Tried to take a screenshot but I can't get Quicklaunch to open in Picture Folders.

I was using Media Sync to take some selected pictures off my Tour and put them on my PC. I noticed when I was done all contents of my Picture Folders were on my PC. So I reversed the process with Media Sync to get my Wallpaper images back on the Tour. I specifically ticked off only the images I wanted to transfer back to Tour. Long story short every freakin' picture I had taken off the Tour transferred back (which I didn't want), along with Wallpaper (which I did want). Also pics were duplicated. First set went into designated folders they came from, duplicate pics were just sitting there not in a designated folder. (I deleted the dups).
    But I don't know how/why "user" or "Music" landed in Picture Folders and I'm not sure if it's safe to remove?

I wish I could offer a screen shot,
    I'll try to do a folder tree.

This is what it looks like now:

Media icon home screen > Pictures option>Pictures Folder
    Camera
    Family
    Misc
    Music
    QL backgrounds
    user
    Wallpaper

(below Wallpaper folder, displayed in rows, were all the duplicate pics that transferred back, which I then deleted.)

When I open "Music" folder there is a folder "Media Sync" and shown just below that, not in a folder, is one of my wallpaper images. If I open Media Sync folder there is my songs playlist by Artist. (However, playlist is also still in Music where it's supposed to be.)

If I open "user" folder, these are folders shown:
    Camera
    audiobooks
    documents
    music
    pictures
    PocketInformant
    (that was a trial once I never installed)
    podcasts
    ringtones
    videos
    voicenotes
    youmail

(below that, not in a folder, sits a pic of a berryweather screenshot from January. That was a trial app also that I did not purchase, nor did I take the screenshot.)

A battery pull had no effect. I'd appreciate any advice.
    02-19-10 12:55 PM
    First, I would make sure that you have the photos backed up on your computer before anything else.

Next, using Wind's Explorer, make sure that you have hidden and file extensions showing. Search each folder and delete BBthumb.dat files - those are the indexes to media-type files. Pull the battery. If that did not clean it up and you are sure you have backups where you want them, go and delete either the pictures or folders or both.

The results you've seen are why I really have problems with things that ATTEMPT to sync my files. Automation is fine except when it goes haywire! I recently used Media Monkey to try creating playlists on my BB. It may have done that but it also copied all of my music files somewhere else, too. Not what I wanted.
    02-19-10 01:31 PM
    Thanks F2!
    Actually, I'd love to use Explorer over automated software. That's what I was trying to do before resulting to Media Sync (I'm not big on automated software either.) But there appears to be a problem with explorer seeing the SD card on my Tour. I've never really delved too deeply into SD card till now. What I see in my Explorer drive path is Blackberry with all its folders, but I read in a couple places on the web the SD card should also show as a separate drive, different from Blackberry? Is that correct?
    02-19-10 01:39 PM
    Thanks F2!
    Actually, I'd love to use Explorer over automated software. That's what I was trying to do before resulting to Media Sync (I'm not big on automated software either.) But there appears to be a problem with explorer seeing the SD card on my Tour. I've never really delved too deeply into SD card till now. What I see in my Explorer drive path is Blackberry with all its folders, but I read in a couple places on the web the SD card should also show as a separate drive, different from Blackberry? Is that correct?
    I don't really know the answer about how it SHOULD show. I know my various usb devices do show up differently. One camera shows up two ways (as camera and as drive), the other camera just as a drive. My mp3 player shows up as an mp3-zen player but not drive. My BB's sd shows up as a drive (the internal does not show up at all). My Tomtom shows up as two drives - its internal and sd card show up as separate drives.

So, as long as you see what you think should be there, it sounds good.
    02-19-10 02:30 PM
    I see that often with various peripherals too, so get what you're saying.
    I'm part way to figuring this out. (Lack of sleep and too much income tax prep is making me loopy.)

Media on home screen, tap BB menu button, select Explore
    Two folders appear:
    Media Card
    Device Memory

Checking Media Card folders comfirms what I'm seeing in Win Explorer is indeed the SD card contents, not BB's Device content.

But then I went to:

Device Memory>home>user which lists the following files:
    audiobooks
    documents
    music
    pictures
    PocketInformant
    podcasts
    ringtones
    videos
    voicenotes
    youmail

Those 'user' files are identical to what showed up in Media>Pictures>Picture Folders>user (as listed in my opening post above).

If I go to Picture Folder>User>BB Menu>Properties, the file path is listed as /DeviceMemory/home/user/ . So if I'm comprehending this, the Picture Folder/User properties shows the correct file path, yet it's physically sitting in the wrong location in Picture Folder. How can that be?
    02-19-10 03:51 PM
    I am now pretty confused and I haven't even contemplated my taxes (turbotax sits on a shelf). Just don't fly into any IRS buildings.

I think something in your sync wound up replicating folders if not files. The USER folder in INTERNAL memory is pretty much a mirror of the BB folder on the SD card. In my case, I have very few files. I do have berryweather and so that jpg, but I also have one of my own ringtones and my wallpaper in Internal memory.

So if there's stuff inside that does not really belong copy it if you want to be sure and then delete the extraneous stuff. .
    02-19-10 06:38 PM
    Hey, F2, I got it fixed!
    I found this post from Bold forum:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/be...r-help-395847/

As soon as I removed BerryWeather wallpaper (and only that, nothing else),
    I did a battery pull, went back into Picture Folders and "user" was gone. Woohoo!
    Media Sync with my playlist was still there. I planned on deleting it, but did a switch app to read a new email and when I went back to Pic Folders Media Sync was gone too.

So, Bweather was what did that, even tho I just used a trial I did try their wallpaper feature for just a bit.

Thank you so much for your interest and help!
    I have learned something new here, and that always feels good. I mastered building my PC but this little bitty berry can really confuse sometimes!

I would like to clear up one thing so I have it straight if you don't mind indulging me one last time:
    You said: The USER folder in INTERNAL memory is pretty much a mirror of the BB folder on the SD card.
    Am I interpreting that statement correctly, that the SD card USER folder is the primary/critical one, and USER in Device Mem is secondary/non-critical? (I had presumed that user folder in Device Memory was primary/critical to some operations, and the one on media was a duplicate. )
    02-20-10 10:28 AM
    Just got back from hiking in the snow (pacific northWET snow - well, actually ICE) we in the Cascades are mirroring what you might see in the Olympics.

The FOLDER names mirror each other. In other words, there are the Ringtone, Picture, video, music, etc folders both in Internal Memory (under user) and on the SD card (under Blackberry). Other than moving files into or out of the INTERNAL folders, do NOT mess with them.

I placed an mp3 into music to serve as my Alarm tune (House of the Rising sun) and I placed my jpg into Pictures so my wallpaper would be present. If they were only on the SD card, then when the usb cable is attached and MassStorage mode is on, those file would not be found (so alarm would not sound my tune). And on reboot, I could not figure out why my wallpaper changed back to Default - well, I reboot a lot with the usb cable attached.
    02-20-10 05:58 PM
    Thanks for the input, it helps! (And I like your taste in music )

Enjoy that great scenery, what a place to live!
    02-23-10 06:24 AM
    Actually, most of my music is classical with "rock and roll" from the 60's - my, ahem, formative years. Speaking of 60's - that's where I am, too!!! (sniff).

Yup, Seattle and environs is a fine place to be and this somewhat "winter" has been odd with lots of dry.
    02-23-10 08:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD