If I swap my tour for another one, mainly because of a bad freezing issue, what kind of complications can I expect when trying to restore the device to its previous self. I've bought a couple apps and downloaded free ones as well, etc.

Also have a bit of blackberry messenger contacts.

just wondering, thanks guys.
    09-16-09 11:25 PM
    I'm also kind of wondering about this. So I'll have to re-buy the themes/apps, correct?
    09-16-09 11:30 PM
    You'll still end up with a tour
    09-16-09 11:31 PM
    so far as your bbm contacts (and other contacts etc.)are concerned, they'll be backed up if you connect it to desktop manager and save a backup file...so far as apps, you'll have to wait for someone better to answer. sorry.
    09-16-09 11:33 PM
    I only had a problem one time (using backup and restore). Otherwise, smooth sailing.

I just did the Device Switch Wizard when I got my new Tour (cause I had to send my other one back). If you are doing the exchange in store, just do a backup on Desktop Manager before you return it.
    09-16-09 11:38 PM
    So you do a regular backup file and then once you run the device switch wizard it pulls over the backup file onto the new device?

Doesn't sound so bad! I hope my new one doesn't have the freezing problems that this one suffers from

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-09 06:44 PM
    Anyone want a write up on how to do it problem free?

09-17-09 06:48 PM
    so far as your bbm contacts (and other contacts etc.)are concerned, they'll be backed up if you connect it to desktop manager and save a backup file...so far as apps, you'll have to wait for someone better to answer. sorry.
    Hey, I'm definitely no expert, but I have some experience with this.

I recently replaced my tour and was able to recover all the apps I paid for through BlackBerry AppWorld. All I had to do was download BBAppWorld to the new phone and log in using my paypal user name and password. From there, it refreshed with all the old apps that I paid for and downloaded previously and I didn't have to pay again.

Hope this helps.
    09-17-09 06:58 PM
    Yeah, you'd think as much as this has happened someone would have by now.
    09-17-09 06:58 PM
    Will do in a seperate thread hopefully someone will sticky

09-17-09 07:01 PM
    maybee I got lucky---- all my apps were saved on desktop mgr and they transfered to my new tour
    09-17-09 07:03 PM
    Either (1) device switch wizard with both devices at the computer at the same time or (2) backup your data and 3rd party apps using the instructions found somewhere on Crackberry... forget the exact link but it's a sticky thread in the tips and tricks area.

Now, that said.. some paid apps use license keys. Sometimes those license keys are unique to your Blackberry PIN. BUT, BB App World will issue you new license keys per one of the replies above. The process, which can be quite painful, is to (1) uninstall every paid app on the new Blackberry (counter-intuitive, I know...)... then (2) uninstall BB App World. Then (3) pull the battery and wait a full 30 seconds or more. (4) Next, install the latest BB App World. (5) Login to BB App World using your PayPay info. Your new license keys will appear in BB App World, specific to the new Blackberry PIN. Kudos to Nikkisoft for helping me through it with QuickLaunch at stake!

Don't know the process for Mobihand but I have read that there is a process and you don't need to repurchase apps.

On BB Messenger, if you have the leaked 5.0 version, you can backup your BBM contacts to your microSD card. As for older versions, refer to replies above, I suppose.. no experience there.
    09-17-09 07:46 PM
    Now, that said.. some paid apps use license keys. Sometimes those license keys are unique to your Blackberry PIN. BUT, BB App World will issue you new license keys per one of the replies above. The process, which can be quite painful, is to (1) uninstall every paid app on the new Blackberry (counter-intuitive, I know...)... then (2) uninstall BB App World. Then (3) pull the battery and wait a full 30 seconds or more. (4) Next, install the latest BB App World. (5) Login to BB App World using your PayPay info. Your new license keys will appear in BB App World, specific to the new Blackberry PIN. Kudos to Nikkisoft for helping me through it with QuickLaunch at stake!
    I recently replaced my Sprint BB Tour with Sprint, and when trying to reinstall my puchased BB World apps get the following: "You have used all your available device pin changes for your My World account." I keep receiving this error when I am trying to use my BB Tour with the NEW pin. I had to have a few exchanges with Sprint, due to Tour trackball issues. When I log in via PayPal I cannot purchase anything new or retrieve my prior purchases with this error. There is a BB Tech Support link but - guess what? It won't let me submit a ticket since it lists BOTH my old and my new PIN as invalid. I posted my complaint on BB support forums and am hoping for the best; it sucks as I purchased a new app on BB World just a few days ago.

Crackberry App World makes PIN exchange a snap - just plug in your new PIN and you can easily retrieve your purchased apps. RIM App World support really dropped the ball on this one - there are plenty of BB Tours being exchanged and this App World problem really needs to be rectified. RIM limits the number of PIN exchanges to 3 a year - but some of us Tour owners have replaced our Tours more than 3 times and we should not be punished yet again for another RIM screwup. And, the owners aren't able to submit their complaint to BB tech support because the link would not accept their new PIN! Shame on you, RIM.
    09-23-09 06:05 AM
    If I swap my tour for another one, mainly because of a bad freezing issue, what kind of complications can I expect when trying to restore the device to its previous self. I've bought a couple apps and downloaded free ones as well, etc.

Also have a bit of blackberry messenger contacts.

just wondering, thanks guys.
    if you're on BBM5.0, it will save your contacts when you swap devices. at least it did for me.
    09-23-09 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD