new phones.

I went to get a replacement phone today during lunch break.. Tried it out, trackball sucked so I came back after work.

I asked for another replacement and he said "RIM knows that theres a hardware problem and theyre going to send new, working phones" He said, "The best thing u can do, is return ur phone now, since its still within 30 days, and then re-purchase it in 2 weeks"

anyone buying this?

PS... the 2nd replacement i got was better, but the trackball still gets stuck (WTF)
    08-14-09 07:03 PM
    Its software not hardware

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 07:05 PM
    Its actually a bit of both. The software updates do not fix all of it, but the affected devices are a small percentage.
    08-14-09 07:06 PM
    agreed. i went to get my phone replaced today and they have to fedex me one on monday. i just developed a trackball problem and when i try to scroll left it will scroll right, and it also feels like something is making the trackball stick. hope i get a good one!
    08-14-09 07:10 PM
    yea thats the thing.. my trackball sticks when im going right

it doesnt feel like its software thing.. u can PHYSICALLY FEEL the difference in the ball

I'd love to believe it.. but i dont see how the software update can fix that
    08-14-09 07:12 PM
    yea thats the thing.. my trackball sticks when im going right

it doesnt feel like its software thing.. u can PHYSICALLY FEEL the difference in the ball

I'd love to believe it.. but i dont see how the software update can fix that
    i actually read your post today and went to the verizon store right after that! you can definitely feel something thats sticking to the trackball sometimes when you are trying to move it
    08-14-09 07:17 PM
    i actually read your post today and went to the verizon store right after that! you can definitely feel something thats sticking to the trackball sometimes when you are trying to move it
    yea people suggest putting a little bit of rubbing alcohol on it.. but i dunno

im hoping maaaaybe u have to break it in more? but once again, im sure thats not the case

i know with other blackberrys u could buy the trackballs online and then replace ur trackball

i know that its harder to remove the trackball on the tour.. but does anyone see this happening in the future?
    08-14-09 07:21 PM
    i went to best buy to consider buying another tour...they only had one left...and it came in a few days ago. the track ball was sticking. i didn't really notice if it was left to right or whatever...but is was side to side i am sure.

i passed. not saying an os update won't fix it...just that who knows when one will come out.
    08-14-09 07:21 PM
    yea people suggest putting a little bit of rubbing alcohol on it.. but i dunno

im hoping maaaaybe u have to break it in more? but once again, im sure thats not the case

i know with other blackberrys u could buy the trackballs online and then replace ur trackball

i know that its harder to remove the trackball on the tour.. but does anyone see this happening in the future?
    i tried rubbing alcohol twice.. did not work whatsoever. i would return yours again and hope 3rd times a charm! replacing a trackball for me would be difficult because im new to blackberry and i would be scared i would somehow void my warranty
    08-14-09 07:24 PM
    replacing a trackball for me would be difficult because im new to blackberry and i would be scared i would somehow void my warranty
    yea... we'll see what people come up with
    08-14-09 07:26 PM
    IF this is true what happens to those who went over their 30 day warranty ??? Thats really F'd up if they screw over their Initial sale customers like that....
    08-14-09 07:33 PM
    i went over my 30 day warranty but they are still honoring me with a new phone. its a hardware problem thats why. the man also said a software update is coming out very soon for noted glitches with the tour. im getting my new one monday
    08-14-09 07:41 PM
    Worst case senario, there's always the 1 year warranty

08-14-09 07:43 PM
    IF this is true what happens to those who went over their 30 day warranty ??? Thats really F'd up if they screw over their Initial sale customers like that....
    If you got it from Verizon they will not screw you. I just switched to the Tour from the Storm (I went thru 5 of them) and have had it for a couple of days so no trackball issues for me yet.

With the Storm I told VZW the issue and they never hesitated in giving me a new (hehem, refurbed) one. I know a good number of people that have the Storm and it has worked fine for them, I think I just hit some bad luck with it so I'm hoping my luck changes with the Tour. I hope I don't have the trackball issues. Maybe switching to the trackpad in the new phones will do away with some of these trackball issues.
    08-14-09 07:58 PM
    i went over my 30 day warranty but they are still honoring me with a new phone. its a hardware problem thats why. the man also said a software update is coming out very soon for noted glitches with the tour. im getting my new one monday
    If they are going to fix it by an update is a software prob.

08-14-09 08:14 PM
    I Can tell you for 100% it is not software .. Also One Other .. Thing There Will Be New devices Soon As Soon as next week ...

It also is 100 % hardware ..
    08-14-09 08:24 PM
    There are hardware and software problems with every device. Nothing is 100% of only one or the other.

08-14-09 08:39 PM
    Simple solution to the trackball problem (left-right scroll). Seems to me, the trackball rings aren�t seated properly. I put my phone in standby and firmly pressed on the small ring around the trackball and buttons next to trackball. Now it works perfect!!!
    08-14-09 08:50 PM
    Again .. the Trackball is Not Software There there put together incorrectly ... i have my sources
    08-14-09 08:54 PM
    Again .. the Trackball is Not Software There there put together incorrectly ... i have my sources
    Sorry but you also have 2 posts, and there plenty of people who say they have "sources" that tell them one thing or another. So quite frankly your comments won't be recognized as truth unless you back up your statements with facts and not try to act like you're in the know. If you can contribute to the thread and provide some facts, then post them.
    08-14-09 09:01 PM
    isn't there are legal period of 90 days for in store warranty? or is it different with every store?
    08-14-09 10:27 PM
    For what it's worth, my trackball was a bit sticky on the downside. I did the press down and scroll trick about 7-8 times and now it works flawlessly. Of course if your trackball isn't working and you're coming up on 30 days you should definitely exchange it. But this worked for me.

Posting from my handheld. Loving vzw having come from att curve. Haven't had the chance to update my profile yet.

08-14-09 11:38 PM
    Try your trackball in the browser. If you can scroll left or right perfectly fine there, but not when on the home/app screen, then it's probably software. That's what I think anyway. My trackball isn't perfect, but it works completely fine in the browser. That can't be hardware then.
    08-15-09 12:33 AM
    See it's a gray area btw the whole hardware/software problem and what is causing it. Personally after talking to one of the reps they stated it was actually neither that would fix the problem? Then a manager came to me after having it replaced, you can not REMOVE the trackball because it is all one unit now. So instead of popping the trackball out and cleaning it, they have to replace it with a whole new unit, which is stupid on RIM's developer's part, but nicer for us! There's a lot of controversy over this right now. I have had mine replaced only once in the past 30 days, I do the notice that the trackball is starting to act a little funny again, but what the heck can we do?
    08-15-09 01:29 AM
    Must be a software- not hardware issue here. I just got mine yesterday and already began the trackball issues. I will have it replaced in the next 7 days for sure. And hopefully the come out with a better version in 2 weeks like the above post mentions.
    08-15-09 04:50 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD