My verizon tour is less than a week old. I dropped it in the sink full of water. I had a bb pearl for 2 years and never did something this dumb.

It was in the water for only a few seconds but fully submersed. As soon as I took it out it was working, so I quickly turned it off and took out the battery. I dried it off first with a blow dryer and towel. I used the blow dryer on low heat. Then I put it in a plastic bag with rice overnight.

I put the battery in this morning and everything looked great. The screen is perfect. It is receiving emails and phone calls. That is the good news. The bad news is that none of the key pad buttons work. I can not answer calls or open emails. I tried every button on the phone and nothing. Any advice? Has anyone had similiar issues? Any help would be appreciated.
    08-28-09 06:10 PM
    If it were just a few keys not working, I would say replace the keyboard, but if they are all non-working, your probably going to have to send away to have it fixed or get a new one. I've heard that it should be left to dry for several days, not just overnight.
    08-28-09 06:33 PM
    Well it is within your 30 days. They ask very few questions. If you just tell them your keyboard isn't working and it's not working they'll switch it out. If you want to be superhonest and tell them exactly WHY it's not working they may let you replace it for $50 (even without insurance). Either way it's worth a shot.
    08-28-09 07:32 PM
    Do the superhonest thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-09 07:59 PM
    Your only options if it is not working is to attempt to replace the broken parts yourself (not recommended), or to get a replacement from Verizon.
    08-28-09 07:59 PM
    Do the superhonest thing.

+10 points, being honest always the best thing.
    08-28-09 09:41 PM
    Send it back and have it replaced...or you can take phone apart and try to dry the keys wit blow dryer again...
    08-28-09 10:03 PM
    I will definately do the right thing. If the phone does not dry I will just have to buy a new one. I have it drying day three. I have read a lot of post about keys not working after damage and several people say that it takes 2 to 3 days. I am going crazy without it. Ill give it the weekend and if it still does not work then I will break down and buy a new one. Keep your fingers crossed......
    08-29-09 09:17 PM
    Give it a few days.

My daughter did the same thing with a non-blackberry phone. The keys didn't work until a few days down the road. They came back one at a time for the most part.

08-29-09 09:22 PM
    Feel lucky, my friend dropped his Nokia N97 in a dirty bowling alley toilet. $700 drenched and covered in you don't wanna know what.
    08-30-09 05:39 PM
    If you take it to a store to replace and just say it's broken, they will see the water damage indicator and refuse replacement. If you call cs and have one shipped, they will inspect yours upon return, see the water indicator, and charge you full retail for the replacement.
    08-30-09 05:48 PM
    my pearl went fishing through 2 down pores on the ocean and craped out. wouldnt do anything. i striped it down and put it on the defroster vent of my truck for like half an hour and kept turning it every now and then. works like new.
    08-30-09 05:52 PM
    There is probably some residual moisture that was not fully evaporated below the keys. The should work once dried but it's less likely now. Just get a new one and keep it in a ziplock bag when you do the dishes or take a dump.
    08-30-09 08:16 PM
    When you get most of the water out (using rice works best) placing the phone on top of the clothes dryer helps get the last little bit.

08-30-09 08:21 PM
    I would just be honest and file your insurance claim or have to pay in store for the certified like new replacement.

Employees look at the water indicator and typically have seen tons of different water damaged phones; so its not like you're going to pull too much of a fast one on an employee.
    08-30-09 08:27 PM
    had this happen to me at work today. called the ins company and a new one is being sent out. how can i get my phone numbers from the bad phone? it will turn on but the screen wont light up. can i just turn it on when the new one comes and transfer everything over?
    08-30-09 10:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD