This is a question I've been trying to search for now for a while, maybe you guys can shed some light for me..?

whats going to make this Tour stand out from the rest of the Blackberrys on the market as of now? What screams to people, "Oh that Tour is awesome, I want one!!" What exactly is so different with the Tour?
    05-24-09 07:54 AM
    The fact that it's the "latest & greatest". Other than that, I don't know.
    05-24-09 07:58 AM
    I think it's just a combination of the best that RIM has to offer.
    The Bold keyboard, a little more pocketable, and CDMA users don't really have an equivalent to the Bold. And if I'm not mistaken this is meant to be the Bold of CDMA carriers. (correct me if I'm wrong?)
    05-24-09 08:04 AM
    Bold type keyboard on VZW? I dont know if there are any others like that for VZW. Other than that it looks sick
    05-24-09 08:06 AM
    I am relatively new here, but from what I understand, there really isn't anything that the Tour has to make it "stand out" from the rest. Yes, there are some specs that are different, but, for the most part, it was made to compliment the Bold/9000 but for CDMA carriers (i.e. Verizon and Sprint in the US). The Tour's size is between the 8900 and the Bold, it has more memory than the Bold, but the Bold has a faster processor. The Tour is a 3G phone, but so is the Bold. But the Bold has WiFi, while the Tour will not. The new Curves seem to have the new optical pads instead of the traditional trackball. The Tour, at least the first production models from what we know, will have the traditional trackball. That having been said, many have said that the Tour has the best speakers and call quality, although this is not a "stand out" feature. The keyboard is a mix of 8900 and 9000, so in that sense it is kinda different, but not a "stand out" feature. The keyboard is more spacious than the 8900, but smaller than the 9000, so to many it seems just right. The Tour's keyboards also have a softer, quiet push to them, unlike the 8900 which, from what I understand, is more of a "click."

Again, the Tour is not revolutionary, but perhaps evolutionary...which is fine by me.
    Last edited by BBZAX; 05-24-09 at 08:11 AM.
    05-24-09 08:07 AM
    You have to look at it from the aspect of what the phone is and where it fits into the lineup.

For CDMA, this is an upgrade to the 88xx lineup. Of the current 8xxx lineup, the 88xx series has probably been out there longer than any other phone (8700 isn't in the current lineup). The Bold came and replaced the 8800 last year. A CDMA version of the Bold never came out (AT&T exclusivity).

The 8830WE has the lowest amount of memory of the current lineup (along with the 8130). It wasn't until a few months ago that even OS 4.5 came out for it. There hasn't been a world edition update for 8830 owners... until the Niagara/Tour.

As an 8830WE owner, this is a very welcomed update. More memory. Faster processor. Camera (possibly a version without camera for government employees and such). Updated OS. Similar keyboard. And still a World Edition phone.

If you look at the Tour and base it off of the Bold, Curve 8900, Magnum, or other future options, it's not a huge jump in technology. BUT, if you look at it from the standpoint that this is the new 88xx series replacement (which it is), then you can see they have made some very good improvements over the current option.
    05-24-09 09:08 AM
    for me...it seems like a more solid build than the curve...has 3g and a real keyboard. i will miss the screen size of the storm...but hopefully the tour will be all i hope it will be.

i also hope the call signal is strong. i have had issues with the storm.
    05-24-09 09:59 AM
    This is a question I've been trying to search for now for a while, maybe you guys can shed some light for me..?

whats going to make this Tour stand out from the rest of the Blackberrys on the market as of now? What screams to people, "Oh that Tour is awesome, I want one!!" What exactly is so different with the Tour?
    nothing really....
    what screams that tour is awesome and i want one is the fact that it is the first "real" blackberry in a while for CDMA providers
    it doesnt really bring anything new to the table
    05-24-09 10:14 AM
    The fact that all the rave and hype of the Bold has made led to me wanted a Bold... There was no way that I was going to switch my carrier just for the one phone. So once I heard that the Tour was going to basically be a Bold and be on Verizon, I jumped for joy.
    05-24-09 11:23 AM
    I don't think it will bring anything new to bb users other then a cool look and keyboard with touch screen.
    But I must say it will be a good addition for akk the CDMA users who needs a bold kinda bb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-09 11:30 AM
    You have to look at it from the aspect of what the phone is and where it fits into the lineup.

For CDMA, this is an upgrade to the 88xx lineup. Of the current 8xxx lineup, the 88xx series has probably been out there longer than any other phone (8700 isn't in the current lineup). The Bold came and replaced the 8800 last year. A CDMA version of the Bold never came out (AT&T exclusivity).

The 8830WE has the lowest amount of memory of the current lineup (along with the 8130). It wasn't until a few months ago that even OS 4.5 came out for it. There hasn't been a world edition update for 8830 owners... until the Niagara/Tour.

As an 8830WE owner, this is a very welcome update. More memory. Faster processor. Camera (possibly a version without camera for government employees and such). Updated OS. Similar keyboard. And still a World Edition phone.

If you look at the Tour and base it off of the Bold, Curve 8900, Magnum, or other future options, it's not a huge jump in technology. BUT, if you look at it from the standpoint that this is the new 88xx series replacement (which it is), then you can see they have made some very good improvements over the current option.
    Correct, this device is replacing the 8830 and is about 3 times the device the current W.E. is. As you mentioned, faster processor, much much much better screen, more memory, better camera, great keyboard, better browser, much faster internet(Rev A instead of Rev 0), & upgraded OS just to name a few. Once the 9630 hits CDMA carriers it will be the best CDMA BlackBerry on the market easily. No other device is really close in comparison, that alone makes the device stand out from the rest.
    05-24-09 11:45 AM
    I don't think it will bring anything new to th bb users other then a cool look and keyboard with touch screen.
    But I must say it will be a good addition for akk the CDMA users who needs a bold kinda bb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The Tour isn't touchscreen.
    05-24-09 11:56 AM
    Like everyone is saying... a powerful CDMA BlackBerry. A BlackBerry with everything the Bold has and more (smaller size and better cam)
    Last edited by Duvi; 05-25-09 at 07:50 PM. Reason: grammatical error
    05-24-09 12:06 PM
    Correct, this device is replacing the 8830 and is about 3 times the device the current W.E. is. As you mentioned, faster processor, much much much better screen, more memory, better camera, great keyboard, better browser, much faster internet(Rev A instead of Rev 0), & upgraded OS just to name a few. Once the 9630 hits CDMA carriers it will be the best CDMA BlackBerry on the market easily. No other device is really close in comparison, that alone makes the device stand out from the rest.
    Which is exactly why I will be getting one to replace my 8830WE that I have. That is if every thing holds true and VZW gets it.
    05-24-09 01:00 PM
    I don't believe there are any new features or anything...CDMA users just don't get the cool stuff right away...so when something like this comes out for us its a REALLY big deal...Heck...if you look at the post count of each section...The Storm section has more than any other section on the forum...I mean that one was a big deal because of the touch screen too...but that was one of the first really cool phones CDMA got before the GSM carriers (at least in the US)
    05-24-09 05:35 PM

this is why I put it in line next to the BOLD. because on that side of the park the bold currently sits there. Now of course there is a new berry coming out to top the BOLD but that doesn't mean that the tour still doesn't sit in the same line as the bold if you had to compare to a opposite carrier
    05-25-09 03:31 AM
    I don't believe there are any new features or anything...CDMA users just don't get the cool stuff right away...so when something like this comes out for us its a REALLY big deal...Heck...if you look at the post count of each section...The Storm section has more than any other section on the forum...I mean that one was a big deal because of the touch screen too...but that was one of the first really cool phones CDMA got before the GSM carriers (at least in the US)

A huge part of that is because its the first touch screen that verizon or any cdma carrier has received that even compared to the iPhone...

The touch screen device is a huge hype in the consumer area of things so it comes as no surprise..

you will see the same thing happen with the pre.. just not on this forum.
    05-25-09 03:32 AM
    I can see that the Tour will be a huge improvement/upgrade to the 8830 WE, as it is older and has not been updated in a long time, but will it be be a huge upgrade improvement to the Curve 8330?

I love the Curve, but will be interested in the Tour come my NE2 (not till Jan
    2010)
    05-25-09 03:13 PM
    This unit is supposed to have the Rev A capabilities and more interals than that of the storm and with the large 3g area of VZW its gunna be the cats nuts
    05-25-09 04:33 PM
    I can see that the Tour will be a huge improvement/upgrade to the 8830 WE, as it is older and has not been updated in a long time, but will it be be a huge upgrade improvement to the Curve 8330?

2010)

yes its definetly a pretty big upgrade from all the bb's at vzw all beit the storm unless you want a keyboard..

it as more memory for applications faster processor etc etc its a pretty big upgrade all around.
    05-25-09 06:41 PM

2010)
    That's part of the point. This is replacing the 8830WE, not the Curve 8330. Huge improvement? Maybe not, but it is an improvement over the Curve as well. More memory, faster processor, better camera, newer OS, but with the 8830/Bold keyboard.

There was supposed to be an 8930 in the works (Jupiter) at one point and time. That would be the direct upgrade to the Curve 8330.
    05-25-09 07:48 PM
    The Tour reminds me of what happened with the Curve.

The Curve was out for over a year on at&t/t-mobile and when it came to verizon/sprint, they upped the memory from 64 to 96.

With the Tour, they are making it smaller and adding a 3.2MP cam.
    05-25-09 07:51 PM
    The Tour reminds me of what happened with the Curve.

The Curve was out for over a year on at&t/t-mobile and when it came to verizon/sprint, they upped the memory from 64 to 96.

With the Tour, they are making it smaller and adding a 3.2MP cam.

faster processor too....

its overall a better device then any other blackberry model on the verizon lineup... unless you want a touch screen then the bb storm is your best option there..

It really is leaps and bounds above the current blackberry keyboard device lineup on verizon
    05-25-09 07:54 PM
    The answer to the question the OP asks depends on how "the rest" is defined. If it is defined as all BlackBerries, then the answer is, not much. I see the Tour as a smaller, slightly newer Bold. Or a larger, slightly newer, 3G 8900.

But if "the rest" is defined as "Verizon BlackBerries" then the answer is, everything! This will be, amazingly enough, the FIRST "next gen" physical keyboard BlackBerry on VZW. If you want to be on VZW, and you want a physical keyboard, your choices are the Curve 8330 and the 8830WE (my phone). Both, at this point, are frankly ancient dinosaurs. The screens are meh, the OS (even updated to 4.5) pales in comparison to the new phones, memory is non-existent, media capabilities are minimal, the camera isn't there (8830) or is weak (8330), they are slow, and so on. So the Tour will be a MASSIVE improvement.

Personally, all things being equal, I'd prefer a Curve 8900. I like the small size, and I like the keyboard just fine. But since for now, I want to stay with VZW (I'd love to switch to TMo but the service I need just isn't there), the Tour is my best and last hope!
    05-25-09 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD