Hello.
    My coworker's Tour got a little wet. I took it apart, it looked clean and dry by the time I got it, but some keys do not work right. The power key only turns the device on, I press 5 and it shows *5 and other double digits when I press various keys.
    Is there anything that could be done to fix it, or is it paperweight?

Thank you.
    Last edited by MagyariBulan; 03-26-10 at 09:47 AM.
    03-26-10 09:44 AM
    Try some rice.
    03-26-10 10:08 AM
    should've done the rice trick for a day or two before turning it back on. now that it's been powered on while likely still wet i'd say you're SOL.
    03-26-10 12:25 PM
    should've done the rice trick for a day or two before turning it back on. now that it's been powered on while likely still wet i'd say you're SOL.
    The thing is that I found no water when I dismantled the phone.
    03-26-10 01:31 PM
    The thing is that I found no water when I dismantled the phone.
    Highly doubtful, unless you completely disassembled the whole phone, and dried everything off. Water can get into many places that you can't see or feel. I think the phone is a paperweight now.
    03-26-10 01:45 PM
    Highly doubtful, unless you completely disassembled the whole phone, and dried everything off. Water can get into many places that you can't see or feel. I think the phone is a paperweight now.
    I did take it completely apart. Screen, motherboard, etc. Just like in the youtube tutorials
    03-26-10 01:48 PM
    Water can still get into the motherboard, and all the other little electronics that are in there, it is water... You could try to wipe the phone and reinstall the OS, but like I and many others said, the phone should of sat in rice for a few days. It gets not only the water out, but also the moisture. It needed to be dried to turn on, just taking the phone apart and not seeing water isn't good enough. I'm sure there were parts that were still wet/damp, and by powering the phone on, you ruined it.
    03-26-10 01:54 PM
    did you check the water damage indicator?
    03-26-10 01:55 PM
    this thread sounds a little dirty.
    03-26-10 02:02 PM
    did you check the water damage indicator?
    Red-ish . Like I said, I got it a week after the mishap so there wasn't much for me to do.
    Last edited by MagyariBulan; 03-26-10 at 02:07 PM.
    03-26-10 02:05 PM
    Red-ish .
    That means it got wet, and not just a little wet either. I hope there was insurance on the phone...
    03-26-10 02:07 PM
    Hello.
    My coworker's Tour got a little wet. I took it apart, it looked clean and dry by the time I got it, but some keys do not work right. The power key only turns the device on, I press 5 and it shows *5 and other double digits when I press various keys.
    Is there anything that could be done to fix it, or is it paperweight?

Thank you.
    Well...you shouldn't have powered it on until you were absolutely certain that it was completely dry. I once had a pager which fell off my belt into a rather sizable puddle. I immediately pulled the battery and disassembled it as soon as possible. Once disassembled, it LOOKED dry, but I didn't trust that - I heated the oven in the kitchen to about 125 - 150 degrees F and carefully placed the electronics on the oven rack. Had I thought of Rice, I would have put the electronics in a bowl of rice and placed that in the oven. The heat from the oven helped to evaporate the water from all kinds of nooks and crannies that I couldn't get to otherwise. After sitting in the oven for a couple of hours, I reassembled the pager and it worked fine.

I do admit that I was relatively lucky too - there weren't a lot of minerals dissolved in the water - if it had been salt water then a conductive layer of salt could have been left behind after all the water evaporated, and then just drying things out wouldn't have worked.

Do you know if this tour was dropped in fresh water, salt water, some other kind of contaminated water, etc?
    03-26-10 05:52 PM
    Forget the rice, use silica dessicant

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-10 01:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD