Hello, I'm not currently a blackberry user, however I'm about to jump on the Tour train when it's released. Right now I'm comparing Verizon to Sprint.

I always hear about how locked down Verizon devices are (it shows, even a dumbphone).

Now that Verizon has lifted some of its limitations on gps, is that a thing of the past? What can I expect to NOT do on Verizon's Tour that I COULD do on Sprint, e.g. run a Golf GPS program

thanks
    06-30-09 11:05 PM
    Hello, I'm not currently a blackberry user, however I'm about to jump on the Tour train when it's released. Right now I'm comparing Verizon to Sprint.

I always hear about how locked down Verizon devices are (it shows, even a dumbphone).

Now that Verizon has lifted some of its limitations on gps, is that a thing of the past? What can I expect to NOT do on Verizon's Tour that I COULD do on Sprint, e.g. run a Golf GPS program

thanks

gps works fine..

what is locked is aGPS..

which simply helps to get satellites faster...

all programs for GPS that I have tried on the storm work fine..
    06-30-09 11:07 PM
    with verizon turn by turn GPS is an option and cost extra to get, with sprint and available data plan will have GPS included. best thing to do is find out what carrier has better coverage in your area and decide that way. but if coverages are identical then sprint would be the better choice because they have way cheaper plans.
    07-01-09 12:00 AM
    With VZ you get your phone calls.
    07-01-09 12:04 AM
    lol

Also I havent had any problems using gps on my VZW blackberry. Ive used it with ubertwitter, blackberry maps, and google maps several times.
    07-01-09 12:33 AM
    funny you say that cuz when i had verizon i was not. infact i was dropping more calls then i do with sprint..
    07-01-09 01:04 AM
    what else do you get besides 'your phone calls'? With those prices, I'd expect a happy ending.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 01:17 AM
    funny you say that cuz when i had verizon i was not. infact i was dropping more calls then i do with sprint..

its funny you say that.. as a big portion of sprints coverage is verizon towers..
    07-01-09 05:05 AM
    what else do you get besides 'your phone calls'? With those prices, I'd expect a happy ending.

Besides your phone calls? We are talking about a "telephone", right?
    07-01-09 05:40 AM

thanks
    As others stated, make sure the coverage is great in your area. Don't make your decision based on popularity and what you see in commercials. If Verizon is perfect in your area, go for it. If not, go with Sprint. The final decision is up to you.
    07-01-09 05:48 AM
    it looks as if vz willhave the tour 1-2 wks ahead of sprint so if you want it on july 12..go with vz..

If you can wait a few weeks I would strongly suggest you check coverage and price of real plans... and phone features (one carrier may have wi-fi etc).. then items such as ease of tethering, or additional fees for basic services are as important in addition to the relative cost of a min/txt/data plan..

thanks
    07-01-09 06:52 AM
    I recommend waiting a few weeks after release and see what people post here. VZW os best network, but does still have some holes. I know my Companies office in maryland is in a big ole deadzone. Also you can just check a tour out in the VZV store if you can change GPS setting from E911 only default.

07-01-09 06:55 AM
    its funny you say that.. as a big portion of sprints coverage is verizon towers..
    that's why we have free roaming my friend.. i don't care where my service is coming from just as long as i get my calls in. BUT just to clarify a little, i travel up and down the east coast from NY to my property in tampa not once have i roamed. but im not saying i never roamed cuz it did happen i think once in the years i have sprint. lol
    07-01-09 09:46 AM

Besides your calls, you get better customer service than Sprint, who is currently ranked dead last in wireless phone customer service, for many years now. And you get a much larger mobile to mobile calling base. With Sprint, on the other hand, that mobile to mobile calling base is steadily descreasing, with Sprint's industry leading 1million+ customer loss every quarter. I hope that this answers your question.
    07-01-09 10:13 AM
    that's why we have free roaming my friend.. i don't care where my service is coming from just as long as i get my calls in. BUT just to clarify a little, i travel up and down the east coast from NY to my property in tampa not once have i roamed. but im not saying i never roamed cuz it did happen i think once in the years i have sprint. lol
    I use verizon for the coverage. some people use the argument that sprint can roam on verizon, but if you in an area that has full verizon bars, and only 1 sprint bar, its still gonna use the sprint network.

on top of that, blackberrys are the least locked down phone on verizon, and i look forward to the 9630 with great anticipation
    Last edited by Teksu; 07-01-09 at 10:20 AM.
    07-01-09 10:16 AM
    Since GPS on the Tour is apparently enabled through Verizon, a 3rd party Golf GPS application should work fine, correct?
    07-01-09 10:26 AM
    I use verizon for the coverage. some people use the argument that sprint can rome on verizon, but if you in an area that has full verizon bars, and only 1 sprint bar, its still gonna use the sprint network.

on top of that, blackberrys are the least locked down phone on verizon, and i look forward to the tour with great anticipation
    that could be a possibility i have not seen it happen.. Sprint i guess has to have no service at all to go into roaming, which is not a bad thing. but even with 1 bar of signal on a sprint phone it holds calls with out dropping and you still get 3g. I have never put down or talked bad about verizons service check out my posts. my gripe is why pay so much more when i get Identical service and pay less and get more with Sprint.
    07-01-09 10:26 AM
    Since GPS on the Tour is apparently enabled through Verizon, a 3rd party Golf GPS application should work fine, correct?
    programs like google maps should have no problem with it, but in order to get turn by turn GPS like a garmin you need to pay extra.
    07-01-09 10:28 AM
    I dropped more calls with VZW as well, but their customer service was king...

Of course there was that one time when they accused me of stealing a phone, but that was the rep's fault.
    07-01-09 10:48 AM
    as far as the OPs original question, aGPS is locked, independant GPS is not. There is a difference, however, the stardard and most efficiant way to do mobile GPS is indeed locked down perminantly. Since the lader works ok, it keeps storm users happy and I would imagine, Tour users as well.

The device still will not have wifi and even though its not considered a locked down (it does not have a wifi radio), its an omition to the device and is a function that none the less, verizon customers will not have. Interpret that as you will.

The GSM sim card will be locked down, however, if it follows the same trend as the storm, users will be able to call in to have it unlocked when they travel. Will it be guaranteed? Probably not since the school of thought then becomes, "then why lock it in the first place?" Maybe to prevent ppl from using it on GSM carriers? Either way, you will probably have to buy the Tour and hope that it does follow the storm trend and allow unlocks per user request. And I'm confident it will... I'd sense an uproar if it did become more complicated
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 07-01-09 at 11:03 AM.
    07-01-09 10:59 AM
    Leave it to Verizon to still find a way to take something away from the user . aGps + Google Maps = Mega win
    07-01-09 11:07 AM
    I'd check your coverage for both..Honestly if both are the same sprint is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper.. My plan on verizon for 450mins and unlim text and data was $108 a month or 99.99 a month plus taxes. You can get 900mins with the same plus they give you gps nav included and nights and weekends that start at 7 for 69.99. That's $30 savings plus more mins and more features. So if the coverage in your area is good for both then it should be an easy decision
    07-01-09 11:12 AM
    as far as the OPs original question, aGPS is locked, independant GPS is not. There is a difference, however, the stardard and most efficiant way to do mobile GPS is indeed locked down perminantly. Since the lader works ok, it keeps storm users happy and I would imagine, Tour users as well.

The device still will not have wifi and even though its not considered a locked down (it does not have a wifi radio), its an omition to the device and is a function that none the less, verizon customers will not have. Interpret that as you will.

The GSM sim card will be locked down, however, if it follows the same trend as the storm, users will be able to call in to have it unlocked when they travel. Will it be guaranteed? Probably not since the school of thought then becomes, "then why lock it in the first place?" Maybe to prevent ppl from using it on GSM carriers? Either way, you will probably have to buy the Tour and hope that it does follow the storm trend and allow unlocks per user request. And I'm confident it will... I'd sense an uproar if it did become more complicated
    Dude, just get a Tour, and shut up! lol jk, Sup, dude? I'm getting a free Tour, and then upgrading to the Storm 2 when that comes out, unless I get a free Storm 2, which is also a possibility. These phones are just getting better and better. Only issue I have with the Tour's specs are no wifi, but other than that it's great. Unlocking the phone is as simple as making a phone call to Verizon. GPS works well with just about all apps, so, it's looking good so far.
    07-01-09 11:14 AM
    Leave it to Verizon to still find a way to take something away from the user . aGps + Google Maps = Mega win
    What carrier and phone do you know that uses "agps" with Google Maps? I know that isn't the case with VZW, Sprint, Tmo, or with AT&T. Yes, regular gps works, but not agps with google maps.
    07-01-09 11:17 AM
    Dude, just get a Tour, and shut up! lol jk, Sup, dude? I'm getting a free Tour, and then upgrading to the Storm 2 when that comes out, unless I get a free Storm 2, which is also a possibility. These phones are just getting better and better. Only issue I have with the Tour's specs are no wifi, but other than that it's great. Unlocking the phone is as simple as making a phone call to Verizon. GPS works well with just about all apps, so, it's looking good so far.
    sup dude, u lucky bast! I tell ya what tho. When you get your free Storm 2, you can pass that Tour right this way and I'll adopt it with pleasure, lol

my almost new, wifiless blackberry with the most complex set of GPS systems in the history of smart phones
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 07-01-09 at 11:25 AM.
    07-01-09 11:22 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD