Now, don't get me wrong. Overall, I'm pretty stoked with the tour, and Sprint. I switched from AT&T with a Curve 8310 to the Sprint Tour, and coverage is great (in the Los Angeles area), speeds are fast, it's dandy.
    But there are a number of things that seem so simple (the Curve had them right!) that the Tour fumbles on.

1)When I'm listening to music, if someone sends me a text message and the phone plays the text message tone, the music player STOPS PLAYING, then after the text message tone, resumes playing and NOT EVEN WHERE IT STOPPED. It skips to some other random point in the song. DUMB. The curve would just play the text message sound out of the physical speaker and keep playing the music through the headphones jack.

2)Text messaging. SERIOUSLY?!?!? The stupid phone STOPS me when I hit 160 characters! HOLY CRAP! So I have to click 6 times to reply again to whoever I'm talking to just so I can finish the stupid message. The Curve just split the thing apart for you automatically. Also, text messages take a hair longer to deliver than AT&T did. And they'll frequently come in out of sequence.

3)Frequent freezes. Frequently I'll see the little clock symbol. Why? I have NO IDEA. Now, that happens alot with Viigo (which is apparently the slowest application ever designed for a Blackberry), but it also happens at other times, like sometimes when I'm looking through a phone log or something.

4)What's the deal with this stupid Micro-USB jack?!?!? Is it REALLY any smaller than the old USB jack? Not really. And further, now I have to carry around a cable specifically for the phone. It took years to get everyone to use the same USB jack on almost all devices from phones to hard drives, and now this. I know it was an agreement amongst alot of manufacturers, but I really can't see how the tiny amount of space savings is going to benefit ANY phone maker...

If I could get those 3 issues resolved (the jack is kind of permanent), it would be at least as good as the curve, with all the extra benefits of the Tour. By which I mean, really great.

The new screen is fanTASTIC. I mean, flat killer. Have 128MB of operating memory is lovely (I've got like, 116MB free now. I'll probably never have to do another battery pull to clear out the system). Tethering that works is aMAZING, especially over Bluetooth. AWESOME. Sprint TV is really cool, as well.

Anyone know of any solutions? With luck, this will be user error and can be fixed soon.

-Stephen
    07-26-09 10:52 AM
    I think there are 3rd party apps to "fix" the SMS 160 character limit.

The little wait clock I have seen too, but usually only when a background app is doing something (like Facebook, Viigo, etc.). And yes, Viigo is very slow - but this isn't the Tour's fault.

As for the micro USB port, RIM has gone to micro USB for all phones now. In fact, the European Union has passed a law stating that all phones must carry the micro USB port (or include an adapter) for charging so people can keep their chargers and not have to pay for new ones each time they get a new phone.

Oh, and the music thing - yes, that seems to be a bug. I've seen it, too.
    07-26-09 11:07 AM
    My Curve 8330 stopped me at 160 characters just like the Tour does. Which model Curve are you referring too?
    Or maybe this is provider-based, but I didn't think so.
    Of well, my experience is with a 8330 on TELUS.

The 3rd party App referred to above is called Beyond160. I do NOT think it's free however...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-09 11:35 AM
    Just checked: Beyond160 by Cannon Software is $6.99 on BB App World.

07-26-09 11:39 AM
    I agree that the micro usb is dumb. all of my cables that i already have wont work with it, including car charges, etc. pretty lame.

In regards to the texts stopping you at 160 characters, this is provider based. GSM providers will let you keep typing and autmatically break it up when you send. Verizon and Sprint do no do this. It literally stops you at 160 characters. to bypass this, you can purchase a program called Beyond160 for your BB, I think it's only a few bucks, but i have it and love it. if your text is going to be longer than 160 characters, you just menu click, and select "go beyond 160" and it opens up your text in a new window and lets you type until you're blue in the face.
    07-26-09 11:42 AM
    Oh yeah, Stephen: you might want to edit the original post's title. I think you meant "haTe" not "haVe" right?

You can just send a MMS message and get more characters
    I agree that the micro usb is dumb. all of my cables that i already have wont work with it, including car charges, etc. pretty lame.

In regards to the texts stopping you at 160 characters, this is provider based. GSM providers will let you keep typing and autmatically break it up when you send. Verizon and Sprint do no do this. It literally stops you at 160 characters. to bypass this, you can purchase a program called Beyond160 for your BB, I think it's only a few bucks, but i have it and love it. if your text is going to be longer than 160 characters, you just menu click, and select "go beyond 160" and it opens up your text in a new window and lets you type until you're blue in the face.

to inform you micro usb is turning into the standard for "all cellphones"

this includes dumbphones smartphones etc from what I understand.. so its actually a good move for the future as you will only need to upgrade your cables if they actually break..
    07-26-09 11:45 AM
    to inform you micro usb is turning into the standard for "all cellphones"

this includes dumbphones smartphones etc from what I understand.. so its actually a good move for the future as you will only need to upgrade your cables if they actually break..
    Well it wont be an issue if the micro becomes the new standard. It just stinks when you have been using the same chargers, plugs, and data cables for years and all of a sudden everything changes. If from now on, all new BB's have the microUSB, eventually everyone will transition, and it wont be an issue.
    07-26-09 11:48 AM
    1) I don't have that problem. My song stops and resumes just correctly. And I also prefer that it stops the music because before I couldn't hear the sounds over my music.

2) Never had an issue with SMS's being misordered and they deliver faster than my Bold. I do dislike the 160 char limit, but then again I don't use SMS's as much as I use chat services and PING messages.

3) Shouldn't happen, just reboot. My Tour is loaded with apps (like 10 runnning in the background and its super speedy). It's not a tour issue also, my bold would sometimes slow down, and I'd reboot.

4) You need read about how the MicroUSB is the new international standard, not only on BB, but all new phones. Storm/Tour are the guinea pigs, get used to it...fast.

I still cant believe people think about the Curve anymore. I was so ashamed to show anyone I used that relic from ancient times.
    Last edited by redwanhuq; 07-26-09 at 12:11 PM.
    07-26-09 12:08 PM
    You can just send a MMS message and get more characters
    Good suggestion.

"dumbphones" should be abolished. We should all just use email/ping messages to communicate.
    07-26-09 12:10 PM
    ummmm, sorry to sound dumb but whats a PING message?
    07-26-09 12:22 PM
    I have to say I"m not too stoked about the trackball..
    07-26-09 12:23 PM
    I also agree about the trackball. It's getting more irritating as time goes by. And further, it's going to be difficult to replace.
    07-27-09 10:03 AM
    Sounds like someone has a case of the Mundays!!!!
    07-27-09 10:05 AM
    2)Text messaging. SERIOUSLY?!?!? The stupid phone STOPS me when I hit 160 characters! HOLY CRAP! So I have to click 6 times to reply again to whoever I'm talking to just so I can finish the stupid message. The Curve just split the thing apart for you automatically. Also, text messages take a hair longer to deliver than AT&T did. And they'll frequently come in out of sequence.
    Another reason why we need Enhanced Messaging Service on the Verizon Tour
    07-29-09 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD