Longtime reader, first ever poster so take it easy on me.

Anyway, I've had the unfortunate luck of being one of the first Tour users to have spilled a fair amount of liquid on my Tour.

Everything worked fine after the spill and I breathed a sigh of relief...until I tried to click the trackball or use the keyboard. Neither worked and panic set in. The display is also distorted with water over about 60% of the surface.

I've got the battery and media/SIM cards pulled and the phone is currently in a bag of rice for the next 12 hours or so.

Sadly, I didn't buy insurance with Verizon because I think it's a rip off and I'm pretty sure water damage isn't covered under the initial 30 day warranty.

I'll let everybody know what happens so if you ever get stuck in this jam you can refer back. If anybody has any further advice, let me know.
    07-26-09 02:09 AM
    why rice?

like i dont get it
    07-26-09 02:13 AM
    Maybe the insurance isn't as much if a rip off now is it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-09 02:13 AM
    Rice absorbs moisture. It's a pretty common fix for this type of thing actually.

And yes, the insurance doesn't look like a bad option now, but if you aren't an ***** like me you end up paying for the cost of a new phone a time or two over in the end. Still don't regret not buying it.
    07-26-09 02:17 AM
    I've always felt insurance is a rip off, even in this situation.
    07-26-09 02:21 AM
    Check with your credit card. They may supply some insurance to you if you have scheduled payments through them. Won't cover the cost of the phone but might ease the pain a bit.
    07-26-09 05:32 AM
    rice does work pretty good! used it on my LG versa but speaker is still messed up. Soad from being in the pool
    07-26-09 06:04 AM
    I believe you can opt in at any time for the insurance (during the first 30 days), so why don't you just add the insurance now and make a claim tomorrow? They never said the phone had to be in perfect condition when purchasing insurance.
    07-26-09 06:22 AM
    Just back from a cruise where a waiter spilled a tropical drink on me and into my pocket all over my tour. Trackball and buttons didn't work for 2 days but work now. I only have screen damage. The water sticker under the battery door is still white so I am going to try and just bring it back to Verizon.

07-26-09 07:20 AM
    Shame on you. Now get insurance. It's time for you to learn just like I had to learn. Or... Be hard headed and do it again in a couple months/years. Good luck. Hope your phone dries okay.
    07-26-09 07:27 AM
    I am pretty sure dw is correct about opting in for the insurance. I opted for insurance with my palm because the two phones I had previous were damaged or stolen. I lost my palm two weeks before my ne2 was up. I paid $72 dollars for insurance over the year. Had I opted for a replacement it would have been a total cost of $122, $72 + $50. You can buy a new version of my phone for $110 on Ebay, but that was the phone I bought last yeah. When my samsung alias was stolen I couldn't finds that phone for less that $300.
    If the water damage spot indicator hasn't changed, take it back.

07-26-09 07:38 AM
    I'm sorry to hear this and know exactly how you feel.

My Curve 8330 slipped out of my hoodie pocket and landed in a bucket that had about an inch of water in it. By coincidence I had just been reading misc posts at CB and read some on what to do if phone got wet. So I scooped it out immediately, took battery out, dried it off, but insides got wet. I wasn't at home, so by the time I got home it was several hours later. Pulled out my Torx set (Lowes, Home Depot), took the Curve apart, logged into forums for specific instructions. Set plastic parts aside and put metal innards on a cookie sheet and put them on a low 200 oven to dry for several hours. Then I put it in a bag of rice over night. I found all instructions here on CB. My Curve survived just fine with exception of two issue: I lost one of the Torx screws in my panic and have yet to find it. Purchased several via hobby store, radio shack, none are a suitable replacement, won't thread properly. Had to replace the mid-plate because the speaker didn't sound right. That came from Hong Kong, took about 10 days. Got a new midplate w/speaker, volume never did seem high enough to me after that (tho speaker phone works fine). Other than that, it's still ticking along and that was last winter.

Here are some posts and links on drying out a wet phone:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-...ckberry-43139/
    How to Save a Wet Cell Phone: 11 steps (with video) - wikiHow
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/spi...se-help-26744/
    (In that one above mod Pete6 says not to use rice and why)
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/hel...rve-wet-55276/
    07-26-09 07:48 AM
    My brother just had an issue with his Tour. Took it hunting with him, talked on it a bit while it was raining and had it in a pocket in his outside layer of clothing. Didn't realize that it got wet until he got home and the keyboard and trackball weren't working.

It has been in rice for about 1.5 days and today he tried it and the keyboard was acting funny (one button activating multiple keys, etc.) and I think the trackball clicking (and maybe tracking) wasn't working.

And, of course, I got the insurance on mine, because I don't trust myself, but he being the "responsible" brother, didn't think he needed it. If it doesn't work for him, he's probably going to end up switching back to his LG VX8600.... which I can't believe, at 4 years old, is still working....

I'll try to keep you guys updated as I find out what happens.
    Last edited by dperk; 11-02-09 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Seemed pointless without and ending...
    11-02-09 02:03 PM
    Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees, turn the oven off, wrap the phone in a towel and put it in there for 2 days worked for my dads friends blackberry that was completely submerged for about 20 seconds.

P.s. Make sure the memory card, sim and battery are out

11-02-09 02:11 PM
    I may have heard the VZW rep wrong when we bought our Tours 2 weeks ago, but we bought insurance and he said liquid damage WAS covered. Granted, we pay 7./mo ea. for 3 tours, but you just never know what can happen. Our 20 year old has one on our plan, Lord knows how he handles his phone while at school! I'd rather pay the 7/mo and the 89. ded. than to buy a whole phone at cost! Just my preference.
    11-02-09 02:37 PM
    u guys know this thread was made in July dont u? its an old thread
    11-02-09 02:39 PM
    my friend's Tour was dunked straight in the toilet bowl (clean, fortunately...) and after 2 days in rice and baking in the sunlight, it fired up, NO problems whatsoever...
    Minus the ink stickers... they tell the tale.
    Last edited by tourer93004; 11-30-09 at 02:13 PM.
    11-30-09 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD