everything else is the same. It makes sense to go Bold 9650 if you're very comfortable with the Tour and just want the added features.

When I played with the Torch in ATT store, I walked away not disappointed any more that it wasn't coming to Verizon. I didn't like the typing on the keyboard. It felt like I was typing on a cheap piece of metal or plastic. I wasn't too fond of the Droid 2 keyboard either. I don't like the feel of the keys. When I did a comparison of Bolt Browser on my Tour to the Web Kit Browser on the Torch, there wasn't much difference in the appearance. WKB gives you pinch and zoom, but Bolt is a pretty good alternative if you can't get the Web Kit Browser. It still a small screen on the Bold 9650, however. Go use Bolt Browser on your Tour to get an idea of how Web Kit will be. You'll likely want the bigger screen. With the Torch, we got the bigger screen.

So, I am not really sure what I am upgrading to. I'd like to check out the Storm 3. But right now, I am leaning towards Droid something. I have annual now, NE2 in March, so I'll likely wait to see what comes out in the fall and Q1 next year. One reservation I have with staying loyal to BlackBerry is that I have noticed a trend devloping of new BB phones coming out and having all kinds of shortcomings and not doing as advertised. As that old saying goes, what good does the benefits do me if I can't get the phone to work? I backed off the Storm 1 because of the CB members complaints on it. Bought the Tour, which was supposed to be a great device, and it didn't even last 9 months before I was forced to replace it! Now, I am reading complaints in the forums that the Torch doesn't do as advertised.

The only line of BlackBerrys that seem to have little to no problems is the Bold series. So, the Bold 9650 may be a good choice if you're staying with BlackBerry. But if you want a bigger screen, a nicer interface to browse the internet and watch movies and play with exciting apps (like scheduling your DVR on your cable, renting movies at Redbox, etc.), I think Droid may be a better option.
    08-16-10 02:38 PM
    Android phones are only good if your life is already fused with google. They sync well and anyone that uses anything else, well you have to convert. That is why I got rid of my droid. I loved the phone, it was fast, great apps and it was a sturdy device...BUT the openess of the Apps mean they get a TON of updates. The darn thing kept beeping, and updating like a gigababy!!! Not to mention they really are high end toys no real use for adults.
    Now what to do...as a current blackberry user, I would stay wait and see what comes next. I like the torch, but not enough for AT&T. Good luck
    08-16-10 03:37 PM
    i be upgrading to the evo so as i can
    08-16-10 05:00 PM
    my due date isn't till march 2011 =( but I think I might get the Windows 7 phone
    08-17-10 01:36 PM
    I think CDMA will get its own version of the 9800 pretty soon, I might get one of those
    08-17-10 02:12 PM
    I just ordered the Droid X yesterday. I've loved the year I've been with Blackberry (minus the trackball that randomly stops moving for a couple days at a time), but since I'm no longer using the phone for business, I was looking for something with a few more bells and whistles. As a business phone, I'd go back to Blackberry in a heartbeat, but I'm growing really tired of their hardware and software being waaay behind the competition is almost every aspect. We'll see how I like the Droid X, it should be here by the end of the month.
    08-17-10 02:14 PM
    i'm not willing to spend $99 on a Bold. It's not much of an upgrade (IMO) from the 9630. i'm waiting for Storm 3 or 4.

08-17-10 05:29 PM
    IMO, the Bold is not worth it. My upgrade is coming up too, & I've been strongly debating whether or not to switch to AT&T, because Verizon's phone selection has been slipping. Personally, I don't see any phone worth upgrading to from the Tour, since I'd rather stay a Blackberry user..
    08-17-10 05:37 PM
    Hold it out for a bit without a contract and see whats out there in a few months or switch to sprint then
    08-17-10 06:44 PM
    I think I am going to the Droid2. From what I hear it handles email and texting pretty well.
    08-17-10 07:54 PM
    Looking at a Torch, possibly in September.
    08-17-10 08:17 PM
    Gotta say I didn't mind the 9630. Could NOT stand the trackball. 2 FRUs & counting. Don't really need the push email & this web browser sucks. I've already placed an order for a Droid X. Wished I wouldn't have had such a poorly designed 9630 with it's defective trackball. I really tried to like this crackberry. Oh Well.

08-17-10 08:25 PM
    I think, for people who would love their Tour sans trackball, battery cover, screen ripple, muffled sound, and memory leak issues, would really like the Bold even though its not much of an upgrade. People that are jumping to Droid probably wouldn't like their Tour much even if it were perfect. People want different things from their phones and the ones moving to Droid are looking for a better fit IMO. There is a thread in the 9650 forum about those that tried a Droid or iPhone and found that they missed the BlackBerry experience, and came back to the 9650.

08-18-10 12:04 AM
    I am OK with Tour, I am just sick of Sprint and its coverage outside a large metro area. Out of contract, and since Sprint is raising the price on my plan by $10 I decided to cut ties with it and join the Big Red (family plan). I probably will go for Droid 2, despite not looking forward to losing all the apps and accessories for the Tour... I think at this point the Droid is way superior to the Tour in terms of browsing/multimedia capabilities and the gap is narrower re. handling e-mail than it's ever been. I am not fond of the Tour keyboard, the keys aren't well spaced out as they were on the Treo I used to own - IMHO the Droid 2 KB is no worse than Tour's. My primary e-mail is gmail and I have yahoo pop service, the rest is MSExchange.
    08-18-10 11:15 AM
    man if the tour had wifi i really wouldnt care about os 6 and upgrading to the bold, feels like im screwing myself by doing that
    08-25-10 11:41 AM
    see now i heard if u own a BB and go straight to an ANDROID it will take sum time to get used to the OS on an adroid. thats what a REP told me but u know it goes when u talk to those guys
    08-25-10 12:00 PM
    I have played with the Droids some family members are using, and it seems to me that people with any sort of technological abilities at all shouldn't find the android OS overly complicated to use at all.

08-25-10 12:47 PM
    Hmm. My tour has been pretty good. I always wanted to update it to 5.0, but after so many bad reviews I decided not too. I don't have a micro usb for the computer anyway. So october = upgrade eligibility. So I'm upgrading to a HTC EVO right away. My cousin has it, and its amazing. Such an great phone. I'm going to move on from BB to the Androids. I still love BBs for the fast texting, easy uses of everything I do, but I want my Evo

08-25-10 11:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD