Is it supposed to have threaded text messeging?
    That is really all I am after.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-10 07:05 AM
    I believe all 5.0 has it- that was one of the major changes between 5 and 4
    03-28-10 08:05 AM
    Yup. Tour will finally get the threaded SMS.

03-28-10 09:24 AM
    Yes it will have the threaded style sms.
    03-28-10 12:10 PM
    The threaded SMS is a nice feature.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-28-10 12:34 PM
    Doesn't it also improve battery life?

03-28-10 12:51 PM
    It is supposed to help battery life, but as things go with these matters, your mileage may vary. I've seen both positive and negative feedback from people regarding battery life.
    03-28-10 01:23 PM
    It's so sad how long VZW took to release 5.0 for the Tour. HAd it not been for leaks, I would have tossed this phone moths ago. I just jumped to .591, no complaints, eager to play with the PTT as I have not had this feature since 2004 with my Nextel.....

But why only the Tour? Shouldn't all BB get it!!!
    03-28-10 04:06 PM
    i hate threaded, can u change it
    03-28-10 04:07 PM
    i hate threaded, can u change it
    Not as yet... What's not to love though?

03-28-10 05:08 PM
    what is threaded? I dont mind how it is now. what's the diff?
    03-28-10 05:13 PM
    what is threaded? I dont mind how it is now. what's the diff?
    Threaded SMS combines the multiple messages you send/receive from a particular contact and combines them into a single conversation. Have you seen how the iPhone handles SMS? Threaded is similar to this on 5.0. It runs almost the same interface as BBM does. Works almost the same.

03-28-10 05:16 PM
    Threaded SMS combines the multiple messages you send/receive from a particular contact and combines them into a single conversation. Have you seen how the iPhone handles SMS? Threaded is similar to this on 5.0. It runs almost the same interface as BBM does. Works almost the same.

Well, that's just sucky... I like to have all my texts separate in the order it gets sent to me...is there a way to disable that? Or maybe I just shouldn't update it?
    03-28-10 07:16 PM
    Well, that's just sucky... I like to have all my texts separate in the order it gets sent to me...is there a way to disable that? Or maybe I just shouldn't update it?
    Don't update. Again, there is no way to disable it. Its actually quite nice.

03-28-10 07:21 PM

+1
    10 char
    03-28-10 07:26 PM

It would be nice to have the option to change it.
    03-28-10 07:26 PM
    It would be nice to have the option to change it.
    I get that some of you don't like the threaded SMS, but its THE most visible of the updates from 4.7 to 5.0... I can't imagine they'd have an option to do away with a major improvement to their SMS ui. Same goes with the new way in which the "lock" button works. Many people disliked the way it works in 5.0 but that's the way its staying. You just have to adapt. Personally, I feel that if the button is for muting, why wouldn't that be its function. It makes no sense for two features that go together---keyboard lock and standby---to be separated with one function assigned to a button intended for muting a call, music, whatever. Same goes for SMS. Why load down the "message" folder with milions of SMS when they can be threaded together in a conversation? That's the way most users use SMS anyways, conversationally back and forth and so on... It is not only aesthetically much more pleasing, it has a practical purpose too in de-cluttering the folders up. You don't lose any of the features/abilities you have now (that I know of anyways) and you get a couple of "positives" out of the deal.

In all honestly, neither change is really that big of a deal but are simply more convenient. Simply pressing one button instead of two is nice. Same goes for SMS. Having an entire conversation at hand and in one place beats the **** out of separated SMS scattered amidst emails and other messages all jammed into one folder.

Of course, I guess, its a matter of personal preference, but I don't see too much of a downside to this all. Its just slightly different. After a day, you're used to it and wondering how you lived with the features the way they were before. Honest!

03-28-10 07:40 PM
    I'm a new BB user but I really don't like the "everything dumped into one folder" paradigm.

While I would definitely like the threaded SMS in general (been using PalmOS for years and they had that first), I hope it doesn't lose important capabilities, ie:

- Individual message date/timestamp (The Palm Pre does this with messages older than ~24 hours and it drove me nuts, and was one of the reasons I now have a BB)

- Preserve the ability to open an individual message by itself for certain purposes., ie forwarding, copy/pasting, etc. (This was another problem with WebOS)

If the new BB threaded SMS maintains these abilities, I would have no problem with it.

What I would *really* like though is the ability to selectively separate SMS, email, PIN msgs, call log events and so on out of the "one big dump folder". I've already separated SMS and email that way, but I think there are a lot of other UI improvements they could make there.

That screen (and the phone dialer screen, for that matter) are also really visually ugly. Just an ugly text list - reminds me of MSDOS.
    03-28-10 10:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD