I loaded the new 284 build on my phone and now can't really do anything on my tour. When it lets me into messages it starts to receive messages I received a long time ago. When I finally get out of messages (the only way to do this is to hold the BB key and go to the home screen through task manager) I can't open any apps, even BB apps like browser. What is going on? Is there a fix? I have done a battery pull already. I would really like to read my messages, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    05-22-10 11:01 PM
    I would get rid of .591. Download one of the other 5.0 builds. I recommend .643 or
    05-22-10 11:11 PM
    What are the differences? And if possible I would prefer to stick with a VZW build so as not to void my warranty (I'm just too poor to buy a new BB if something were to go wrong).
    05-22-10 11:22 PM
    .484 is a sprint os and .643 I believe is a vzw leak os. I've used both and I prefer .643 it's solid. Very little battery drain if any and my memory is much better. No browser click issue. It just runs smooth. If you want to stick with an official os you'll need to downgrade to 4.7.
    05-22-10 11:50 PM
    The OS choice should not void your warranty. If you think you need service, you could reload an official Verizon OS. If it "dies" or stalls bricked, the odds are that Verizon will not be checking the OS anyway. I have been using the MTS OS for 4 solid months with no issues.
    05-23-10 09:27 AM
    Ditch VZW's official ..591 release. It is junk. I like 5.0.0.419 for an official release or 5.0.0.643 for a leak.

Here's how I recommend to switch an OS:

Open desktop manager and make a backup of your bb (this won't back up your 3rd party apps, use BBSAK for that, plug that into the forum search if you're not familiar with it). Close Desktop Manager when you're done making your backups as you won't need it again until later.

Go to add/remove programs and uninstall all the OS's on the computer. (If you haven't ever installed an OS using this computer, this is unnecessary.) Download and install the OS you want to downgrade (or upgrade) to. After making your backups, go to c:/program files/common files/research in motion/apploader and delete "vendor.xml" if the file you downloaded is for a different carrier than the one you're on. After making sure you have backed up your phone as mentioned above, I recommend wiping the phone (using jl_cmder, BBSAK, etc), prior to installing the new OS . In the same folder mentioned earlier, click "loader.exe".

When that finishes, your new OS should be loaded. You will have to restore your backups using DM and BBSAK manually if you wiped prior to installing the OS as recommended.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-10 09:49 AM
    Um I disagree with the above statement in that when I installed a new OS using apploader, It backed everything up automatically and reinstalled it all for me. All I had to do was input registration numbers on purchased apps that required it. I was using the standard 5.01 Desktop manager when I did this and had absolutely no issues.
    05-23-10 02:05 PM
    Um I disagree with the above statement in that when I installed a new OS using apploader, It backed everything up automatically and reinstalled it all for me. All I had to do was input registration numbers on purchased apps that required it. I was using the standard 5.01 Desktop manager when I did this and had absolutely no issues.
    I'm going to go ahead and say that apploader backed up and restored your device because you did not wipe your device as clearly stated to do in the procedure in my previous post. If you do not wipe your BB (with jl_cmder or BBSAK, etc) prior to installing your OS with apploader, then chances are it does work as you stated and make a backup and restore (although I still recommend making a backup just to be safe).

However, if you do exactly like I said and wipe your device before you use apploader to install the new OS, you will need to manually make your own backups before you wipe, and then manually restore the data after the new OS installs.

If you wipe the device first like I recommended in my previous post, the apploader will be unable to make a backup of your phone because you wiped it before you used the apploader. Make sense? This means that anyone following my procedure as written absolutely has to make their own backups and restore at the end, because of the wipe.

Please be careful about spreading misinformation. I'd hate for someone to wipe their device per my recommended procedure and lose their data because they misunderstood what circumstances you were talking about that they didn't need to make their own backups.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 05-23-10 at 03:17 PM.
    05-23-10 02:17 PM
    How about a link to .643. Is it still available?
    05-24-10 07:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD