I called from my cell because I have Cablevision VOIP for home phone and when I called Verizon it was actually cheeper to add the international service for the two weeks my wife was away.

Cablevision was a monthly charge. I called verizon and they put the service on for the 2 weeks. It was like $2 for the access and then was a decent enough rate that I always called her.

***** Cablevision now offers a pay one price for $20 a month for unlimited international calls. So I can now cqall from my home. Not sure if this is available for just one month and such.
    07-09-09 02:34 PM
    I'll be getting a Tour before I take a cruise this summer to Grand Turk and the Bahamas. I'd like to make only a couple of brief phone calls to family, knowing roaming charges are a lot. However, since my phone will be connected to my company's BES, does this mean that everytime I turn the phone on I'll get charged for work emails that get picked up (I'd rather not pay for that or even see the emails until I'm home!)
    If anyone has any information on this or can point me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative.
    Thanks.
    07-15-09 10:37 PM
    You should be able to turn DATA off while the phone remains on.

I don't know about BES but on bis, you could change your filters to screen out some or all email.
    07-15-09 11:52 PM
    I am traveling in Europe (Germany, Spain, Austria, Italy, Scotland) for the next 3 months. The internet sticks they give me at the apartments I'm staying in suck and so using Skype to call the States with my laptop is out. I have the Blackberry Tour with the global data plan and have been using it for internet etc. with the original sim card. I have a disposable cell for calls to Europe. I downloaded Skype onto my crackberry but I can't use it while I'm out of the States. Who knows of another program I can download to make calls with my blackberry? Or, is there a way to get around this Skype app knowing I'm in Europe? Calling cards are really expensive when you call mobile to mobile which is all I have and my friends and family have back home so that's no good either. What would you do?
    06-12-10 03:37 PM
    w my tour (verizon), can I txt and bbm for no additional cost while overseas?
    06-13-10 01:11 PM
    w my tour (verizon), can I txt and bbm for no additional cost while overseas?
    I don't do either but unless you opt for some form of Global plan from verizon, you will be paying for data.
    06-13-10 04:23 PM
    Sorry if these have been explained already, but I had a couple questions.

Skype mobile wont work overseas?

And if my phone is unlocked I would be able to get a global data plan from verizon for emails and bbm, but still switch out to a local sim card for phone calls and that would be less expensive?

Thanks for any help.
    06-13-10 09:30 PM
    Skype will only work on the Verizon network which means the US.

If the phone is unlocked, you can use other sim cards so you could swap. You have to call verizon to get it unlocked for free or pay some 3rd party. The verizon sim for data/email.
    06-13-10 10:53 PM
    Pay as you go BIS, the best option as this phone does not have wifi. In Malaysia, tried activating BIS and I had to make a few calls and waited for 2 days before they could send service books.

In Singapore, BIS a no show, they just do not have support for the Tour.

In Germany, there is no pay as you go BIS, but I brought a Javelin with a Malaysian BIS Sim inside, tried wifi, and voila! BBM & emai messages poured in. Of course removing the Sim removed the HRTs and there is no undoing that.

Indonesia and Thailand works great with pay as you go daily BIS on Tour. SimPati & 1-2-Call respectively.

There a thread I can contribute for pay as you go?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-10 03:16 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD