This thread was fun to read. Thank you SmashFace.
    07-13-09 11:00 PM
    FYI, For what it's worth, RIM "Design Engineers" actually fit the prototypes with a "dummy" or false battery which happens to be slightly bigger than the lithium ion batteries, which are manufactured elsewhere (probably Japan), and are the same dimensions as in most all new RIM Handhelds. They are allowed to be dispersed with the battery door loosely fitting due to the possibility that people living in different climates buy the same device, thus allowing the highly efficient lithium ion batteries to essentially expand and contract with relative barametric pressure fluctuation situations....,(intermission)....,we're back, in other words, if you catch the red-eye flight from Los Angeles to New York and decide to run some business applications @ 30,000 feet or so(after all, these devices were originally designed with the business working class in mind), then you're battery will be allowed to expand or "swell" slightly without popping off your battery cover in front of that hot *** stuardess that obviously wants you, with that sexy *** Blackberry in your hand lookin' all important and stuff. Therefore I think that the fine folks @ RIM (Japan), should be commended for their insight any thoughtfulness of leaving some "Play" in that battery door. Or you can just wrap the battery in a piece of aluminum tape, it'll provide you with a nice snug fit and heck it might even dissipate that heat generated just enough to let that Storm's charge last a little longer...., or not.
    07-13-09 11:46 PM
    No, it isn't. But they need something to complain about now that the device has been released. Pre-release = irritating excitement Post-release = whining about every single nit-picky thing under the sun.
    Exactly! I can't believe some of the things that are being whined about: Sniff sniff, my battery door feels loose when I push on it. Wimper wimper, I can see a gap around the seems on my screen. Boo hoo, my plastic peice creaks when I twist on it. Waaah, my trackball turns orange when I eat Cheetos. LOL This is why I could never work customer service. I can't stand whiners who nit pick for imperfections.
    07-14-09 12:02 AM
    no...she is ignorant of the facts. we took a good phone...took the battery door off and put it on the bad phones...problem solved.

it is not rocket science. what is also important about this is the fact that some people may not figure this out until after the 30 day return period...so an after market door should solve the problem.
    I don't think she's ignorant of the facts, she just doesn't care that the door moves a bit. She also quite clearly likes to agitate people- another area we find common ground.

I understand and agree with her to a certain point. Prior to purchasing my Tour today I had read this thread and checked into it at the VZW store. They had 60 devices total. We checked 35 of them. 26 had loose to very loose battery doors. When I asked to have one that fit better they looked at me like I had three heads.

Bottom line- I still bought one. Two strips of electrical tape inside the cover and PRESTO!! Fits like a glove.

Granted, I should not have to do this to a new device, but in the long run, this really isn't a huge issue.

Smash's point (if I may be so bold) was that some people just like to gripe/whine/***** about everything. I think she nailed it.
    07-14-09 12:08 AM
    Bottom line- I still bought one. Two strips of electrical tape inside the cover and PRESTO!! Fits like a glove.

Granted, I should not have to do this to a new device, but in the long run, this really isn't a huge issue.
    It might not be a huge issue, but when people are paying good money for a new device they shouldn't have to resort to using tape to make sure that it works properly. It's a joke that so many Tours are having these battery cover issues.
    07-14-09 12:21 AM
    what exactly do people mean by loose? like if you move the cover up and down the thing moves a little or not at all v.s a lot? Mine moves very slightly, but there is no reason to get upset about it IMO and I am usually very picky when it comes to new shiny toys. Way I see it, I have been waiting for this phone forever, and as long as it did not give me problems like my storm did, I will look past all the tiny hiccups here and there. The Tour really is an awesome device, I'm satisfied. But to each their own I guess -_-
    07-14-09 12:34 AM
    well, this got out of hand quickly! Must be some former Storm owners have Tours now...
    07-14-09 12:44 AM
    Yes! Exactly! Because I could have predicted that when I purchased the themes, that Plazmic wouldn't have been updated!

Unlike the device, that you buy in a store, and hold, and play with, and take all the way home and only THEN do you "realize" that there's a problem.

Hmmm. Yeah, that sounds like an ID 10 T Error to me.
    Ummm yeaaaaaa... This seems like a "If you don't like whats on TV, then just turn it off" situation in regards to you and this thread. You seem to be annoyed at people for something you have the control to not pay attention too. Your not adding anything besides snark and snark my mama says get's you nowhere... (ok, my mama did not say that, but there's a chance she could at some point).
    07-14-09 01:26 AM
    I went in the store asking for a new battery door (since its loose and a big gap) they told me to put a business card or a piece of paper behind the battery... I believe they think this will work for all phones... Lol... That may be the case for the storm but for the tour?! They should get re-trained on the phone... Are there any cb'ers out there that found a way to resolve this matter?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That rep should have tried another battery cover.
    07-14-09 01:30 AM
    I have an 8900 now but will be getting a tour when I switch to Verizon in a couple of weeks. Some 8900s had loose battery doors and wobbly keyboards.
    A few people retuned their devices many times due to these issues. Mine had both problems too. I thought the wobbly keyboard was normal until I found out differently, and it didn't bother me.
    The loose battery door bugged me, and a couple of weeks later I had the perfect fix. It's called Innocase and will hopefully be available for the Tour soon. I know when I get my Tour that will be my first accessory purchase even if my battery door is snug.

Weird formatting brought to you by a wordwrap issue that is STILL not fixed in the 8900.

07-14-09 02:01 AM
    Are there mods to clean these threads up a bit? Most of the forums I post on have users that get along and do not attack each other. If someone has an issue, another may post a possible solution and that's it.

I do enjoy these forums, there's a wealth of good information here, but I'd really like to spend more time reading/helping others and that's just not happening in a good % of these threads. It seems as if the same folks go on and on antagonizing other CB users...really? Why not just leave the thread alone so it doesn't get bumped and there's no break in the subject?

My thoughts on the loose battery cover issue:

It's not just the cover, it can be both. I tried a good cover on my phone and it still slid a bit. VZW couldn't just swap covers, so they put me into another Tour. T2 has a super sturdy cover that really feels good in the hand. Having the device "squish" when you pick it up because of the gap doesn't feel very comforting. It felt cheap and "Pre-like."

That said, T2's got other issues and I'm just really surprised how much the build quality varies. Is this typical of BB's or is this something new? For example, T1 didn't ripple, but T2 does. T2's also got the LOUDEST speaker I've ever heard on a phone. It shakes the phone so much on high, it's almost vibrating! If it weren't for the excessively low trackball, I'd deal w/ the ripple and 2 scratches underneath the plastic protective film.

Here's a quick movie I made showing how little the T2's battery cover moves. You really have to shove it around whereas the previous one would jiggle and bounce!

Tight Battery Cover.wmv - 4 MB

It's a .wmv, so play it on your pc/mac.

Peace and night all!
    Last edited by Jodiuh; 07-14-09 at 04:40 AM.
    07-14-09 04:37 AM
    bad comparsion, your tour still works (and well i might add), its just one littlle tiny thing your complaining about
    Its a fair comparison. Your Tour still works (and well I might add) without a theme. Its just one little and temporary thing to complain about.

Last edited by Tifoso; 07-14-09 at 06:33 AM.
    07-14-09 06:27 AM
    Yes! Exactly! Because I could have predicted that when I purchased the themes, that Plazmic wouldn't have been updated!

Unlike the device, that you buy in a store, and hold, and play with, and take all the way home and only THEN do you "realize" that there's a problem.

Hmmm. Yeah, that sounds like an ID 10 T Error to me.

Now you are whining about the fact that you didn't know plasmic wasn't updated. Whaaaaaaaa! Go get your ego stroked somewhere else.

07-14-09 06:32 AM
    I do enjoy these forums, there's a wealth of good information here, but I'd really like to spend more time reading/helping others and that's just not happening in a good % of these threads. It seems as if the same folks go on and on antagonizing other CB users...Why not just leave the thread alone so it doesn't get bumped and there's no break in the subject?
    Amen. It does become tiring.
    And imho this is a legitimate issue for some. There is a variance in fit.

Watched your video Jodiuh. Very good fit on that door.

If all Tours were like the first one they brought out to me, I would have not purchased a Tour at all. It was pretty bad. So much play in all directions it rattled. It looked cheap and poorly made. The rep was very surprised too at how much movement there was (she showed her coworker and said 'check this out'). I purchased the second one she brought out. There's some slight movement, nothing I'm going to let alarm me, tho.
    07-14-09 06:39 AM
    Whoa.

Seems to me people are having some issues and they come on here to see if others are having the same issues and see if there are any solutions they can try. What exactly is wrong with that?

cs doesn't care about your battery door being loose....or most things for that matter. That's the whole point of these forums. People can help one another figure out how to make their device work better.

Do you think that all the devices are made exactly the same and there are never any with defects?
    The battery door shouldnt be an issue, instead of making a nice metal battery door, RIM released it with a POS plastic door. Why would they do that. There's nothing people on a forum can do for a manufacture defect. They should take the phone back and get a new one and not complain here as they will only get told how to ghetto rig their phone, but they should complain to stores so maybe when RIM sees all these phones coming back because of battery doors, they will address it hopefully.

Maybe these people with battery door problems can email or call RIM and voice their complaint instead of complaining on a forum.
    07-14-09 06:42 AM
    Go get your ego stroked somewhere else.
    Tifoso! This is a family-friendly forum!!!
    07-14-09 06:50 AM
    God, you're all a bunch of idiots.
    07-14-09 06:59 AM
    I have very slight side to side movememt in mine. Not really enough to bother me to much as I will be putting a case on it when they are available. I asked them at the verizon store if they knew about the issue they said they had no idea and hadn't heard anything about it.
    Last edited by K.Jensen; 07-14-09 at 08:10 AM.
    07-14-09 07:41 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD