I finally decided to call VZW about my trackball and heating issues. The CS service rep I talked said, "That's strange, we haven't had hardly any issues with the tour, it's been our best device!!" Can you believe that!

Of course they are sending me a "like new" from the factory so we'll see how well this one works
    10-07-09 03:30 PM
    She must be a new hire! LOL
    10-07-09 03:33 PM
    I was told the same thing when I returned mine. I asked if they have had a lot of returns, and he said no not really, "Yours is the first I've seen with a trackball problem".

And this guy wasn't a noob at this store.
    10-07-09 03:38 PM
    i can top that. i went to a vzn corp store and showed them my battery cover and how it wiggled around. they took it to the back and came back and told me all they could do was replace the battery cover, which they did. it was even worse. it was within my 30 day period and when i brought that up, they told me all the tours had loose battery covers.

very next day (my 30th day after purchase), i call customer service and they tell me they have no reported issues of tours with loose battery covers.

is there really any excuse for that?
    10-07-09 04:13 PM
    Verizon is sometimes full of crap but when you get lucky you can be rewarded very nicely

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 04:45 PM
    Watch those refurbs. Got three of them with substantial cosmetic defects. First one was a scratch on the Black top area. Second had the rubber by the external speaker hanging out. Third has the rubber like that and the gasket under the screen was hanging out on the lower left side.

Like new? I think not. After some talking and taking refurbs, I got a lady on the phone that asked me something that was odd. She asked have you gotten a new working tour? Nope. Got my first one new, track ball, second was claimed a refurb developed a speaker issue, then three not so like new refurbs....no I have not gotten a new working tour.....She tells me hold on. Comes back saying a new one is on the way.

Got the new one been with it a touch over a week. Seems to be a trouble free device. Door is not loose but not super tight. Much better though. Track ball is spot on. This one seems like a keeper.

Anyway it took a bit and some patience but in the end they took care of this correctly.
    10-07-09 04:54 PM
    I went to the store about my trackball. They said there was nothing wrong and wouldn't replace it. I literally walked out of the store and called tech support. I said I have a trackball issue and she said that is a known issue and replaced it. No argument at all. The stores don't know crap about tech issues.
    10-07-09 05:39 PM
    verizon is trained to lie. its a business, so if you settle for their attempt to make it seem like your the only one, then you wont get any more.
    10-07-09 05:39 PM
    verizon is trained to lie. its a business, so if you settle for their attempt to make it seem like your the only one, then you wont get any more.
    The way I taught 'em.
    10-07-09 05:44 PM
    A good example of the lying is that I was sold a Tour 7 days ago after the sales-weenie told me about all the features including the built-in GPS. After spending the entire weekend trying to get it to work, I called the store and they had me try a few things then gave me a customer support number to call. I called customer support, worked with them for 20 minutes after which they had me do a data wipe and start over and the GPS still no worky. Went to the store where they worked on it for 2 hours 10 minutes switching to another Tour, talked to their own customer support where they had them try more stuff. Then they called Blackberry support and eventually handed the phone to me to talk with them myself for 44 minutes until the Blackberry guy FINALLY told me that Verizon had intentionally crippled the GPS so I had to buy the Verizon $10 per month GPS plan.

Of course no one had complained of this problem to anyone's knowledge. Either they lie (likely) or they are all amazingly stupid people.

Needless to say I was PO'ed. But I kept what was left of the phone because it is still a great phone and eventually I will find a hack here that will actually work.

FA
    10-07-09 06:11 PM
    it is not cripled. i have been using garmin on several tours.
    10-07-09 06:25 PM
    ... Then they called Blackberry support and eventually handed the phone to me to talk with them myself for 44 minutes until the Blackberry guy FINALLY told me that Verizon had intentionally crippled the GPS so I had to buy the Verizon $10 per month GPS plan...
    Verizon doesn't cripple the GPS (anymore). Your device may have a bad GPS or it was an overcast day and couldn't pick up a signal?
    10-07-09 06:35 PM
    Verizon doesn't cripple the GPS (anymore). Your device may have a bad GPS or it was an overcast day and couldn't pick up a signal?
    Yes they do. We tried three, yes 3, Tours out of the box at the Verizon store and none of them could pick up any satellite outside the store in sunny Florida. My friend with a BB Curve could pick up 8 or 9 satellites immediately and was standing next to me. The Blackberry support technician stated emphatically that Verizon does this.

FA
    10-07-09 06:48 PM
    That's funny.. I used Amaze GPS today and it worked like a charm. In the rain.

10-07-09 06:54 PM
    Maybe I should try Amaze while I'm snorkeling because sure does not work in the air.
    Last edited by Floont; 10-07-09 at 07:23 PM.
    10-07-09 07:01 PM
    You know, after browsing the forum here, it sure does seem like Verizon doesn't cripple GPS anymore. But how to rationalize the fact that 3 identical Tours all couldn't locate satellites outside on a clear day. Something is odd.

I emailed some negative feedback to Verizon and I am awaiting their "official" response. What ever they say, I'll post it on the Forum somewhere.

FA
    10-07-09 07:54 PM
    I've been using GPS on all three of the Tours I have had and they worked fine. I go geocaching with my Tour and it actually works better than my Garmin Legend GPS.
    10-07-09 08:29 PM
    I've been using GPS on all three of the Tours I have had and they worked fine. I go geocaching with my Tour and it actually works better than my Garmin Legend GPS.
    I am sure you are. I don't doubt it one bit. However, 3 people I work with in the Tampa area that have purchased Tours or Curves since October 1 have crippled GPS's. Have pity on us.
    10-08-09 03:46 PM
    Tours don't have crippled GPS.

10-08-09 04:21 PM
    I am sure you are. I don't doubt it one bit. However, 3 people I work with in the Tampa area that have purchased Tours or Curves since October 1 have crippled GPS's. Have pity on us.
    Dude, NO ONE has a "crippled GPS" in their Tour. Verizon does NOT lock down the GPS chip on the Tour, period. Either you were unlucky enough to get broken ones, or you simply don't know what you're doing. I have TWO Tours, IN TAMPA and they both work perfectly. The RIM person that told you that Verizon does this is a moron and should be fired. He is confused because in previous devices Verizon DID in fact lock the GPS chip so that it would only work with VZ Navigator. That is no longer the case. I use Google Maps, BB Maps AND aMaze and they all work fine.
    10-08-09 04:24 PM
    My trackball broke and wouldnt scroll right. Took it into Verizon and asked the first guy about a replacement and he told me "do a battery pull". I told him no its a hardware issue it happens all the time on the tour and he said "no it doesn't thats the best built phone verizon sells". I told him no I looked it up and Tour trackballs break all the time and he replied "are you sure you didnt look up this phone? *holds up a curve* these are the ones with a bad trackball, the Tour is a perfect unit".
    After that he decided to replace my tour and while working in the computer he asked "were you eating when this happened?" as if it was my fault because the Tour is such a flawless device.
    Guess I can't complain too much, he gave me a brand new one out of the box, not a replacement/refubished.
    10-08-09 05:20 PM
    Dude, NO ONE has a "crippled GPS" in their Tour. Verizon does NOT lock down the GPS chip on the Tour, period. Either you were unlucky enough to get broken ones, or you simply don't know what you're doing. I have TWO Tours, IN TAMPA and they both work perfectly. The RIM person that told you that Verizon does this is a moron and should be fired. He is confused because in previous devices Verizon DID in fact lock the GPS chip so that it would only work with VZ Navigator. That is no longer the case. I use Google Maps, BB Maps AND aMaze and they all work fine.
    So how do I get my tour, my work mate's curve and another work mate's tour's GPS working since it is not crippled. The RIM guy is likely a moron, I agree. However, the fact is, the store rep (301 & Big Bend Road) in SE Tampa now thinks that I am SOL. They will not exchange it, especially since they tried another one out of the box and it did not work either. BBmaps does not work. Google does not work. Amaze does not work. Blackstar does not work. I am used to devices that use GPS receivers. I set them up at work, so I have an inkling of an idea of how to do a setup.

I came here initially to complain, but I now would like assistance. People telling me that their "Tour GPS works great" doesn't help me in the least. I am sure it works on their Tour. And I am sure your 2 Tours work in Tampa, but the fact remains I have tried 2 tours, I have 2 people that I personally know are technically proficient that can't get theres to work and another with a curve he bought 2 days ago that doesn't work. I called VZ and they seem useless. I talked to RIM and that guy had the best explanation, but it doesn't fit the facts with you folks here. I emailed VZ and they have not responded... big surprise.

So what to do? Oh and jjd228, I'd be happy to meet you in Tampa at a place of your choice and you can look at it and fix it if you like. It'd be worth your while. I don't seem to have any other options open at the moment.

Thanks.

FA
    10-08-09 05:22 PM
    If memory serves, the Curve is still partially crippled.

Have you, or any of the techs actually run through the gps diagnostic on the phone? Im guessing not.
    10-08-09 05:49 PM
    there was a couple job openings at VZW stores on Craigslist. I thought about it for a minute.

what is this "trackball" issue? mine gets warm but hasnt been a problem yet.
    10-08-09 05:59 PM
    Yes they do. We tried three, yes 3, Tours out of the box at the Verizon store and none of them could pick up any satellite outside the store in sunny Florida. My friend with a BB Curve could pick up 8 or 9 satellites immediately and was standing next to me. The Blackberry support technician stated emphatically that Verizon does this.

FA
    IT IS NOT CRIPPLED. Me and my wife both went through 3 tours each for various issues, on both of our 3rds finally got the GPS working pretty well. I'm telling you even tried the store demo and itlocked on in like 5 secs. I am also in florida and went to 2 different stores trying to find tours that the gps worked on. But now like I said mine works pretty well now. Doesn't wok 100% of the time. Oddly if u try vznav for free i bet it locks on in 3 secs. That was the fix they told me to try before. Did work but when I shut it down would switch back would get nothing. Yeah there are people on here using every gps progam on their tour right now, poynt, ameze, nav4all, weatherberry, google maps and bb maps with no problems. Id try another store if i was you.

Also what happened is the curve 8330 and pearl gps were locked by verizon. Part of the exclusivity contract on the storm was that verizon would unlock gps on the curve and the pearl for bbm only, but that the storm and all future bb devices would also be fully unlocked except for aGPS. So right around the time the storm came out magically my curve did start working on bb maps. I promise you your tour will work, it took us 6 phones to find 2 that work and also that inital lock on gos can take awhile.
    Last edited by theanswer3; 10-08-09 at 09:15 PM.
    10-08-09 09:05 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD