Hey, I have a quick question, because this seems a bit odd to me. Basically, I bought my tour off craigslist a month or so ago. Recently my trackball has been getting progressively worse, and I decided to give verizon a call to see if they could do anything for me and to see how much it would cost, since I'm fairly certain that since I didn't purchase it directly from them, they won't cover my warranty. However, after I got through describing my problem to them, they just said "alright, we'll ship you a new phone." I was a bit surprised, but didn't want to question it. I asked him how much it was going to cost me, and he said it was free since it was under warranty. I just have to send my old phone back to them.

Now, I just got an email from them that says "Thank you for placing your order with Verizon Wireless. We wanted you to know that your Verizon Wireless order was shipped." Is this normal when getting a replacement phone? I've got a Sales Order #, so is there a way for me to check that my account isn't getting charged (I don't see the bill, since my mother handles that, and she's 2 hours away) without waiting for the billl?

Also, I keep hearing about these "green dot" tour's. Is there a way for me to tell if my phone is one of these "green dot" tour's, and is there a way for me to tell if my phone is refurbished? What should I be expecting?

Thanks!
    09-15-09 07:27 PM
    The warranty is for one year, and is attatched to the phone, not the users account, so it makes sense that they are sending you out the phone.

To check if your phone is a refurb. Go to options and click about, scroll down, it should let you know somewhere in there.
    09-15-09 07:33 PM
    Also, I keep hearing about these "green dot" tour's. Is there a way for me to tell if my phone is one of these "green dot" tour's, and is there a way for me to tell if my phone is refurbished? What should I be expecting?

Thanks!
    To check and see if it a refurb or not...goto options>about>scroll down and look for a Y or N next to the word refurbished.

Im in some what of a similar situation with sprint.

good luck
    09-15-09 07:35 PM
    How do I know if I have a green dot tour though? Should I expect that ill get one?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-09 07:41 PM
    I really hope Sprint's customer service is that hassle free.

Im going into a tech center on thrus or Friday. My only worry is I purchased my from a private owner it was brand new never activated. I called Sprint advanced tech support and told the csr my trackball was pausing and sticking a little. He said ooh okay we will overnight a new one to you. Then saw that I was still within my first 30 days and he was unable to. He said take it back to the store where I brought and have them exchange it. But I cant there is no actual store.

So I was just going to wait till after my 30 days from the activation date. To either call tech support again or walk into Sprint store. It not like it stolen or anything they wasnt have activated it or cleared the esn. And I took it a sprint store w/o tech center and my sprint guy said its all good.

Any feedback\insight from a Sprint Rep would be great...TIA
    09-15-09 07:43 PM
    As long as the phone is currently working on Sprints network now and its not reported stolen, you shouldnt have any issues.

I am not a Sprint rep, but im just speaking from past experiences.
    09-15-09 07:47 PM
    The warranty is for one year, and is attatched to the phone, not the users account, so it makes sense that they are sending you out the phone.

To check if your phone is a refurb. Go to options and click about, scroll down, it should let you know somewhere in there.
    I am not sure about your carrier, but with VZW the warr goes with the account that purcahsed it. If the proper research was done, this device would not have been replaced.
    09-15-09 07:50 PM
    How do I know if I have a green dot tour though? Should I expect that ill get one?

The box the phone comes in will have a green dot on it.
    09-15-09 07:52 PM
    I am not sure about your carrier, but with VZW the warr goes with the account that purcahsed it. If the proper research was done, this device would not have been replaced.
    Really? Hm, ya learn something new every day. So far with Sprint, and ATT in the past thats what i was familiar with. I stand corrected.
    09-15-09 07:59 PM
    I recently traded my LG Dare for a Storm through CL. The Storm wasn't n the greatest shape and wasn't responsive in the corner so I called VZW Tech Support and they sent me a replacement one of the newer builds with the single button vs 3 separate buttons. I think this is pretty common for VZW to do this.

On another note, I got my replacement Tour and its great. It was a brown box that it came in with a green dot sticker on it. Working trackball and no loose battery door.

09-15-09 08:08 PM
    So let me get this right, if a phone leave the original acct it was purchased on the 1yr warranty is void or isnt honored?
    09-15-09 08:12 PM
    I'm not going to be getting the original box though right? I'm going to get it in a refurbished box whether it's new or not correct?

Also, I'd like some more information on whether not people normally get an e-mail like this when their phone needs to be replaced? Should I be expecting a charge of some sort? I don't want to pay for anything. I'd much rather open the phone up and do the trackball fix myself.
    09-15-09 08:13 PM
    So let me get this right, if a phone leave the original acct it was purchased on the 1yr warranty is void or isnt honored?
    That's what I was told by a vzw rep when I asked before I bought the phone.

I recently traded my LG Dare for a Storm through CL. The Storm wasn't n the greatest shape and wasn't responsive in the corner so I called VZW Tech Support and they sent me a replacement one of the newer builds with the single button vs 3 separate buttons. I think this is pretty common for VZW to do this.

On another note, I got my replacement Tour and its great. It was a brown box that it came in with a green dot sticker on it. Working trackball and no loose battery door.

This gives me hope, the Storm being replaced for free that is. Your sure that you didn't get charged?

Also, thanks for clarification on the green dot sticker on the brown box. I know what to look for now.

EDIT X2: Also, I just did a search for the subject of the e-mail I got, and found some old e-mails that were exactly the same as the one I just got when my storm was replaced. Eases my mind a bit.

I don't understand the entire Verizon not allowing me to replace my phone via warranty, since I can't do it through RIM. They only allow you to do it through the carrier, and it's a Verizon phone. But I called them and asked before I bought the phone, and they told me that no, if I bought it from someone on CL, that they wouldn't replace the phone. Maybe they revoked that policy?
    Last edited by spierce7; 09-15-09 at 08:22 PM.
    09-15-09 08:15 PM
    Alright stupid question.. and I will probably get yelled at.. but what is a green dot tour?
    09-15-09 08:18 PM
    I'm not going to be getting the original box though right? I'm going to get it in a refurbished box whether it's new or not correct?

Also, I'd like some more information on whether not people normally get an e-mail like this when their phone needs to be replaced? Should I be expecting a charge of some sort? I don't want to pay for anything. I'd much rather open the phone up and do the trackball fix myself.

When i had stuff replaced via warranty exchange with ATT, theyd always send me an email to confirm the process and confirm shipping of the item. I was never charged.
    09-15-09 08:20 PM
    Alright stupid question.. and I will probably get yelled at.. but what is a green dot tour?
    Green dot is supposedly what is seen on the boxes of phones received via warranty exchange i believe that symbolize theyve been inspected and are working as expected, minus the screen ripple effect or trackball issue.

Ive also seen a thread where a guy said his friend is a Verizon rep and was so annoyed by everyone asking for a green dot tour he placed a green dot on all the boxes.
    09-15-09 08:21 PM
    not necessarily

he got his in a brown box (new)_ http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/al...4/#post3593993
    09-15-09 08:22 PM
    Would not honored by VZW, I am sure that RIM would honor it
    09-15-09 08:24 PM
    NOt a dumb question. The green dot is to signify and sperate units that were mfg prior to the green dots. Now these have been out for a bit and any stock that may have issues, should have been purged.
    09-15-09 08:27 PM
    Would not honored by VZW, I am sure that RIM would honor it
    I just called Sprint and ask about the 1yr man/warranty after a phone leave the original acct. And she said the warranty still stands, Im hoping she is correct Im going down to the sprint store in the morning.
    09-15-09 08:48 PM
    It actually would have been, with a 50 dollar warranty fee. If you buy from someone else but it is still under warranty, they will still cover it. I've had this done. No, it was not insurance, as verizon handled it, not assurion.
    09-15-09 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD