Im going to South Africa on the 29th and I was wondering if there was anyway to get cheap calls back to the US? I set up the Verizon international data plan so I was wondering if Skype or Google Voice are options? I just dont feel like paying $3/minute
    05-13-10 02:22 PM
    Both Skype and Google Voice are options so long as you have data usage set up and have a good connection wherever you are staying in South Africa. Skype is always free if you call Skype - Skype. International rates to both landlines and mobile devices vary but both Skype and Google Voice have lists of rates that are updated should any changes occur. I'll post the links below. Also, make sure you investigate how payment works for each of the services, purchasing credits, etc.

Good luck finding something that works for you and have a blast in South Africa!!!

[Skype]
    [Google Voice]
    Last edited by d5115r; 05-13-10 at 05:36 PM.
    05-13-10 04:57 PM
    Skype won't work from your BlackBerry device if you are in South Africa, if that's what you are asking. You could Skype to Skype from a computer.

The Skype BlackBerry application only works in the US and while on the Verizon network.
    05-13-10 05:03 PM
    And, for the record, Google Voice uses the VOICE network on your phone. It is not data.
    05-14-10 09:17 AM
    And, for the record, Google Voice uses the VOICE network on your phone. It is not data.
    It's really both. To make calls, it uses voice, but in order to use the application etc. it requires data. I suppose the app is unnecessary though because you can simply call your own google-number for your voice mail.
    05-14-10 09:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD